Offset Smoker

Pangolin

42 minutes ago, stumpy69 said:

Awesome job, I had the barrels to make one but ended up going down the UDS route instead. Might be forced to get another barrel and build an offset too but mu 'outdoor kitchen' and other assorted outdoor furlough projects are now taking up most of the garden!

Do it, it only cost me about £30 to do, £20 of which was for the grill.

9 minutes ago, Fatcatsplat said:

I've never managed to maintain temperature in an offset - Great for grilling and for a quick smoke up, but if you're looking at a long cook on a brisket or a pork shoulder i think vertical is the way forward

Nah, its sound for temps, a good layer of restaurant grade charcoal, wireless thermometer with a temp warning setting that alerts me on the receiver when I need to pop out and put wood on before its low.

Those 18hr smokes were fine.

I dont really like the verticals, prefer the room of the offset.

8 minutes ago, ditchman said:

the culinary expertise...of the folk on here far outweigh them carpy food programmes on the telly..:good:

I love cooking, always take pride in my food.

9 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Excellent job. I made one just from one 45g made two sections but that is the canines.    12hr brisket takes some beating.  I intend boning out a venison haunch and doing that for 8 - 12hrs once we are allowed to have friends round this summer..... if ever!!

Did you experience the 'stall' when doing the brisket?

11 hours ago, Pangolin said:

I love cooking, always take pride in my food.

When I do brisket I trim and tidy it the day before and then season and marinate it overnight. The following morning I ly the charcoal in the lower area and get it a nice grey colour then put the brisket on the top rack. I then put half a dozen chunks of pre soaked (in water) oak, plum, cherry .... whatver is availble on top of the hot charcoal and seal it up.   Two or three hours later I check progress and then an hour later I lift the brisket baste it and double wrap in foil. Keeping the charcoal at the same heat I then leave well alone until late afternoon eventually letting the heat fall away.  An hour before I need to slice and serve it I unwqrap the brisket and let it form a nice crusty surface.  never had any complaints from visitors.   If it 'stalls' I have not noticed but do not understand the term.  Tender, like a hot knife through butter and moist and full of flavour.  The seasoning I use is a traditional Cajun mix.

15 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

When I do brisket I trim and tidy it the day before and then season and marinate it overnight. The following morning I ly the charcoal in the lower area and get it a nice grey colour then put the brisket on the top rack. I then put half a dozen chunks of pre soaked (in water) oak, plum, cherry .... whatver is availble on top of the hot charcoal and seal it up.   Two or three hours later I check progress and then an hour later I lift the brisket baste it and double wrap in foil. Keeping the charcoal at the same heat I then leave well alone until late afternoon eventually letting the heat fall away.  An hour before I need to slice and serve it I unwqrap the brisket and let it form a nice crusty surface.  never had any complaints from visitors.   If it 'stalls' I have not noticed but do not understand the term.  Tender, like a hot knife through butter and moist and full of flavour.  The seasoning I use is a traditional Cajun mix.

The stall is where you see the internal meat temperature stop rising for a while, after a couple hours of cooking the internal meat temperature stalls because the energy that was being used to heat the meat is now at a level where the fat is rendering and the moisture is evaporating causing a plateau. Same kinda way your body keep you cool by sweating.

It wouldnt be notice able if your not using a thermometer or smoking a small brisket, I did a 6kg brisket and a 5kg pork shoulder at the same time and there was quite a big stall during the 18hr smoke. Turned out great afterwards.

4 hours ago, Pangolin said:

The stall is where you see the internal meat temperature stop rising for a while, after a couple hours of cooking the internal meat temperature stalls because the energy that was being used to heat the meat is now at a level where the fat is rendering and the moisture is evaporating causing a plateau. Same kinda way your body keep you cool by sweating.

It wouldnt be notice able if your not using a thermometer or smoking a small brisket, I did a 6kg brisket and a 5kg pork shoulder at the same time and there was quite a big stall during the 18hr smoke. Turned out great afterwards.

You've just got to get through it (but make sure you still have plenty of fuel!). Lockdown has been kind to me in that WFH i can do long smokes regularly and i can finally make a brisket that wobbles

2 minutes ago, Fatcatsplat said:

You've just got to get through it (but make sure you still have plenty of fuel!). Lockdown has been kind to me in that WFH i can do long smokes regularly and i can finally make a brisket that wobbles

Always got fuel, brother works for an arboriculturist.

I wrap it when the stall hits and wait it out.

Edited by Pangolin

16 hours ago, Pangolin said:

The Stall! I had a pork shoulder stall at 162°F for nearly 10 hours last Friday even though I wrapped it in butcher paper after an hour. Ended up having to make an emergency supper and wait out it hitting temperature at midnight.

25 minutes ago, stumpy69 said:

The Stall! I had a pork shoulder stall at 162°F for nearly 10 hours last Friday even though I wrapped it in butcher paper after an hour. Ended up having to make an emergency supper and wait out it hitting temperature at midnight.

How annoying, bet it rendered some fat out quite well though.

Last time i did a pork shoulder, I injected it with apple juice and soy sauce, was immense.

Edited by Pangolin

Hah!!   I see what you mean now.  I have a temp gauge on the unit and I also use a meat thermometer near to the end of cooking, really just to satisfy me it is cooked.  I suppose in a way my smoker is a very large version of one of those small fish hot smokers you can buy because I run it at about 235/240degs.  Whatever it produces some dilectable eating.  Yes I have cooked a full trimmed brisket, fed ten folks from it with some cold next day for sandwiches.  Now your making me restless for the warmer months and being let out of jail and being able to entertaine friends again.   I got the idea from the B Q Pit Boys on youtube.  They are worth a visit.

32 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Hah!!   I see what you mean now.  I have a temp gauge on the unit and I also use a meat thermometer near to the end of cooking, really just to satisfy me it is cooked.  I suppose in a way my smoker is a very large version of one of those small fish hot smokers you can buy because I run it at about 235/240degs.  Whatever it produces some dilectable eating.  Yes I have cooked a full trimmed brisket, fed ten folks from it with some cold next day for sandwiches.  Now your making me restless for the warmer months and being let out of jail and being able to entertaine friends again.   I got the idea from the B Q Pit Boys on youtube.  They are worth a visit.

Yup, summer brisket will be good, as you can see above I did a bbq roast chicken in the snow its just not as enjoyable in grey weather.

Man, a wireless thermopro thermometer is great, temp prob in the cut of meat and then keep the receiver with you in the house to monitor the temps.