Jump to content

Chesapeake bay retriever


Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Dogs can be far more inteligent than humans in many ways.

A walk around some places shows us that🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i actually have a 6yr old 50kg male wildfowling chessie 

contrary to popular belief

he hasn't eaten the grand children who regularly play with him 

he doesn't attack other dogs 

he lives in the house 

excellent fowling dog 

its not a lab    which is the main reason i got one 

do not mistake a different learning curve to a lab to lack of intelligence  these are very clever dogs who respond to honey not vinegar

guarding of quarry  yes

guarding the house yes 

A 1st dog     no 

my last chessie    no

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 12/03/2021 at 18:46, iamspuddy said:

i actually have a 6yr old 50kg male wildfowling chessie 

contrary to popular belief

he hasn't eaten the grand children who regularly play with him 

he doesn't attack other dogs 

he lives in the house 

excellent fowling dog 

its not a lab    which is the main reason i got one 

do not mistake a different learning curve to a lab to lack of intelligence  these are very clever dogs who respond to honey not vinegar

guarding of quarry  yes

guarding the house yes 

A 1st dog     no 

my last chessie    no

 

 

 

By the sounds of it I just have to approach them in a different way. I suppose they get bored easy so keep training short say 10mins and frequent 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have only ever seen one Chesapeake working on a inland lough I used to shoot A big male who was probably the best fowling dog I’ve ever seen retrieving ducks and geese The guy who owns it was a very good dog trainer Speaking to him at the end of flights many mornings he told me that the Chesapeake was a bit harder to train than labradors And he’s did not take well to working with other dogs I myself thought about buying one many moons ago but decided to stick with my fox red labs A lot more forgiving good luck if you decide to buy a Chessie I’m sure if you put the time in you’ll get a fantastic fowling partner 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

 

The Long Retrieve featuring Echo a chesapeake owned by Mark Greenhough from BASC. 

Seen that before.Amazing retrieve that is

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/03/2021 at 19:13, Manish said:

 

By the sounds of it I just have to approach them in a different way. I suppose they get bored easy so keep training short say 10mins and frequent 

Isn't 10 mins the norm? It is for me anyway short and sweet and keep it interesting for the pup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, m greeny said:

Isn't 10 mins the norm? It is for me anyway short and sweet and keep it interesting for the pup

I dont know I have never trained a pup. Always had rescue dogs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Chesapeake is 12 now so she only does a bit now and then.  She is a great dog who could have been a lot more of a gun dog if I'd had more skill as a trainer, but as it worked out she became a wonderful and much loved companion for the family.

Very headstrong at first and needed close supervision (wanting to take off on drives when beating being her favourite quirk) but all in all I wouldnt change a thing about her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No experience of chesapeakes but I'm very interested in getting one as my next dog. I think all dogs have their special behaviours, I've had 3 labs, all totally different characters. 1st was very dog aggressive as he got older, 2nd was a bitch and a bit of a c@nt on the quiet, 3rd is a bitch and she's more or less perfect. So I'm sure Chessies will have thier own little quirks. I'm pretty much made up on the idea of getting 1 in 2-3 yrs time. My comments aren't helpful I know 🙂. Sorry 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 20/03/2021 at 21:25, Manish said:

I dont know I have never trained a pup. Always had rescue dogs


Have you got sorted for a dog yet mate? What did you go for in the end? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:


Have you got sorted for a dog yet mate? What did you go for in the end? 

I went and saw a chat about a chessie. Unfortunately the mateing didn't take but I'm going to wait untill next year now. IMO they are the perfect tool for the job. Mother has a very nice temperament and the Mrs liked them (that alone is worth the wait) she has never been a fan labs 🤷🏽‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/05/2021 at 20:01, harkom said:

just be aware that if the CBR is to live indoors - there tends to be a bit of an odour - they have greasy coats.

I'm guessing you have one or know of somebody with one? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve got a client with a few of them she’s planning a litter of pups in the autumn as she wants another for her self 

she has a wait list 

ive been tempted a few times with one over the years but resisted as there too much dog for me 

best of luck with whatever you decide 😊👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/05/2021 at 08:04, Old farrier said:

I’ve got a client with a few of them she’s planning a litter of pups in the autumn as she wants another for her self 

she has a wait list 

ive been tempted a few times with one over the years but resisted as there too much dog for me 

best of luck with whatever you decide 😊👍

Im guessing your a farrier? The came can be said about about a horse that a horse is too much animal. I was in the Blues and Royals and due to my lack of height I would get put on the big horses for trooping etc. The same horsemanship was needed to control them as the smaller ones. I think you should go for them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Manish said:

Im guessing your a farrier? The came can be said about about a horse that a horse is too much animal. I was in the Blues and Royals and due to my lack of height I would get put on the big horses for trooping etc. The same horsemanship was needed to control them as the smaller ones. I think you should go for them. 

I think you miss interpreted what I mean it’s too much dog for the shooting I do 

you don’t need a thoroughbred race horse if you only need to ride to the shop 

mum familiar with the blues and royals also their training and the amount they reject to get the ones most suitable for the job 👍👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I think you miss interpreted what I mean it’s too much dog for the shooting I do 

you don’t need a thoroughbred race horse if you only need to ride to the shop 

mum familiar with the blues and royals also their training and the amount they reject to get the ones most suitable for the job 👍👍

Got ya. Like those people living in London with jacked up land rovers 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, archi said:

Has that got some Holway blood in it?

love to see a true golden golden 

No holway in this one that I’m aware of 

the clue is in the name 

there golden and they retrieve stuff 

usually through the muddiest route 😂😊swamp collies 

here’s one of both his grandparents on both side’s 

 

 

9487E6FD-7176-4013-BD56-06FDEED9E509.jpeg

Edited by Old farrier
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/05/2021 at 11:16, Old farrier said:

 

...familiar with the blues and royals also their training and the amount they reject to get the ones most suitable for the job 👍👍


Same as any big trainer who’s in a position to move on a dog that isn’t up to scratch or is hard work ... 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...