Sand Martins

twenty

What a journey and we think we are clever don't we.  I remember risking life and limb traversing the side of a clay pit alongside our farm and checking for eggs. I never did get one for my collection. That was about 1950.  As kids we did some crazy things back then and no concern for the 50ft vertical drop into yellowy green coloured water.

Delightful birds to watch.  

17 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

What a journey and we think we are clever don't we.  I remember risking life and limb traversing the side of a clay pit alongside our farm and checking for eggs. I never did get one for my collection. That was about 1950.  As kids we did some crazy things back then and no concern for the 50ft vertical drop into yellowy green coloured water.

Delightful birds to watch.  

Yeah the same here, I used to climb anything, to any height, when i was out bird nesting. 

Got my hand stuck in a nest hole in a tree once as well...........happy days.

Hobby (known to follow/hunt martins) reported local in Suffolk last week. Sighting (witnessed by 3 peps) was dismissed by bird boffs saying would of been earliest ever recorded. I mentioned it to very knowledgeable falconer mate (got hobby's) and he not surprised at all. Has seen himself and believes some now overwinter in the area/country. . . . Same ol story. If "experts" or one of their own don't see something it get's dismissed. If it was one of them they would be jumping up ad down claiming a record. Gal i know Who's life long naturalists/country gal and a Sheppard, really knows her birds has lot of her rare sightings she reports dismissed cos she's a woman. Sadly still a lot of biggoted snobbery in the bird world . . . Saw sand martins feeding over a local lake in late November last year. Some might overwinter and survive. Swallows sightings get reported in every month now.   NB    

Nature Boy, I agree. If the experts and birdy club members don't see them they don't exist.

I saw a White Stork over my village three years ago but doubts were cast when I reported it.

Back on track, a single Sand Martin was seen on the Lincolnshire coast last week.

Three White Wagtails were reported yesterday.