Twenty six inch barrels.

DUNKS

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose all fads go in circles ! When I started shooting 25/26" barrels were the thing to have ,along with light chokes and 7 shot ,even skeet guns were almost all 26" ,how did they manage?????LOL.

One thing that may get people back to those guns is the realisation that lugging a 30" sporter around rough shooting etc is no fun!

I can't give a yes or no answer to fashion. As I don't know or care .

I do know of some of the plus sides and negative aspects  of shorter barrels though 

So this post isn't for dunks.

I have 2 shot guns with 26 inch barrels .an ou.and a sa.  I chose these as I find them much more manageable in a small hide  close to a hedge .also I intend to fit moderators to both of them in the future and the shorter the better .

They kill just as well as any other barrel length imo.

They are louder  and as the gun is shorter and lighter there can be a bit more recoil and muzzle lift .(the mod will stop the above ) 

Thats about it .

For those who are interested  and maybe considering a shorter barreled gun .

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, have always favoured the shorter barrel, back in the 1970s 1980s it was the XXV 25s, mine are 26 and find that best for my shooting, 

I too went through the short is best syndrome in the early 70's. I bought an AyA 25" boxlock, couldn't hit a thing with it so chopped it for an AyA No. 2. with 26" barrels. I hit most things with that. So, the proof being that an extra inch DOES make all the difference  !     :whistling: 

Good thread this . When I first dabbled with shooting short barrels were all the rage anything 28 or longer seemed old fashioned or purist trap gun. After a break of nearly 40 years and returning to shooting I was surprised to see no more 26 inch guns about. 

One thing is for sure, if you look on gun trader or other places advertising guns there are plenty around offered for sale. Plenty seem to be old miroku skeet guns. You may not be getting a lot of barrel for your money but you are certainly getting a lot of gun. Although it will never be proven , I suspect the bird or animal on the receiving end would not have a clue if it was a 26 inch or 32 inch that had just sent it to the next world.

First time I saw a short barrelled gun I was standing close to the guy who was using it, lovely chap and i had to ask him was his occupation a bank robber judging from the short barrels, he was end gun in the line and everything that was missed and doing top speed coming over him he was on like lightning with how fast the gun handled and missed very little.

Short barrels get a thumbs up from me.

On the otherhand there was my friends dad who shot rabbits with a 36" barrel hammer gun with full and full chokes, 60yard rabbits were a regular occurance.

On 27/02/2021 at 17:56, islandgun said:

Well ive read that 26" barrels are fashionable by 3 people in the Guns and equipment forum over the last 24hrs, so they must be, which makes me very cool.😎

Sorry, I'm sure you're ice cool, but my reference was a cheeky dig at fashion victims. 🙊

Edited by Mr.C
Sausage fingers

Guest cookoff013

i`ve always loved short barreled guns, 

i wanted a short 24" 12gauge or 20gauge, light and nimble. 

in this modern era of cartridges, there is rarely a bad shell, if one just uses normal shells at normal speeds, patterns just happen, even through any length barrel. and with many different (and fasionable) shotsizes. 
i`ve 28-32" guns, but they are usually shooting 1400fps+ loads and the odd subsonics. 

1 hour ago, Mr.C said:

Sorry, I'm sure you're ice cool, but my reference was a cheeky dig at fashion victims. 🙊

My short barrelled purchases were made at the height of the long length is favourite fashion, thus proving that its not the size its what you do with it

4 minutes ago, islandgun said:

My short barrelled purchases were made at the height of the long length is favourite fashion, thus proving that its not the size its what you do with it

Best time to buy what is deemed unfashionable, savings can be significant.

I'm 1.75m tall (That's 5' 9.5" for you fossils) in my socks, so I find a barrel 28" or below tends to stay out of the mud a lot better than a 30" job.

A 26" would likely be even better, and swing well

But given the mass of the *** is proportional to the motion of the ocean (conservation of momentum), I suspect a 26" would impart more felt recoil. 

Impossible to tell without trying, of course.  Might've made a 26" purchase recently...

Fashion, what's that?

24 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I'm 1.75m tall (That's 5' 9.5" for you fossils) in my socks, so I find a barrel 28" or below tends to stay out of the mud a lot better than a 30" job.

A 26" would likely be even better, and swing well

But given the mass of the *** is proportional to the motion of the ocean (conservation of momentum), I suspect a 26" would impart more felt recoil. 

Impossible to tell without trying, of course.  Might've made a 26" purchase recently...

Fashion, what's that?

Hello, I think it depends on the cartridge, my OU has 26 inch barrels and weighs 6.5 llbs,  i can shoot most 28 grammes with ease  but not high  velocity, going back to the 1970/80s the XXV box lock I had the Eley Impax was the prefered cartridge, and never like those cheap imports as some were like cannon fodder, gun fit must be part of the equation when assessing a suitable cartridge, 

44 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I suspect a 26" would impart more felt recoil.

I think you are quite right, but possibly not for quite the reason of simply mass and momentum.  I have found that barrels below 28" tend to suffer 'flip' upwards for me.

This may be due to my (poor/) style/gunmount, bad fit (i don't believe it was that) - or whatever, but I'm not alone in suffering upward flip with short barrels.  In practice this means that it slows any second barrel shot, and I tend to feel the recoil more on the face/cheek than usual.  I can't say I notice much difference at the shoulder (given the same weight of gun).

I have 27", 28" and 30" barrels in the cupboard - and fine 28" suits me best.

I am (even) shorter than you, though by only a couple of inches or less, so a shorter barrel is an easier carry for me.

52 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think you are quite right, but possibly not for quite the reason of simply mass and momentum.  I have found that barrels below 28" tend to suffer 'flip' upwards for me.

This may be due to my (poor/) style/gunmount, bad fit (i don't believe it was that) - or whatever, but I'm not alone in suffering upward flip with short barrels.  In practice this means that it slows any second barrel shot, and I tend to feel the recoil more on the face/cheek than usual.  I can't say I notice much difference at the shoulder (given the same weight of gun).

I have 27", 28" and 30" barrels in the cupboard - and fine 28" suits me best.

I am (even) shorter than you, though by only a couple of inches or less, so a shorter barrel is an easier carry for me.

Wait until you get onto HP steel! 🙂

Just now, Scully said:

Wait until you get onto HP steel! 🙂

I won't be using HP steel.  Standard steel (when suitable case length and wadding are more available) - yes, but HP very unlikely as my guns generally would be too light - both for recoil and HP proof stresses.