Chesapeake bay retriever

Manish

Hello fellow shooters!!

Has anybody ever had or still have a Chessie?? I hear all sorts about them but I think they are just a misunderstood dog and the myths are just that. Im sure you get the odd crazy Lab too. There is a lady with some horses up the road from me that had a very aggressive lab. 

Anyway back to the subject. I will primarily be using the dog for fowling and some pigeon shooting. As for training I intend on taking the pup to gundog classes then following up what we have done at puppy school.

Any help would be smashing

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What have you had before? 

Ive been out with one in the fowling club. Bloke who owns it is very experienced dog trainer and shooter. 

He said it’s been very slow to mature and bring on, significantly behind a lab in progress to age. 

Doing things at 12 months you’d do with a lab at a much younger age. 

He’s not had any issues with dog aggression but have heard they can be a bit fiesty. 

Should make great fowling dogs but so do a lot of other retriever breeds. 
More of a dog for an experienced handler I’d think. 

Couple that with the fact they’re a lot harder to get a hold of. 

so far I have only had Jack Russells and both of them have been rescues. Still have one. Shes a cheeky little thing.

I get what you mean about the experience as this will be my first dog from pup and my first gundog.  With reference to getting one I seem to have more luck with finding a cooperative breeder for chessies then a lab. The lab breeders I have found were more interested in putting obstacles in the way. I mean who the futuck asks for scanned copies of proof of address?? All seemed a bit odd to me. The Chessie breeder is a fowler too so knows what im looking for and has thus far been helpful

Edited by Manish

I think they probaby want scanned copy of proof of your address due to all the thefts going on at the moment with whole litters being stolen.

A few lads I know with litters on the ground haven't really advertised much and those that have won't give out their location or address. 

Pups will be going at the 11th hour. 

Personally if it's going to be your first gundog I would try and get a Lab, but if not and you get a Chessie there's no reason you can't make a good dog out of it :) I just think a lab would make things a bit easier for you. 

If your going use it fowling as long as it will retrieve and sit still you don't need an all singing all dancing trial trained dog. 

Personally I’m with Lloyd on this 

there not a first dog 

client has a few of them and some very good ones trained to a very high level they are a strong powerful dog 

she also has had some that were a nightmare 

please think long and hard about having one as a first gun dog 

do you have a large amount of space (garden) 

has anyone mentioned the incredibly oily coat that’s a down side especially if you want it inside 

They can be a very protective breed 

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What have you had before? 

Ive been out with one in the fowling club. Bloke who owns it is very experienced dog trainer and shooter. 

He said it’s been very slow to mature and bring on, significantly behind a lab in progress to age. 

Doing things at 12 months you’d do with a lab at a much younger age. 

He’s not had any issues with dog aggression but have heard they can be a bit fiesty. 

Should make great fowling dogs but so do a lot of other retriever breeds. 
More of a dog for an experienced handler I’d think. 

Couple that with the fact they’re a lot harder to get a hold of. 

As Lloyd said shot with a mate who has one he’s a big strong male dog an absolute tank , but a lovely dog , gun dog training classes are a must , if you can get on any with this COVID stuff going on ,I’ve had to training my lab pretty much myself with a little help because of it and I know if had the corses been open he’d be a lot better than he is , but my mates Chessie shows what an be done with them not only does he take it fowling but stalking also 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Personally I’m with Lloyd on this 

there not a first dog 

client has a few of them and some very good ones trained to a very high level they are a strong powerful dog 

she also has had some that were a nightmare 

please think long and hard about having one as a first gun dog 

do you have a large amount of space (garden) 

has anyone mentioned the incredibly oily coat that’s a down side especially if you want it inside 

They can be a very protective breed 

My mates was a first dog ,but with a lot of things in life he may have just been lucky 

When my German friends came to the UK they were very nervous of my Weimeraners as in shooting circles over there apparently the breed has a reputation as aggressive and unruly. They were so shocked to find the opposite in my docile, biddable dogs. My dogs was kennelled with their Labs, Bavarian Mountain Hound and miniature Dachshund.

The reason I mention this is most breeds are capable of being trained to be suitable to your needs. That said however Labradors are born half trained, successive generations of selective breeding has created lines that are much easier to get right. You will still find badly trained Labradors. You may find a biddable Beagle. But the selection of a breed, then a line is the biggest opportunity you have to shortcut long hard hours of training. A bad CBR will stand out like a sore thumb and be noticed. Same as my grey dogs would not get a second chance, they can’t afford to make mistakes. 

I agree with Lloyd. I wildfowl and pickup and it’s all about labs. Especially if it’s your first gun it a steep learning curve so why make it steeper by starting with a minor breed that adds to the difficulty. I have never trained a chessy but have a number of pals that have them. They do have training issues and can be aggressive. Just because you only go wildfowling and pigeon shooting doesn’t reduce the potential problems.

I would think about it again when you have a lab or two under your belt.

Good luck

Most people who gets a dog / gundog get it as a family member, working pet which spends 90% of it's time as a family dog and maybe 10% of it's time working.

Most people are not wanting to move a dog on if it's not up to scratch or has what others consider to be faults. 

