Vegans get another victory...

southeastpete

18 minutes ago, southeastpete said:

Don’t worry, I don’t devote a lot of time, energy or thought into it. But it would be very interesting, science proves plants feel, vegans all starve to death...?

Why worry what they think? As long as they leave us alone, why not let them live however they choose to. 

21 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

That's very convenient. He said he "did put the wind up" so I don't really see what else that means, even if it didn't he took great pleasure in it winding the guy up. 

I don't mean to pick on that post in particular, it's not that bad, but I'm using it just to point out we're not that different sometimes, we all think we're right and it'd be far better to respect each others positions, which is obviously very true of many vegans and some shooters to. 

I think this was taken a bit out of context tbh. I came in from a days shooting and as usual wandered into the house with said pigeons and my shotgun as I normally do after all its my house. I didn't know the boyfriend was there (daughter at the time was 15 so its not like there was a car outside to let me know someone was visiting)  so just said "Hi" and proceeded through to the garage to sort he pigeons out. It was only a few day later that my daughter informed with the lad was a bit unnerved (after all we have been there when you first meet the parents). My daughter didnt really help matters when she let him know she is also a keen shooter and goes out with me a lot. I think that really put the nail in the coffin.

I thought it was a bit of a light hearted anecdote of a clash of country sports and someone who probably hasn't run into it before. Its not like I said hi and then proceeded to get the shotgun out of the safe to show him with a meaningful look or anything dozy like that.

On the other side I don't hid my hobby and and quite happy to tell people I shoot/ stalk. In fact I do generally during game season supply quite a few of my employees with pheasant and duck if they want it. Also I have no problems debating the rights and the wrongs of hunting / shooting with those that object to it.

1 minute ago, WalkedUp said:

I would agree. 

When my daughter took up with her boyfriend he didn’t shoot, but turned up the first time with his dog, so he was halfway there (in my eyes).  Now he shoots game, likes to stalk and has hunted in Africa with me.

Just now, London Best said:

When my daughter took up with her boyfriend he didn’t shoot, but turned up the first time with his dog, so he was halfway there (in my eyes).  Now he shoots game, likes to stalk and has hunted in Africa with me.

Excellent. I suppose I was that boyfriend, I always shot air rifles as a child then had stopped mid teens. Aged 17 I met my wife. She came from a family who hunt so had exposure to it again and haven’t looked back in almost 20 years. Except for the 2004 ban 😡

2 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Excellent. I suppose I was that boyfriend, I always shot air rifles as a child then had stopped mid teens. Aged 17 I met my wife. She came from a family who hunt so had exposure to it again and haven’t looked back in almost 20 years. Except for the 2004 ban 😡

I spent about four years trying to find a girlfriend whose daddy owned an estate and bought her an E type for Christmas, or at least a farmer’s daughter. Failed dismally and ended up with a coal man’s daughter from a council estate. Fifty years on I wouldn’t change a thing.

Just now, London Best said:

I spent about four years trying to find a girlfriend whose daddy owned an estate and bought her an E type for Christmas, or at least a farmer’s daughter. Failed dismally and ended up with a coal man’s daughter from a council estate. Fifty years on I wouldn’t change a thing.

👍

9 hours ago, Zetter said:

I think this was taken a bit out of context tbh. I came in from a days shooting and as usual wandered into the house with said pigeons and my shotgun as I normally do after all its my house. I didn't know the boyfriend was there (daughter at the time was 15 so its not like there was a car outside to let me know someone was visiting)  so just said "Hi" and proceeded through to the garage to sort he pigeons out. It was only a few day later that my daughter informed with the lad was a bit unnerved (after all we have been there when you first meet the parents). My daughter didnt really help matters when she let him know she is also a keen shooter and goes out with me a lot. I think that really put the nail in the coffin.

I thought it was a bit of a light hearted anecdote of a clash of country sports and someone who probably hasn't run into it before. Its not like I said hi and then proceeded to get the shotgun out of the safe to show him with a meaningful look or anything dozy like that.

On the other side I don't hid my hobby and and quite happy to tell people I shoot/ stalk. In fact I do generally during game season supply quite a few of my employees with pheasant and duck if they want it. Also I have no problems debating the rights and the wrongs of hunting / shooting with those that object to it.

