Beef shin ragu

Pangolin

I cooked ox cheeks in fennel, star anise & sherry on Sunday. Excellent recipe. 

Four ox cheeks cost £21 from the butchers. I’d say that was enough for eight people. A rolled rib of beef that was big enough for three cost the same from the same butcher, so the cheaper cuts are still cost effective. 

Mind you, the beef was cooked in 30 minutes, but the cheeks took four hours, so the cheaper cuts do need more time to break down. 

I was brought up on the cheapest cuts of beef, I think I was about 16 or 17yrs old before I had tried so much as a sirloin steak.

The cheap cuts have become fashionable now because celebrity chefs started using them. Even some restaurants I would go to would charge more for rib eye than the usually prized fillet steak

Took myself back in time a few weeks ago and cooked up a cheap rolled pot roast of Dexter beef from a local farm shop, haven't tasted a Sunday roast like it in a long time.

6 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

I was brought up on the cheapest cuts of beef, I think I was about 16 or 17yrs old before I had tried so much as a sirloin steak.

The cheap cuts have become fashionable now because celebrity chefs started using them. Even some restaurants I would go to would charge more for rib eye than the usually prized fillet steak

Took myself back in time a few weeks ago and cooked up a cheap rolled pot roast of Dexter beef from a local farm shop, haven't tasted a Sunday roast like it in a long time.

Im in my 30s but my nan was very poor when she was young, she used to make me all sorts of cheap cut dishes. Suet puddings were a favourite.

1 minute ago, Pangolin said:

Im in my 30s but my nan was very poor when she was young, she used to make me all sorts of cheap cut dishes. Suet puddings were a favourite.

If it wasn't for mince,carrots and onions and spuds i think I would have starved to death as a child. When I started using the new farm shop close to me I was shocked at how good their mince was, unlike supermarket stuff, when it was being fried it didn't have that brown/white watery gack that floated up to the surface. 

I've noticed near me...probably As a side affect of covid, more people are going to the butcher's and farm shops for meat and veg. I hope it stays that way, to me there's no worse torture than shopping in any of the big supermarkets

14 hours ago, Ian willetts said:

That will stick to your ribs very good grub along with brisket my local butchers favourite cut slow cooked onion gravy with all the trimmings he says the best Sunday dinner you can get 

About 2 years ago I smoked a 6kg brisket and a 5kg pork shoulder for 18hrs in my offset smoker.

Also made a cured leg.

FB_IMG_1512928896111.jpg

IMAG1190.jpg

Edited by Pangolin