Due to this, I think it's very important to pick the right dog for the job and give yourself as much chance of success as pissible. The lads who are a bit more ruthless and will get rid of a dog because of some small trait are able to take a chance on different breeds and types and lines because if the dogs a problem it doesn't matter, it's gone. 

Most people's Mrs and Kids don't want to get rid of their beloved best friends once he's been in your house for a few days! 

We often see people going against the grain in gundogs, but why try to fit a square peg through a round hole? 

I once heard it said about Falconry that a Harris Hawk is almost too forgiving, to the point that the owner doesn't learn enough because it's too easy :lol: 

I would say the Labrados is along these lines, but not only that, when you make mistakes (which we all do as we learn) a labrador will be far more forgiving in your ability to correct and fix those mistakes if you work at them. 

Best of luck in whatever you do get :), I do appreciate with the current situation and prices it is tempting to get something that is available to you that isn't silly money, it won't matter either way unless you put the work in and get it trained.

Let us know how you get on. 

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I think they probaby want scanned copy of proof of your address due to all the thefts going on at the moment with whole litters being stolen.

A few lads I know with litters on the ground haven't really advertised much and those that have won't give out their location or address. 

Pups will be going at the 11th hour. 

Personally if it's going to be your first gundog I would try and get a Lab, but if not and you get a Chessie there's no reason you can't make a good dog out of it :) I just think a lab would make things a bit easier for you. 

If your going use it fowling as long as it will retrieve and sit still you don't need an all singing all dancing trial trained dog. 

I wouldve happily taken some form of ID when going to pick a pup but to send them copies not ever

Ok the general feeling im getting is to go for a Lab. Now to locate one at a realistic price that has some working blood that isnt a mong! If anybody knows of any litters pls contact me. I have tried through places like champdogs and have just been beating my head against a wall

40 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Most people who gets a dog / gundog get it as a family member, working pet which spends 90% of it's time as a family dog and maybe 10% of it's time working.

Most people are not wanting to move a dog on if it's not up to scratch or has what others consider to be faults. 

Due to this, I think it's very important to pick the right dog for the job and give yourself as much chance of success as pissible. The lads who are a bit more ruthless and will get rid of a dog because of some small trait are able to take a chance on different breeds and types and lines because if the dogs a problem it doesn't matter, it's gone. 

Most people's Mrs and Kids don't want to get rid of their beloved best friends once he's been in your house for a few days! 

We often see people going against the grain in gundogs, but why try to fit a square peg through a round hole? 

I once heard it said about Falconry that a Harris Hawk is almost too forgiving, to the point that the owner doesn't learn enough because it's too easy :lol: 

I would say the Labrados is along these lines, but not only that, when you make mistakes (which we all do as we learn) a labrador will be far more forgiving in your ability to correct and fix those mistakes if you work at them. 

Best of luck in whatever you do get :), I do appreciate with the current situation and prices it is tempting to get something that is available to you that isn't silly money, it won't matter either way unless you put the work in and get it trained.

Let us know how you get on. 

My Mrs has been funny about me getting a gundog from the start. She seems to think I can train a terrier to do the work of a retriever!! Your right in that most gundogs are also the family pet and mine wont be an exception. 

Interesting what you say about Hawkers not learning much from the Harris. I suppose a lab is very similar. Maybe waiting another year might have to be done for the market to stabilise a little and for people to see some sense 

5 hours ago, Manish said:

I wouldve happily taken some form of ID when going to pick a pup but to send them copies not ever

Ok the general feeling im getting is to go for a Lab. Now to locate one at a realistic price that has some working blood that isnt a mong! If anybody knows of any litters pls contact me. I have tried through places like champdogs and have just been beating my head against a wall

There’s pups up here in Scotland but you aren’t likely to be allowed over the border before end of April

47 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

Are you on facebook Mani? There is a chessie page which is worth a look at.

Might be some litters of fowling labs in the club, I'll ask around.

No Mat im not on Face**** I hate the thing. If there are any litter in the Club that would be perfect mate. How you keeping anyway??

14 minutes ago, Manish said:

No Mat im not on Face**** I hate the thing. If there are any litter in the Club that would be perfect mate. How you keeping anyway??

Keeping well, how are you doing? Might be worth asking in Bearts, they often have dogs advertised on their notice board.

Any you after dog or bitch? colour important?

Edited by Big Mat

3 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

Keeping well, how are you doing? Might be worth asking in Bearts, they often have dogs advertised on their notice board.

Any you after dog or bitch? colour important?

I'll PM you mate

13 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I had a friend who ran Chessies and they where excellent alround dogs. They did not suffer other idiot dogs however and would stand their ground.  Your first dog, I would say maybe not but having said that I have seen some labs totally useless because they had useless owners.

I did in a former profession train young soldiers and officers too. Would training a dog be much harder? Both are done with patience and reward 

40 minutes ago, Manish said:

I did in a former profession train young soldiers and officers too. Would training a dog be much harder? Both are done with patience and reward 

About the same I would think.  Certainly firm but fair with a Chessie from what I have seen, very similar to a viszla in temprement. Dogs can be far more inteligent than humans in many ways.