Lead shot for live quarry - a five-year transition, not a one-year solution

Conor O'Gorman

I know the GWCT survey has had some stick on PW above. However they have done sterling work recently with robust evidence against Wild Injustice. Let’s keep supporting them - even if the form is slightly irritating.......?! On the plus side it only takes about 30 seconds to complete. 

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Fellside said:

I know the GWCT survey has had some stick on PW above. However they have done sterling work recently with robust evidence against Wild Injustice. Let’s keep supporting them - even if the form is slightly irritating.......?! On the plus side it only takes about 30 seconds to complete. 

Fair enough, but I can’t see the point of a survey which has no bearing other than those answers they seek, which is why I only filled in the comments section. It’s the only option if they’re genuinely interested in what shooters think. 
I know plenty of shooters who have expressed their intention to use lead shot until it is no longer manufactured, and with a new lead load cartridge having just been introduced it would seem they aren’t the only ones not on board. 

51 minutes ago, Scully said:

Fair enough, but I can’t see the point of a survey which has no bearing other than those answers they seek, which is why I only filled in the comments section. It’s the only option if they’re genuinely interested in what shooters think. 
I know plenty of shooters who have expressed their intention to use lead shot until it is no longer manufactured, and with a new lead load cartridge having just been introduced it would seem they aren’t the only ones not on board. 

Points, well said.  +1

19 hours ago, Scully said:

So there you go. Fill yer boots and have your say. 🙂

I thought I'd give it a go. However, as per BASC they're not interested in what I may have to say as I didn't shoot driven game this last season. Come to think about it, is there such a thing in the UK as an organiisation which has any interest in vermin shooters - other than doing nothing else but accept their subscriptions that is?

Just now, wymberley said:

I thought I'd give it a go. However, as per BASC they're not interested in what I may have to say as I didn't shoot driven game this last season. Come to think about it, is there such a thing in the UK as an organiisation which has any interest in vermin shooters - other than doing nothing else but accept their subscriptions that is?

👍You can have your say in the section made available for comments. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

👍You can have your say in the section made available for comments. 

I took it that the comments bit was also related to the survey. All too difficult, I'll just keep under the radar now. I'll have knocked it on the head by the time there's any legislative change.

On 04/03/2021 at 18:07, wymberley said:

Was it not BASC who sorted out the GLs when they were removed ? or have you forgotten that so quickly ?  they have also ensured the current ones are workable. 

20 hours ago, Terry2016 said:

Was it not BASC who sorted out the GLs when they were removed ? or have you forgotten that so quickly ?  they have also ensured the current ones are workable. 

I'd have been inclined to let Defra take the credit rather than be associated with devising something so complex that one admits they made so complicated that no one understands it:

“However, the terms and conditions are more complex than the current versions they replace and where necessary BASC will continue to make representation to Defra and produce guidance and advice to help people interpret them.”

On 04/03/2021 at 19:07, wymberley said:

Interest in vermin shooters?!  Maybe the £100,000+ BASC spent on the Welsh general license case may help you answer that? Ain’t no game birds on a General License.

Edited by scolopax

19 minutes ago, London Best said:

There is no ban at the moment. It is only a suggestion.

I stand corrected; of course it’s a suggested ‘voluntary phase out’ at the moment, no doubt leading to a suggested complete ban following next seasons post mortems of shot game! 🙂

On 10/03/2021 at 20:01, clangerman said:

i have a suggestion for manufacturers ignore basc keep selling lead and we will keep buying it win win 

And,  

• What about the Ban that will inevitably happen when people do not change voluntarily?
  • What about the perception of people outside the shooting community ?
  • What about the wildlife that will continue to ingest the lead and die ?

that right you don't care about any of that or the future of shooting... all you care about is going against BASC even though it was all 9 major organisations that made the statement... 

6 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

And,  

• What about the Ban that will inevitably happen when people do not change voluntarily?
  • What about the perception of people outside the shooting community ?
  • What about the wildlife that will continue to ingest the lead and die ?

that right you don't care about any of that or the future of shooting... all you care about is going against BASC even though it was all 9 major organisations that made the statement... 

have a large stock pile of lead if you wish to look a fool ask a room if they are more concerned about the lead or the large piece of plastic it comes in and the plastic case it’s fired from if birds were dying from ingesting lead we would be knee deep in bodies and all would be extinct by now as for basc and co this rubbish came from basc from the amount voting with their feet the other orgs won’t rush to join ideas from basc again any fool who’s calls for a ban affects MY shooting so will hear about it like it or not 

23 minutes ago, clangerman said:

have a large stock pile of lead if you wish to look a fool ask a room if they are more concerned about the lead or the large piece of plastic it comes in and the plastic case it’s fired from if birds were dying from ingesting lead we would be knee deep in bodies and all would be extinct by now as for basc and co this rubbish came from basc from the amount voting with their feet the other orgs won’t rush to join ideas from basc again any fool who’s calls for a ban affects MY shooting so will hear about it like it or not 

What use is a stockpile if/ when it is banned? 

Why didn't they suggest that anything entering the commercial food chain is shot with steel or whatever non tox.  As opposed to an outright ban on all live quarry. I can't see much point in shooting crows with non toxic shot as no one eats them, and as for any game I've shot I'm not going to worry about lead too much either.

After shotguns it will no doubt creep to airguns.