english springer spaniel stud dog

gustaff

looking for some one in north yorkshire area with a well coloured liver and white bitch. not white and liver.  to put one of our well coloured liver and white dogs to in return for a pup from litter both of our dogs full pedigree with papers one from wales the other from scotland both working and picking up on estate shoots

Good luck, I think you may find it difficult. 

At the moment you can get a FTCH stud dog for a few hundred pounds, and the stud market is hugely over filled with everyone wanting to put their dog out to stud, whether it’s got faults or not, with varying work and ability testing each dog.

Pups are selling for around the £2,000 mark on average. 

The days of having a pup back for a stud fee appear to be long gone. 
I’m not sure they’ll ever come back tbh. 

Might be worth asking someone on your shoot who’s seen your dogs work. 

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

The owner of the stud dog my cocker went to wants a pup instead of a stud fee 🤷‍♀️ So it is doable I guess! 

The owner of the stud dog, as in you took your bitch there? 

Did you agree to give him a pup in return for the stud covering? 

Fair play, I think the stud owner should get a pup back in return. 

Just what I’m seeing, with the price of pups around £2,000 and currently not coming down, most people are paying £300-400 stud fee and then there’s an extra £1600 in their pockets from selling the pups. 

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

The owner of the stud dog, as in you took your bitch there? 

Did you agree to give him a pup in return for the stud covering? 

Fair play, I think the stud owner should get a pup back in return. 

Just what I’m seeing, with the price of pups around £2,000 and currently not coming down, most people are paying £300-400 stud fee and then there’s an extra £1600 in their pockets from selling the pups. 

Yeah - well, a mate took her for me. It was stud fee as far as we knew but then he got her out for a play and then we got a phone call saying he’d like a pup 😂 Not mentioning any names but it’s a huge compliment from this particular chap!

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Yeah - well, a mate took her for me. It was stud fee as far as we knew but then he got her out for a play and then we got a phone call saying he’d like a pup 😂 Not mentioning any names but it’s a huge compliment from this particular chap!

Fair play to you for doing that 👍🏻

A lad I know took a bitch to a stud the other week, the stud owner asked for a pup instead of stud fee. 

Stud owner was told he can have pick of the litter but had to pay the price difference between the stud fees and the pup selling price. 

So basically the stud owner just ended up with a discount on a pup. 

How you getting on with your pups? Hope your well. 
My pup messing about has come good now just like you said :) he’s like different dog. Looking hopefully :) 

On 06/03/2021 at 16:21, Lloyd90 said:

Fair play to you for doing that 👍🏻

A lad I know took a bitch to a stud the other week, the stud owner asked for a pup instead of stud fee. 

Stud owner was told he can have pick of the litter but had to pay the price difference between the stud fees and the pup selling price. 

So basically the stud owner just ended up with a discount on a pup. 

How you getting on with your pups? Hope your well. 
My pup messing about has come good now just like you said :) he’s like different dog. Looking hopefully :) 

Hmm I’ve heard a story like that recently, didn’t go down well with the stud owner 😂 Probs not talking about the same people though!

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Hmm I’ve heard a story like that recently, didn’t go down well with the stud owner 😂 Probs not talking about the same people though!

All kicked off last week as someone asked for a pup back as the stud fee, the stud owner had pick of the litter then sold it straight away for £1500. 

The bitch owner was spitting feathers and going mad online. 

31 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

All kicked off last week as someone asked for a pup back as the stud fee, the stud owner had pick of the litter then sold it straight away for £1500. 

The bitch owner was spitting feathers and going mad online. 

🙈🙈🙈 OMG I don’t blame them!! 

1 hour ago, mowdy said:

I have had ESS dogs for over 25 yrs .Around here it is always POTL or price of a pup for stud fee.

same here the worlds gone bonkers and a severe shortage of good working dogs in the working dog community

3 hours ago, mowdy said:

I have had ESS dogs for over 25 yrs .Around here it is always POTL or price of a pup for stud fee.

Don't shoot the messenger ...

Currently price of an ESS is about £2k on average, ranging from roughly £1500-2500 though. 

Stick your stud dog up and tell people you want the price of a pup as stud fee, or even low ball it and say you want £1500, or a pup out of the litter. 

I am sure people will be queueing up to use your dog at stud ... 

It's not like theres 50+ top stud dogs available at stud online for less than £500 a go is it?! :hmm: 

Well you do it your way and we will do it they way we have always done  potl or price of a pup . Every one that I deal with is happy with that as well . 
Also if the stud fee is the same as a pup price  so what .

It might  actually stop some Irresponsible people when they realise that they have to pay out good money before the start breeding  from there bitch,?

3 hours ago, mowdy said:

It might  actually stop some Irresponsible people when they realise that they have to pay out good money before the start breeding  from there bitch,?

That’s not really the case though is it? 

Because in reality we are seeing the exact opposite of what your suggesting. 

