Ragley Hall Gamefair

steve_b_wales

8 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Interesting.  I live not too far away, and the fair has kept a very low profile this year.  I have seen no advertising locally.  Locals in the area are a bit 'wary' as we were badly hit in spring 2020 by Covid after the big Cheltenham Gold Cup meet two days before lockdown began - which led (briefly) to Cheltenham/Gloucester having one of the highest hospital admissions anywhere and the only death very local to me actually definitely from Covid.  I won't be going this year - mainly because I have all I want shooting wise, fishing seems to have dropped out of the game fair to a great extent and have (most important and after a after a long wait) got a plumber in that week to fix a very inaccessible leaky pipe from back in April!

I think you are right that in these 'shop from home' days, game fair bargains are largely a thing of the past.

I have to admit i was there for the last Cheltenham and then spent the next two weeks waiting to die!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, jeffgg said:

Has any one been today and how was it cheers Jeff 

We went today - lots of people reported big problems getting there, queuing for several hours. We came from the Evesham side and had no problem but I was annoyed to find the priority parking was no different to normal parking. 
It was ok, not as big as previous years. As everyone else says, don’t expect bargains. It was nice to go out and do something after the last 18 months we’ve had, but if I’m honest it was a 4 hour plus round trip, £60 for tickets and I’m neutral about whether it was worth it 

I didn't go, but friends did and called in for tea on the way home.  Much as Simonm above, they didn't have traffic problems, and reported it wasn't as big as previous years.  In particular - fishing was not much represented.  They found the 'row signs' and site maps were rather lacking making finding what you wanted less easy than previous years.  Overall they enjoyed their day and tell me it is at Ragley again next year.

We went but got there really early as we had breakfast included as part of our platinum package but lots of people we spoke to later complained of traffic issues. Several of the demonstrations were cancelled or changed, lots of people and as above no bargains.

All seemed a bit chaotic (poor signage in the ground, untrained staff) but it was good to get out. It almost seemed as if the organisers wern't expecting it to go ahead and then at the last minute when it got confirmed it was panic to organize everything

Would we go again next year? At the moment we would probably leave it 

That was the worst Game Fair I've ever been to.  Not worth the travel and expense.  Hardly any big names and full of cheap rubbish. The fishing was a disgrace. Five stalls of absolute rubbish.  I really don't see a future in these shows now and it's a shame. They used to be brilliant.  Don't bother going, you'll come away disappointed. Sad state of affairs.

37 minutes ago, ilovemyheckler said:

Many of these country shows are less about field sports and more about shopping (mostly overpriced rubbish), burgers and beer!

You can't say that and disappoint all the disillusioned fools that love their days out, paying to park and get in to a country themed weekend market/glorified boot-fair. :w00t:

in the old days there were "show specials" with good savings, all that seems to have gone now!  :rolleyes:

I mean, there’s a cost to doing anything with the family.

Not a BASC member then?

It does seem to be a bit of a party for people who work in the industry, with members of the public invited in for good measure. Still going but probably would think twice if entrance wasn’t thrown in with BASC membership 

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes.

Shame really, I was almost looking forward to it!

Kinda kicking myself for not buying my ticket at £25 but I’ve been before when it’s rained and it was awful!

2 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I mean, there’s a cost to doing anything with the family.

Not a BASC member then?

It does seem to be a bit of a party for people who work in the industry, with members of the public invited in for good measure. Still going but probably would think twice if entrance wasn’t thrown in with BASC membership 

Yeah I get that bud.

No, NGO I’m afraid for me. All down to the cost!

I've just got back from the game fair. Disappointing a bit, but good to get away from home etc. A few 'bargains' on the gun stalls, but nothing special. I was annoyed that there was no stalls selling sausages, pickles etc like 2 years ago. The fair was mainly clothes and food stalls. I went free as I'm with BASC but paid £25 for my wife's ticket plus £2.50 handling fee, so a 'saving' of £1.50!!!!  There were no problems, traffic wise and well signposted. 

I won't be going next year though.

Edited by steve_b_wales

I thought it was about as good as it was going to get, bearing in mind the massive hedging of bets of all in industry.  Crossed the threshold by about 9am, was done by 12:30. 

I did notice that not taking a partner interested in browsing and trying on clothes at the expensive end of the market, drastically cut down the browsing time too!

About the most interesting thing to me was the Ineos Grenadier they had on show there.  I was clearly not the only one to think that though, people were several deep around it so I couldn't take a proper look.

Am sure next year will be better (assuming no more economy-crippling lockdowns).

Edited by udderlyoffroad

15 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

It was a bit poo, but i say that every year. Gunmakers row and the fishing village were very abridged. The demo's were good and it was good to get out for the day, but i'm not sure how sustainable it is as an event 

All the time people go along hoping it might be better gives them another year to offer the same carp at an ever increasing expense.

They will eventually die out when they run out of punters.