Finally got to go at the pigeons

Newkid

Some good shooting there and some very obliging pigeons, they certainly liked your setup.
Nice clear pics, thanks for posting.

Shotkams do seem to magnify backgrounds and make judging range almost impossible and I can understand the comments about the road distance.
There is also the slow motion aspect, which makes the viewer often wonder "how did he miss that ?",  some real time footage would easily illustrate the speed of the birds and the reaction time.
Most of us have shot enough to understand the reality of a day in the hide.🙂

3 hours ago, Cranfield said:

Some good shooting there and some very obliging pigeons, they certainly liked your setup.
Nice clear pics, thanks for posting.

Shotkams do seem to magnify backgrounds and make judging range almost impossible and I can understand the comments about the road distance.
There is also the slow motion aspect, which makes the viewer often wonder "how did he miss that ?",  some real time footage would easily illustrate the speed of the birds and the reaction time.
Most of us have shot enough to understand the reality of a day in the hide.🙂

If you want to view the video at near real time left click the cog in the lower right hand and set video speed to 2.

29 minutes ago, kenholland said:

they decoyed a treat , just your shooting needs inproving a bit , a bit more choke maybe , does the gun fit you ok, with a dog i bet you would pick a few along the hedges , with the amount you pricked , well iv'e had my moan well done anyway , good vid.

if his decoys were 20-25 or even 30 yards out then most of those birds were well in range, it may have been the case that more open chokes would have been better.

On 01/03/2021 at 21:50, Jim Neal said:

I'll take your word for it that the road is out of range, but in some cases it does look like you're trying to shoot out the windscreens of passing vehicles!  Very strange zoom effect, I can't watch it without feeling a bit funny 😕

No vehicles were harmed in the making of this video 😂

On 02/03/2021 at 15:42, kenholland said:

they decoyed a treat , just your shooting needs inproving a bit , a bit more choke maybe , does the gun fit you ok, with a dog i bet you would pick a few along the hedges , with the amount you pricked , well iv'e had my moan well done anyway , good vid.

I was using 1/4 and 1/2 what would you recommend ? they were falling around 40yds away and yes there was a few that were pricked I was using clear pigeons 32 6s and I sent my mate to walk the tree lines after and he came back with a couple atb Dean 

6 minutes ago, Newkid said:

I was using 1/4 and 1/2 what would you recommend ? they were falling around 40yds away and yes there was a few that were pricked I was using clear pigeons 32 6s and I sent my mate to walk the tree lines after and he came back with a couple atb Dean 

There is no need to defend your actions.

Too many on this forum rush to judgement when videos are posted. Those people never miss or wound a bird of course.

Hello we can all say what you should have done but I think you done well especially decoying pigeon in like that alot of people can't get them in that close . The only thing I have found you said about 32g cartridges are better at longer distances ?,well done mate and look forward to seeing next shot cam action.  All the best.

15 hours ago, Newkid said:

don't know how far out you had your decoys set but most of those birds were over your decoy pattern and looked well in range, the chokes you were using were perfect for decoyed pigeons, If I can make a suggestion, try a couple of boxes of 28g 7/7.5 you will be surprised at how well they kill at 30-40 yards.

9 hours ago, Morkin said:

Hello we can all say what you should have done but I think you done well especially decoying pigeon in like that alot of people can't get them in that close . The only thing I have found you said about 32g cartridges are better at longer distances ?,well done mate and look forward to seeing next shot cam action.  All the best.

I think the reason they were decoying in so well is because they’ve been feeding on there for weeks and got to comfortable plus we was set up in between two fields with just a farmers track to set the hide up on so was out in the open which didn’t seem to put them of were back over there tomorrow so hopefully they keep coming in like they  have been and get some more footage to post atb Dean 

Edited by Newkid

A very honest video which has helped pass the time on a night shift, I look forward to seeing the results of your next outing.

We all miss and the more you get out there the more you'll learn, I don't get to hung up over choke personally and wouldn't fault your choice.

Without doubt there were a few nice shots there.

The main fault with your shooting style is that you regularly stop your swing, I can see this is the case as the lead diminishes just before the shot is taken. Possibly because you subconsciously look at the gun to check lead before taking the shot.  

Some good shots were taken using swing through (ST).

I see you favour maintained lead (ML)and this proved effective on several closer birds, however often due to the ML method you did not learn the line of the bird and missed off line.

I shoot a lot with maintained lead, but it takes a lot of practice to follow the line. Nothing wrong with a hybrid between 2 methods - pull away (PA) ( you

learn speed and line) into ML, as it is clear you favour that method.

I would try out on some clays.

Remember ML can require double the lead of PA or ST depending on gun speed.

I enjoyed seeing some shooting and you did a good job protecting the crop.😀

Edited by Shotkam