UK fish species challenge

roadkill

What rich freshwater fish diversity In the UK. One area where it beats NZ hands down. All we have is big eels, small indigenous fish, trout/salmon and a smattering carp, rudd, tench and perch. Carp are public enemy #1 and it is against the law to release them after capture. The other coarse fish have a higher legal status, but most would be killed on sight.

9 hours ago, Houseplant said:

What rich freshwater fish diversity In the UK. One area where it beats NZ hands down. All we have is big eels, small indigenous fish, trout/salmon and a smattering carp, rudd, tench and perch. Carp are public enemy #1 and it is against the law to release them after capture. The other coarse fish have a higher legal status, but most would be killed on sight.

Its my understanding that Carp are highly sort after by the Chinese in both NZ & Australia. Apparently they eat them at Christmas like we have Turkey. 

3 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Its my understanding that Carp are highly sort after by the Chinese in both NZ & Australia. Apparently they eat them at Christmas like we have Turkey. 

I wouldn't be surprised. Auckland is basically an Asian city now, so dangerous place to be a carp!

On 09/03/2021 at 15:53, Centrepin said:

Same in Europe, carp was a staple in the middle ages and certainly in Hungary its the traditional Christmas dish

21 hours ago, Houseplant said:

I've eaten carp, tastes like s****! I believe our eastern European friends keep them alive in the bath for a week to "purge" themselves prior to slaughter. 

Yeah. The trouble is the water they're in. Know ye of the chef hugh fearnley-whittingstall, of River Cottage fame? He once cooked grass carp for some estate or other. The deal was that if he could make it palatable for an evening soiree, he could have fishing rights to said estate's lake. He caught the fish two weeks before, then diverted part of the water from the chalk stream by his cottage and kept the fish alive in that to cleanse it. It seemed to work, because the guests were all very impressed. seems a bit of a faff for a regular meal though!

23 hours ago, JDog said:

I've never seen one in the flesh but I watched a chap on YouTube catching them on the river Hull. He caught one over 8lbs.

We stock them in my club lake, as they feed in the cold weather. Biggest i've seen out was about 4lb, would be nice if they reached 6lb let alone 8.

On 19/03/2021 at 13:38, JDog said:

What a great vid! That's a new British record (curranty 8lb 5oz for a Stillwater variant) for a natural Ide right there if submitted and accepted and his scales accurate. An unusual record to hold at that. What a cracking fish and session. Others were quality fish to. Never caught a river Ide. Had them to 4lb from still water. Interesting fishing on just a roaming lobworm in a river that size. Also his comments on predation and otters killing his sport. Well done that man! Must be well chuffed to get a lifetime PB/record fish on film.  Thanks for posting JDog.     NB

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/03/2021 at 00:45, Houseplant said:

I've eaten carp, tastes like s****! I believe our eastern European friends keep them alive in the bath for a week to "purge" themselves prior to slaughter. 

Hello, so have I out in Thailand, mine was barbecued and very tasty, there a few types of carp ?? 

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, so have I out in Thailand, mine was barbecued and very tasty, there a few types of carp ?? 

How many off the list now RK ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

35 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

There are and some of the fish commonly called carp aren't even in the carp family, so the waters are muddy! Asian cooking techniques are very good at turning the inedible in to something delicious, so I'm not surprised you had a good experience.