looking again

Well it looks like i have lost my one and only permission (pigeons and ground game/vermin). no fault of my own, very safe, mature, experienced, insured gun, so looking for anything that may be available in the southeast (yeah i know 😅). i am Sussex based but happy to travel, Kent, Surrey, Hampshire  and either help out, or pay for the privilege of getting some time out in the fields. all rules you lay down will be religiously adhered to, and equally happy to help out on a one off basis when your land is getting hammered.

Thanks for reading. 

Steve

sgc and air rifle 

1 hour ago, Morkin said:

Morning Steve ,Someone else stepped in or being built on ?

Morning,

Yep the land owner has a young nephew who is taking the spot, I only had the perm for the last two years but its gutting as the land is plenty big enough to accommodate us both, but that's his decision, just hope the nephew looses interest and my phone rings again 👍🏻

Yes I know how you feel ,I have a young lad just left school think he knows the lot ,think he is a keeper because he has the internet but full of b......t I am hanging in doing quirrals and other vermin because he is not interested in that because it can not be seen benefit straight away .All the best.

Is it the case that the nephew is just having a walk round with his gun, if so, can you not approach him and see if you can work something out together?

If on the other hand the nephew has friends who have got together and plan on turning it into a small walk round shoot, then this would annoy me that you were never asked to join in, although this type of thing happens a lot, I think its totally unfair of the farmer and his nephew,  unfortunately there ain't much you can do about it.

Or is it the case that the farmer just wants you off the ground?

3 hours ago, eggy74 said:

Morning,

Yep the land owner has a young nephew who is taking the spot, I only had the perm for the last two years but its gutting as the land is plenty big enough to accommodate us both, but that's his decision, just hope the nephew looses interest and my phone rings again 👍🏻

You obviously haven’t made a friend of the farmer or he would likely have included you somehow. I find it essential to become farmer’s friends.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Is it the case that the nephew is just having a walk round with his gun, if so, can you not approach him and see if you can work something out together?

If on the other hand the nephew has friends who have got together and plan on turning it into a small walk round shoot, then this would annoy me that you were never asked to join in, although this type of thing happens a lot, I think its totally unfair of the farmer and his nephew,  unfortunately there ain't much you can do about it.

Or is it the case that the farmer just wants you off the ground?

As far as i am aware i have never upset the landowner in any way, always followed the rules laid down, im certainly not going to argue with him as its 100% his decision and i never like to burn bridges so to speak. no idea what the situation is with his nephew, didnt want to propbe.

37 minutes ago, London Best said:

You obviously haven’t made a friend of the farmer or he would likely have included you somehow. I find it essential to become farmer’s friends.

only ever spoken to him a handful of times, i have been going through his manager when i arrange visits. i hear what you are saying though 👍

19 minutes ago, eggy74 said:

As far as i am aware i have never upset the landowner in any way, always followed the rules laid down, im certainly not going to argue with him as its 100% his decision and i never like to burn bridges so to speak. no idea what the situation is with his nephew, didnt want to propbe.

only ever spoken to him a handful of times, i have been going through his manager when i arrange visits. i hear what you are saying though 👍

Reading between the lines I think there is more to this than meets the eye, you mention a farm manager, how big is the farm? As there been talk between the farm manager and the potential income from the sporting rights? I think the nephew is a smoke screen, but like you say its his land and he can do as he pleases.

As London Best said, always try to make as much contact/friendship with the farmer as possible, it goes a long way when someone else comes knocking at the door for shooting.

15 minutes ago, London Best said:

I have not asked a farmer for shooting permission for at least thirty years unless I have made friends with him first.

If I see pigeons or blacks on land I do not shoot I will go knock his door, after a chat and a bit of name dropping I am usually successful in getting permission.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I have not asked a farmer for shooting permission for at least thirty years unless I have made friends with him first.

Unfortunately where I live is all owned by estates, very few independent farms here, far more guns than there is available land, so I have to travel out of area for shooting 

2 hours ago, eggy74 said:

Unfortunately where I live is all owned by estates, very few independent farms here, far more guns than there is available land, so I have to travel out of area for shooting 

Have you thought about getting your foot through the door on the estates that are near and handy to where you live , the easiest way is down the beating route , if you don't know the keepers then ring or send the estate office a letter to offer your services and someone will get back to you , once you go on the first one there will be a good chance you will be asked again , if the shoot have week days then try and put in for a days holiday and the more you attend the more offers will come your way such as an invite on the beaters day , roost shooting and a chance at decoying , but don't expect a load of shooting if you can only make the odd Saturday , if you are keen enough then put your name down on as many estates as possible so if one place is full the next one might need some new recruits , don't give up at the first hurdle as there will be set backs but if you want something bad enough then by the putting the effort in you will get results . the ones who don't are the ones waiting near there phone waiting for that call that very rarely come .    GOOD LUCK