People are paying studs the usual stud fee of £3-400, and instead of thinking before breeding it seems everyone is breeding any dog they can get their hands on. 

23 minutes ago, Shambam1962 said:

Hi Lloyd I see you have Ted, available for stud @ £200 on Pets4homes .

Is he health tested?

Some cracking photos of him.

Good luck with the advert.

Yes mate he is 👍🏻 

He has been put up for fairly cheap as he is not yet proven and not yet awarded at trial. 

As I am sure you can see on the site there are a high number of stud dogs available to the bitch owner, they are spoilt for choice really.  

I am hopefully we might pickup a trial award next season (if we can get a run anywhere!!) but you never know on the day. 

If someone offers me the pick of the litter I would consider it if the bitch has similarly good bloodlines 👍🏻🤣 I just can’t see it happening though. 

At some point I’d like to find a bitch going back to Toonarmy Torrent on the Edwardiana Line and get a bitch pup that Ted has tired that marries up well with that line :) 

Edited by Lloyd90

Hi Lloyd90 I have a bitch sired by Murrayeden Apollo of Nederscot and she has Toonarmy Torrent in her lines.

She is a cracker , but I have tried to mate her for the past 3 times to 2 different dogs and she doesn’t get pregnant ( Tan’s Wildfowling Star ).

She ties no problem with the dog, but just doesn’t conceive.

I mated my dog OZZY Taverners Taren to her twice and no pups.

I was asked back in the summer if I would mate my dog Ozzy to her litter sister and she produced 9 pups no problem.

I know the fault isn’t with the stud dog as he is producing some nice pups over the last 6 months.

I’ll give her another try in June and cross my fingers.

13 minutes ago, Shambam1962 said:

Hi Lloyd90 I have a bitch sired by Murrayeden Apollo of Nederscot and she has Toonarmy Torrent in her lines.

She is a cracker , but I have tried to mate her for the past 3 times to 2 different dogs and she doesn’t get pregnant ( Tan’s Wildfowling Star ).

She ties no problem with the dog, but just doesn’t conceive.

I mated my dog OZZY Taverners Taren to her twice and no pups.

I was asked back in the summer if I would mate my dog Ozzy to her litter sister and she produced 9 pups no problem.

I know the fault isn’t with the stud dog as he is producing some nice pups over the last 6 months.

I’ll give her another try in June and cross my fingers.

They’re all different mate, my pal is brilliant with breeding he knows the exact date to mate his bitches for them to take. 

One of them he mates when it is usually considered “too late” and she always takes, if he mates her when he is technically supposed to she don’t take. 

You can get a progesterone test that is supposed to tell you exactly when the bitch is ready, my mate reckons they’re great and work really well but I know some others who’ve said they don’t think they’re 100% accurate. 

I know the owner of Nederscot dogs trained with him a lot recently, got good dogs, he’s got a bitch coming on almost same age as my pup. 

Edited by Lloyd90

On 08/03/2021 at 19:27, mowdy said:

Same here.

Mated my dog with a bitch last year and had POTL. Unfortunately he was extremely quiet so I moved him on.

I have two POTL coming very shortly, so will be picking the best one for me, then moving 5he other on.

1 hour ago, albifrons said:

Same here.

Mated my dog with a bitch last year and had POTL. Unfortunately he was extremely quiet so I moved him on.

I have two POTL coming very shortly, so will be picking the best one for me, then moving 5he other on.

That’s a great deal for you. 

Keep the best one, you’ll easily sell the other one with current prices. 

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Heres the lines of mine 👍🏻

5647FD1F-72F0-48FA-B526-FB408BB1CB0A.jpeg

Interesting, that!  Yours and mine have got loads of common ancestors.  Rytex Rod is on both sides 😵

Badgercourt Gryphon is shown as FTW on mine (if you can zoom in that far!)

1575060086_WinstonPedigree1.jpg.99206660c35a21a1e6ac044d1d26d3b6.jpg

1 hour ago, Jim Neal said:

Interesting, that!  Yours and mine have got loads of common ancestors.  Rytex Rod is on both sides 😵

Badgercourt Gryphon is shown as FTW on mine (if you can zoom in that far!)

1575060086_WinstonPedigree1.jpg.99206660c35a21a1e6ac044d1d26d3b6.jpg

Yes technically only FTCH should be in red, however many breeders who do up their own pedigree templates with put novice winners and open winners in red as it’s still a good achievement. 

EG in Teds his Dam (Pepperpot) has won novice and open and run in the British championship. I’ve got it on film just can’t remember the year off top of my head. She has had a couple seconds and thirds I think so far just missing out on being a FTCH herself. 

His sire (Spirit) won novice and has placed 2nd and 3rd in open trials in the U.K. 

He won open trial in Ireland and ran in the Irish champs, got that on film too :)

You could look at a pedigree of a pet dog and it’s all in black, and then those two dogs names are also in black, a shame really as it just does not reflect the quality of the individual.