Mitsubishi L200

Lucasnorth

Hi chaps. I’m thinking of getting a Mitsubishi L200 and wondered what people thought of them and what there like. 
not sure what the difference is between the models, warrior. Barbarian needs animal. Is will be my daily drive and shooting truck. Not that I do my miles a week as I go to work in my van. Looking at a 57- 10 plate. Looking to spend about £8,000 

thanks.

lucas.  

1 hour ago, Lucasnorth said:

Hi chaps. I’m thinking of getting a Mitsubishi L200 and wondered what people thought of them and what there like. 
not sure what the difference is between the models, warrior. Barbarian needs animal. Is will be my daily drive and shooting truck. Not that I do my miles a week as I go to work in my van. Looking at a 57- 10 plate. Looking to spend about £8,000 

thanks.

lucas.  

On my second Warrior as a shooting truck. Current automatic 130k but had new engine at 106k. I like them and does everything in comfort. The estate I pick up on uses them off road in serious hill country and they take a real battering but generally reliable. Having said that I have an issue with mine tonight won’t engage drive. Other that that only fault was the ECG valve.

my previous was a 53 plate manual that I still see on the road from time to time. That had done 130 k when I moved it on. I had renewed the fuel tank and done a bit of welding but again very reliable.

6 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

On my second Warrior as a shooting truck. Current automatic 130k but had new engine at 106k. I like them and does everything in comfort. The estate I pick up on uses them off road in serious hill country and they take a real battering but generally reliable. Having said that I have an issue with mine tonight won’t engage drive. Other that that only fault was the ECG valve.

my previous was a 53 plate manual that I still see on the road from time to time. That had done 130 k when I moved it on. I had renewed the fuel tank and done a bit of welding but again very reliable.

Thanks. What happened to the engine? And I was also wondering about manual or auto. I’m quite used to the auto box as my last couple of vehicles have been auto. And am I right in thinking they do a swb and a lwb. 
thanks. 
lucas

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

All down to what it has done prior to you buying it.   Basically a solid pick up but with all modern vehicles you might come acros electrical/computer problems occasionally.

I will be making sure I buy one that’s been used as a car. Or lightly used😄

11 hours ago, Walker570 said:

All down to what it has done prior to you buying it.   Basically a solid pick up but with all modern vehicles you might come acros electrical/computer problems occasionally.

Actually being on my 5th l200 I can say electrics don’t seem to be a problem at all on them.

At that age do buy on condition and history, loads have been used as cars. The things to watch are generally head gasket and the usual suspension and springs.  The latter are easy and cheap enough if you are half handy with a spanner.  

6 hours ago, Lucasnorth said:

Thanks. What happened to the engine? And I was also wondering about manual or auto. I’m quite used to the auto box as my last couple of vehicles have been auto. And am I right in thinking they do a swb and a lwb. 
thanks. 
lucas

I will be making sure I buy one that’s been used as a car. Or lightly used😄

The engine was changed by the last owner. That model and year had an issue with over heating apparently. One of the reasons I bought high mileage as it had a new engine. And yes it had been used as a car up and down the motorway so in very good condition overall.....and no VAT. Supplied and serviced by the dealer from new.

Had three of them. Fairly good on body rot chassis transmission , but the weak point on these trucks is the front pulley area of the engine. Key way can wear. and the front pulley can fail throwing belts and doing damage. About 25MPG not a lot more a typical Japanese pick up truck. they are a little agricultural to drive in my opinion.

46 minutes ago, MARSH GUN said:

Had three of them. Fairly good on body rot chassis transmission , but the weak point on these trucks is the front pulley area of the engine. Key way can wear. and the front pulley can fail throwing belts and doing damage. About 25MPG not a lot more a typical Japanese pick up truck. they are a little agricultural to drive in my opinion.

You need to try a new one the series 5 is not that agricultural and the mpg is mid 30’s 

Another option is the fiat fullback! L200 with a Fiat badge, barbarian spec as well! Only problem is they have only been around for a few years so might be a bit more money!! I bought a 3 year old one for £11.5k with only 42k on the clock. Well pleased, nice to drive and mid to high 30mpg.