A new low

WalkedUp

There's a very old, sadly not used anymore, Chapel two doors from my parents house. A few years ago, a lorry pulled up outside the chapel, and a few men started to remove the paving stones around the chapel grounds. My father, being the good person he is, made them tea and gave them biscuits etc. They were there for many hours and nobody batted an eyelid. It then transpired that the slabs were stolen!:hmmm:

Also, 25+ years ago, our local council replaced old stone slabs with concrete ones, on a pavement at least 500 yards long. Most of the slabs were transported to America.

Edited by steve_b_wales

they look like standard concrete slabs...........and they did the council a favour......

20 years ago or so...i was overseeing one of my contracts in Covent garden...were replacing the pavement slabs with york stone slabs at a cost of £200 quid a slab...and that was 20 or so years ago....was also relaying the the square with new granite sets bought in from spain............the price /set would make your eyes water..

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

There's a very old, sadly not used anymore, Chapel two doors from my parents house. A few years ago, a lorry pulled up outside the chapel, and a few men started to remove the paving stones around the chapel grounds. My father, being the good person he is, made them tea and gave them biscuits etc. They were there for many hours and nobody batted an eyelid. It then transpired that the slabs were stolen!:hmmm:

Also, 25+ years ago, our local council replaced old stone slabs with concrete ones, on a pavement at least 500 yards long. Most of the slabs were transported to America.

Hello, the same thing happened in Oxford but roof tiles, a building used by many different activities , no one took any notice 🤔 

I know of a abandoned house that I use to live near to, known to the urban explorers lot as Red Dress Manor - Google it for a full tour - where someone drove into the stack yard round the back and took the slate roof off the sheds and nobody questioned it.

Needless to say they didn't have permission to acquire said slates!