UK fish species challenge

roadkill

As lockdown comes to an end me and a few mates have set up a competition for 2021 to catch as many uk coarse fish species! A point will be awarded for each species and at the end of the season an extra point to the person who has the heaviest weight.. I kicked off my hunt yesterday with a 8lbs 5 pike 

IMG_20210227_185052_364.jpg

25 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Well that sounds like a barrel of laughs! Have you got a full list of your targets? how are you defining 'course'? Do grayling count? what about game fish caught on coarse tackle?? what about mullet?? Brill start for ye; crack on sir, you have the honour of Pigeonwatch at stake!

I started to put a list together last night, please let me know if any more need adding as I am also a newbie to fishing so this was the perfect challenge for me as it will allow me to try many different ways of fishing.  That was my first pike ever yesterday, and yes I nearly did poop myself haha.. I thought an additional point for eel, grass carp and zander as they're quite rare to catch..

1614502437413_Capture.PNG

if you are counting all variants of carp add, wild, koi, ghost, F1 and goldfish. Also Bullhead/millers thumb, 3 spined stickleback, ten spined stickleback, stone loach, spined loach, shad, powan, sturgeon, ide, golden tench, golden rudd, blue orfe as well as golden. Some more tricky ones might be lamprey and, burbot. Or exotics like sun bleak, pumpkin seed and cichlids. . . . . I did once catch a near 2lb tiger oscar in a match on the river Soar several years back. With that and 7 gudgeon i came 2nd (beaten by a single bream) on a very hard day. I also won the super pool and went home with over £250.00, i was only guesting for a local pub team with borrowed gear. Happy days! We reckoned the oscar had been recently dumped to be that size, as they are known to out grow tanks. . . . .It's illegal now to intentionally fish for some of the rare species mentioned. So check before hand.    NB

On 01/03/2021 at 00:28, NatureBoy said:

if you are counting all variants of carp add, wild, koi, ghost, F1 and goldfish. Also Bullhead/millers thumb, 3 spined stickleback, ten spined stickleback, stone loach, spined loach, shad, powan, sturgeon, ide, golden tench, golden rudd, blue orfe as well as golden. Some more tricky ones might be lamprey and, burbot. Or exotics like sun bleak, pumpkin seed and cichlids. . . . . I did once catch a near 2lb tiger oscar in a match on the river Soar several years back. With that and 7 gudgeon i came 2nd (beaten by a single bream) on a very hard day. I also won the super pool and went home with over £250.00, i was only guesting for a local pub team with borrowed gear. Happy days! We reckoned the oscar had been recently dumped to be that size, as they are known to out grow tanks. . . . .It's illegal now to intentionally fish for some of the rare species mentioned. So check before hand.    NB

Burbot? you're avin' a giraffe, surely? Present only in myth and rumour I reckons. There have been attempts to reintroduce, but thus far nothing's been permitted.

Have you seen Matt Hayes and Mick Brown's Great Rod Race? Done in early 2000's and they go for 35ish species in 30 days. You could do worse than follow that list. Oh and it doesn't have burbot or lamprey on it, so that might help ;)

On 02/03/2021 at 16:36, chrisjpainter said:

Burbot? you're avin' a giraffe, surely? Present only in myth and rumour I reckons. There have been attempts to reintroduce, but thus far nothing's been permitted.

Have you seen Matt Hayes and Mick Brown's Great Rod Race? Done in early 2000's and they go for 35ish species in 30 days. You could do worse than follow that list. Oh and it doesn't have burbot or lamprey on it, so that might help ;)

Ever the optimist Chris.😉 100k reward if you catch one probably says it all though hey. Talk of illegal intros. I saw a poor pic of what was said to be one a while back with river ID feature in background and couldn't think what else it could be. Think some of the big barbel boi's on the Ouse knew more than they were letting on as it was specimen/record barbel at all cost then. Think they go unreported, as after last claims EA jumped in netted the rivers and ******** them up. Otters cleared the big barbel out in the end. Shows how devastating they can be on many fisheries. Aint the not knowing and unknown the reason many fish.      NB

On 02/03/2021 at 20:11, gmm243 said:

I once caught a brown trout during the mayfly that had a lamprey stuck to its side.I will try and route out the photos and post one.The fisheries staff were very interested in it at the time.

Here is a video of a Ferox i caught that had a lamprey attached under its jaw, it dropped off during the fight, i did'nt know anything about it until i reviewed the video.