All sounds fair enough and like I said in an earlier post, it wasn't like it would have been the worst thing in the world to do either, but you found it amusing it wound him up, which is basically what you were accusing vegans of doing, I'm just pointing out that we in the shooting community can be just as bad and itd be far better we try and respect each others positions than war with each other. I've seen some posts on this forum in the past from people talking about vegans and they sound nearly as deranged as a rabid anti. 

7 hours ago, London Best said:

Sounds to me as if you are well rid of said boyfriend. If he doesn’t shoot he is obviously the wrong type.

Ive good friends who are vegetarian and one person who's vegan. They're some of the nicest people I know. Why judge someone based on what they eat, I find it slightly petty tbh. 

Am I the only one that got introduced to the daughters new boyfriend,  while sitting at the kitchen table , with bits of blood and hair about my person , wearing only my pants , and sharpening my gralloching knife ?.  In my defence,  it was a totally unexpected introduction . She told me later , that when they left , he needed to sit down as he felt faint .😳. We went on to be great friends for years , until they parted company. 

Moving forward a few years , the time came for the introduction to another new boyfriend , my daughter made me promise that I would at least be wearing clothes this time😳.they turned up hours later than agreed , and just as I was cleaning my gun before I went to bed 😳 . The new boyfriend was always wary of me after that first meeting,  not that I was too upset about it , because I never liked the little xxxx anyway 😊.

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

Am I the only one that got introduced to the daughters new boyfriend,  while sitting at the kitchen table , with bits of blood and hair about my person , wearing only my pants , and sharpening my gralloching knife ?.  In my defence,  it was a totally unexpected introduction . She told me later , that when they left , he needed to sit down as he felt faint .😳. We went on to be great friends for years , until they parted company. 

Moving forward a few years , the time came for the introduction to another new boyfriend , my daughter made me promise that I would at least be wearing clothes this time😳.they turned up hours later than agreed , and just as I was cleaning my gun before I went to bed 😳 . The new boyfriend was always wary of me after that first meeting,  not that I was too upset about it , because I never liked the little xxxx anyway 😊.

😂😂😂

4 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

No problem as long as they afford everyone else the same "luxury"

Exactly! 

4 hours ago, southeastpete said:

At what point have I worried about what they think? At what point have I not let them live how they choose to?

Well you have written a thread about it? 

On 04/03/2021 at 11:40, derbyduck said:

Actually there is a chap on facebook  advocating shooting should also be classed as a religion for protection under the same law and advising we put shooting down as our religion on the next censors form !

Yes I put it on my census last night.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/270233501137707

If the veggies can do it why not us. I don't care what they eat but I won't go trying to force them to eat meat

6 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Exactly! 

Well you have written a thread about it? 

I started a thread about vegans being afforded the same legal rights as religions, where have I said i worried about anything? Where have I mentioned not letting them live how they choose to?

17 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

... you found it amusing it wound him up...

If I may butt in, I think there's a simple fix for this and it's just a misunderstanding over the written vs spoken word

I think you have just misinterpreted the word "wind" in Pete's original post meant as "put the wind up him", meaning "got him flustered" or such like.  "Wind" as in the stuff that blows around.  I think you might have read it as something like "wind up" as in "winding someone up" which, I don't think, is what Pete wrote :)

8 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

If I may butt in, I think there's a simple fix for this and it's just a misunderstanding over the written vs spoken word

I think you have just misinterpreted the word "wind" in Pete's original post meant as "put the wind up him", meaning "got him flustered" or such like.  "Wind" as in the stuff that blows around.  I think you might have read it as something like "wind up" as in "winding someone up" which, I don't think, is what Pete wrote

Your right I did 😂

My appoliges to Pete. Although my point remains the same, I'm going to continue to enjoy my rights and freedoms and vegans can live how they choose to. 

14 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Your right I did 😂

My appoliges to Pete. Although my point remains the same, I'm going to continue to enjoy my rights and freedoms and vegans can live how they choose to. 

I suspected so! And yep that's the way we should all live life really 👍