Jump to content

UK fish species challenge


Recommended Posts

What rich freshwater fish diversity In the UK. One area where it beats NZ hands down. All we have is big eels, small indigenous fish, trout/salmon and a smattering carp, rudd, tench and perch. Carp are public enemy #1 and it is against the law to release them after capture. The other coarse fish have a higher legal status, but most would be killed on sight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Houseplant said:

What rich freshwater fish diversity In the UK. One area where it beats NZ hands down. All we have is big eels, small indigenous fish, trout/salmon and a smattering carp, rudd, tench and perch. Carp are public enemy #1 and it is against the law to release them after capture. The other coarse fish have a higher legal status, but most would be killed on sight.

Its my understanding that Carp are highly sort after by the Chinese in both NZ & Australia. Apparently they eat them at Christmas like we have Turkey. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Its my understanding that Carp are highly sort after by the Chinese in both NZ & Australia. Apparently they eat them at Christmas like we have Turkey. 

I wouldn't be surprised. Auckland is basically an Asian city now, so dangerous place to be a carp!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got out for an hour today looking for a perch. The river never offered one up, but i made do for this small gudgeon.  Another ticked off the list, not sure of the weight but it was about 8cm long

IMG-20210313-WA0012.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah good score. you didn't think of using the gudgeon as a livebait? they're about as good as it gets for a perch bait! I'm not a livebait fan myself, but word on the street is that if you want a decent perch, catch yourself a gudgeon

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/03/2021 at 15:53, Centrepin said:

Its my understanding that Carp are highly sort after by the Chinese in both NZ & Australia. Apparently they eat them at Christmas like we have Turkey. 

Same in Europe, carp was a staple in the middle ages and certainly in Hungary its the traditional Christmas dish

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Same in Europe, carp was a staple in the middle ages and certainly in Hungary its the traditional Christmas dish

That maybe why the Monks introduced Carp into UK waters in the middle ages then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Houseplant said:

I've eaten carp, tastes like s****! I believe our eastern European friends keep them alive in the bath for a week to "purge" themselves prior to slaughter. 

Yeah. The trouble is the water they're in. Know ye of the chef hugh fearnley-whittingstall, of River Cottage fame? He once cooked grass carp for some estate or other. The deal was that if he could make it palatable for an evening soiree, he could have fishing rights to said estate's lake. He caught the fish two weeks before, then diverted part of the water from the chalk stream by his cottage and kept the fish alive in that to cleanse it. It seemed to work, because the guests were all very impressed. seems a bit of a faff for a regular meal though!

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, fse10 said:

Another one for you , ide.

I've never seen one in the flesh but I watched a chap on YouTube catching them on the river Hull. He caught one over 8lbs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JDog said:

I've never seen one in the flesh but I watched a chap on YouTube catching them on the river Hull. He caught one over 8lbs.

We stock them in my club lake, as they feed in the cold weather. Biggest i've seen out was about 4lb, would be nice if they reached 6lb let alone 8.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, fse10 said:

We stock them in my club lake, as they feed in the cold weather. Biggest i've seen out was about 4lb, would be nice if they reached 6lb let alone 8.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My local pond has Ide, I reckon they go 12oz to 1lb, maybe 1 1/2lb at a push. Easy to catch on maggots. Regular anglers there tell me they're about 2 to 4lb but they're the ones that always catch 30lb+ carp on every other cast.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/03/2021 at 13:38, JDog said:

 

What a great vid! That's a new British record (curranty 8lb 5oz for a Stillwater variant) for a natural Ide right there if submitted and accepted and his scales accurate. An unusual record to hold at that. What a cracking fish and session. Others were quality fish to. Never caught a river Ide. Had them to 4lb from still water. Interesting fishing on just a roaming lobworm in a river that size. Also his comments on predation and otters killing his sport. Well done that man! Must be well chuffed to get a lifetime PB/record fish on film.  Thanks for posting JDog.     NB

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/03/2021 at 00:45, Houseplant said:

I've eaten carp, tastes like s****! I believe our eastern European friends keep them alive in the bath for a week to "purge" themselves prior to slaughter. 

Hello, so have I out in Thailand, mine was barbecued and very tasty, there a few types of carp ?? 

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, so have I out in Thailand, mine was barbecued and very tasty, there a few types of carp ?? 

How many off the list now RK ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, so have I out in Thailand, mine was barbecued and very tasty, there a few types of carp ?? 


There are and some of the fish commonly called carp aren't even in the carp family, so the waters are muddy! Asian cooking techniques are very good at turning the inedible in to something delicious, so I'm not surprised you had a good experience. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...