NEW BSA ULTRA Review published 5 March

gdadphil

11 hours ago, 51/50 said:

That's an interesting comment,i have an SAK on my R10 (& my rimfire) & to me it works well BUT i'm aware that you have far more experience & knowledge on PCP's than i could ever hope to have so i'm now thinking that after i get the R10 tuned & FAC'd it might be wise to try another moderator,i'll see how it goes when that happens 🤔

Hello, on the UK AGF there was a survey on silencers , ?? there a few people on there making very good ones compared to HWs , check out the new MWSS 200 , the other good one is a Hogan Decimeater , 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

To be honest I dont chase ultimate quietness on my airguns .I dont see the point .as long as the mod takes away most of the muzzle crack  thats good enough .

Certainly  in the field .a rabbit hears (and is spooked by ) the pellet passing over its head and any close impact .beyond  say 25 yds the muzzle noise is totally lost .

For this reason and others .I now mainly use short 5 inch mods on a few of my guns as it makes them shorter and better handling  in tight spaces  .

On 12/03/2021 at 23:14, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, on the UK AGF there was a survey on silencers , ?? there a few people on there making very good ones compared to HWs , check out the new MWSS 200 , the other good one is a Hogan Decimeater , 

This is the only shooting forum i've ever signed up to & i have no personal experience of the HW moderators but i've seen plenty positive feedback & reviews on them,i've never heard of the other 2 you've mentioned,i can't see the SAK not being effective on the R10 after it's been ramped up but if i'm ever in doubt the HW would likely be my first port of call.

2 hours ago, 51/50 said:

This is the only shooting forum i've ever signed up to & i have no personal experience of the HW moderators but i've seen plenty positive feedback & reviews on them,i've never heard of the other 2 you've mentioned,i can't see the SAK not being effective on the R10 after it's been ramped up but if i'm ever in doubt the HW would likely be my first port of call.

Hello, my PCP has the new HW silencer and very quite, my FX has a MWSS made by a small company in Newbury, and good to, the Decimeater has good reviews, and I have a SAK on my SMK PR 900 W and came from factory and it is made for air rifles, my CZ 455 has a SAK silencer and best I know for subsonic ammo, 

27 minutes ago, Shufti said:

O P Popper

Current series Ultra /Scorpion etc Have 13mm dovetail. Sportsmatch make them.

Ok thanks, 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The massive build up before the announcement ended in a massive disappointment to be honest. The Ultra is hardly a 'new' gun. To add insult, the RRP is way over the top! You can see I, have an Ultra, I should be biased in saying it's the best gun in the world. Of course it's 'accurate'. All PCP's allow any idiot to shoot like a marksman, I'm living proof of that statement. But £600, for an Ultra? No. 

They do have a massive fan base. Oddly, I'm not one even though I've had mine for a few years now, it's a sweet shooter and, whatever you might be told, the shot count is fine for the real world. It's not what you call a 'looker' though is it? That should be the last thing on the list, even though it's often the first. 

Mine is not even fussed what pellets you subject it to. I've never even cleaned the barrel.

Bottom line is the Ultra is a decent gun, just like so many others. It's way over priced, again, like so many others.  If you really want one, buy it. You will not be disappointed. 

IMG_0093.JPG

Edited by Rockhamster

£609 for a brand new clx  (it is a new gun totally  .just looks like the old one ) 

Compared to most new fx  daystate .hw and some air arms even .you don't get change from 1k  these days .

£600 for a gun that will shoot as accurately or or more so .seems a bargin to me .

Obviously  if your comparing it to a £500 smk or £450 hatsan or  £400kral it's a bit more money .but for that extra £150  your getting reliability and quality  ..

On 11/03/2021 at 13:20, Ultrastu said:

When I've tried a sak on a bsa ultra years ago it was rubbish compared to silencers actually designed  for airguns .

Hello, this SAK mod is designed for air rifles, now fitted to a SMK PR 900, I have my eye on a CLX 👍

At the risk of repeating myself, the SMK P15 is under £400, it has a Titanium cylinder (the BSA, no doubt a Spanish steel  el cheapo), will match the CLX IMHO in any test, is Regged and weighs slightly less than a Haddocks bathing costume, 100 shot before any noticeable drop in power, is like a Meccano set to work on, if you ever buy a CLX Stu, I'm happy to meet you for a shoot off....100 shots, pellets straight from the tin, 40 yards, winner takes the opponents gun? 

SMK don't make the P-15, as you know, they are made by SPA or Snowpeak/Artemis, you know the one, the largest manufacturer of Air Rifles in the world with over a million units a year currently being made. Not sure about BSA sales, probably best to speak to their Spanish parent company. I really wouldn't concern yourself about an Artemis sullying your collection of BSA's, you would soon sell those old crocks once you had your hands on a decent Chinese built gun 😀.