Which Acme whistle?

Madyarra

It doesn’t make any difference in theory. Usually a choice between 210.5 and 211.5. Get more volume with the latter which is recommended for labs. I started with spaniels using the 210.5 and never changed when I moved to labs thirty years ago. The key is keep it simple and consistent. Don’t blow loud at the start then it is in your armoury if you need it when it matters.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/03/2021 at 19:28, Stonepark said:

212 is less common in the field and helps in syndicate shoots as saves dogs becoming confused.

Is it sharper / louder? 

I found the 211.5 sharper and bit louder than the 210.5, found the 211.5 carries better over distance hence it’s probable preference for labs over spaniels. 

The pips on a whistle should just be a beacon for your dog to locate you or a subtle signal to turn, sit or hunt up etc. Good handlers with well trained dogs barely seem to blow them as their dogs are alert and receptive to the information as a partnership. I was scaling Scafell Pike many years ago with two young dogs. They were just 50/60 yards ahead but I spotted a group of climbers coming up and a steep drop, I gave a pip to sit them. Carried on a picked them up at heel. One of the climbers asked ‘what make whistle is that, it’s brilliant’ - I said the whistle isn’t the important part it’s the years of training that matter! 

When working on a line of 8 dogs in a grouse count you can bet every handler has a 210.5, but it’s amazing the first time you take a pup. They are confused for a couple of minutes and then learn very quickly to differentiate the character of your whistle and block out all others. 

However, having said all that I have recently added a second whistle as my 11 year old HPR is mostly deaf and partly blind. He can get himself lost when working far from me. You can see him head up frantically looking. It’s an ACME Tornado and is deafening. It took some conditioning to use but now is in my armoury for long recalls against wind etc for him. 

Edited by WalkedUp

On 16/03/2021 at 01:50, Lloyd90 said:

Is it sharper / louder? 

I found the 211.5 sharper and bit louder than the 210.5, found the 211.5 carries better over distance hence it’s probable preference for labs over spaniels. 

212 carries further due to medium tone, you can now listen to all the whistles on the Acmewhistles.co.uk.

Edited by Stonepark

On 06/03/2021 at 19:28, Stonepark said:

212 is less common in the field and helps in syndicate shoots as saves dogs becoming confused.

I have never had my dogs react to anyone else’s whistle as they are all blown differently. Even out picking up with eight or more other handlers it has never been an issue.

I use 212, harder to blow and as said less common in the field.

Also keeps the same pitch tone no matter how hard or soft you blow it.

But a 210.5 or 211 5 us much easier to blow.

The 212 blown soft just sounds like an old whistle of a kettle.