Talk from the Farmers Yard

Agriv8

So as I am working around farm buildings with a hush power on my little Yildiz 410. been shooting around the buildings and listening for sheep and cows to gauge reaction sudden movements but apart from them being nosey they all seem quite cool to the idea of this man wandering around with a torch blasting the little grey things. Alway in the bak of my mind My farmer mate is not going to be happy if one of his prize beef bulls goes lame after me giving it the fright of its life, so just like dogs I have introduces them to the silenced .410 slowly working toward the buildings.

Anyway I ventured between cow sheds and around yard on a Reci was more than a plan but a few that just sat there were dispatched so 5 with 8 shots had me smiling the fun of the hunt under torch lite got a few on Shotcam if I can work out a way to upload. I know its not stalking dear but quite enjoyed pitting my wits against em.

Plan to be back out tomorrow night then on the pigeons on that have taken to roosting in the cow shed eaves Friday work permitting that's going to take some head scratching.

ATB Agriv8

I use the 17HMR with moderator in the yard of a dairy farm. As anyone with a 17hmr knows even with a mod it is not silent.  I did a trial shot as the cows where walking from lairage to the parlour about 25yrds away and they didn't blink.  Just another loud noise amongst all the others in a working farmyard.  The 17hmr is better with all that concrete about less chance of one bouncing off than with a 22rf and some shots are a bit stretchy for the air rifle. I'm fortunate I am allowed a fully enclosed four poster high seat right in the middle of the complex.  I also checked with the staff actually milking in the parlour and they said they didn't notice the shot over the general noise in there, cows coughing, machine sucking etc etc.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I use the 17HMR with moderator in the yard of a dairy farm. As anyone with a 17hmr knows even with a mod it is not silent.  I did a trial shot as the cows where walking from lairage to the parlour about 25yrds away and they didn't blink.  Just another loud noise amongst all the others in a working farmyard.  The 17hmr is better with all that concrete about less chance of one bouncing off than with a 22rf and some shots are a bit stretchy for the air rifle. I'm fortunate I am allowed a fully enclosed four poster high seat right in the middle of the complex.  I also checked with the staff actually milking in the parlour and they said they didn't notice the shot over the general noise in there, cows coughing, machine sucking etc etc.

thanks Walker 570 only got shotgun Cert but been down today to get an idea while its light and have a bit of a risk assessment with farmer to where I plan to setup next.

Farmer mate is very happy with 5 rats on his roof . 

will see if I can get the footage up 

ATB Agriv8

i use a headlamp for shooting rats with a .410 mossberg pump, after a bit of practice it becomes see it shoot it. Cows have never taken any notice even when shooting right next to them. 2 inch carts are as quiet as 3 in subsonics and just as effective at the short ranges in and around barns - but cheaper. Your 2 links work fine for me.

You will find a rapid drop off in numbers seen if you go too often at the same time following the same route - they learn fast. 

23 minutes ago, 243deer said:

i use a headlamp for shooting rats with a .410 mossberg pump, after a bit of practice it becomes see it shoot it. Cows have never taken any notice even when shooting right next to them. 2 inch carts are as quiet as 3 in subsonics and just as effective at the short ranges in and around barns - but cheaper. Your 2 links work fine for me.

You will find a rapid drop off in numbers seen if you go too often at the same time following the same route - they learn fast. 

243deer - thanks for that, one to think about. the Reci' last night was on the way round to a shipping container which is believed to cover 2 or 3 nests judging by numbers seen scurrying back under when I was pocking  around planning on setting up on top. I like the head torch do you leave it on and walk about os stationary turn on and scan and shoot ? as the 410 is so light I have just been holding the torch with the hand under formed its trigger pull to turn on so bit of a swat team setup !

The 3inch are a mix of eley sub and non subsonic but as I say I do have a Hush power mod fitted to my Little Yildiz and  I can't hear any difference I will get sound meter out and test when I remember to take it with me..   they are  what I had lying around and need using so hats why I started ratting with them as you say Cows seemed more nosey than scared but damaging a £1/2k prime beef bull over a rat does not make sense to me. Also 3 mothers in calf and a few youngsters so softly softly for now.

thanks Again Agriv8

I have never had an issue with cattle and gun shots,maybe I have been lucky but horses are a different matter.

I don't think I have ever seen a horse that is ok with the sound of a shot.I have seen some take off even when a fair distance from where I have been shooting.I have always stopped and gone elsewhere. Don't want the blame of a a horse breaking its leg or running into a fence by being startled by my shots.