Nurses 1% pay increase

old'un

Should nurses be treated any differently to other public or private workers, nurses have been offered a 1% pay increase but their unions are now calling for strike action.

With the country in a bit of a mess financially, should they get more?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downing Street Press Secretary Allegra Stratton is expected to lead the new daily briefings (Photo: Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

March 6, 2021 11:33 am

Downing Street has spent more than £2.6 million on a new media briefing room, at the same time as the Government has announced plans for a one per cent pay rise for NHS workers, prompting widespread anger.

Number 10 plans to hold White House-style daily press briefings, fronted by spokesperson Allegra Stratton.

The cost of the refurbishment was revealed as Mr Johnson faces pressure over the funding of a separation renovation to his official residence.

The i politics newsletter cut through the noise

They went above and beyond there job and deserve more 

nurses have given a lot during this Covid pandemic but there are also other workers that have also put their health/lives at risk, shop workers for one, especially the checkout staff, perhaps nurses should be paid a bit more but surly with the country up to its eyeballs in debt now is not the time to be holding the country to ransom with strike action.

18 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Whatever was offered we know the union would have demanded double.  I suspect most of us, and that includes pensioners but not union officials,  will take a big hit, but I don't see them screaming about that.

The unions are saying they were expecting 12.5%. 

Ive been busier than ever during this lockdown, hugely increased work, in and out of hospitals, people’s homes, child safeguarding and mental health in the middle of the night. 

We have been given a 5 year pay freeze in the Council. 

I’m not that worried I’m in a better position than most just happy to have a half decent paying job. 

I wouldn’t have minded having the last year sat at home on 80% pay for doing no work but oh well there you go. 

Our friend who’s a nurse is once again complaining. I’ve told her numerous times to leave but she won’t get paid anywhere near what she’s on anywhere else. 

All the band 6 nurses I know are kicking up a right stink also, but before this current job when I was in the hospital they didn’t do a lot to justify their £38k a year, trust me anything remotely complex they had to call me in from social services to sort it out for them. 

There’s no doubt that many NHS workers have stepped up and done a great job during all this, as have the Police, other services and councils. As well as loads of supply chain workers. 

But the idea that everyone in public services is having a freeze, but nurses should be given special treatment is a bit of a mick take. Apparently nurses are the only ones that kept going to work through lockdown. 

34 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Even at 1% it is still substantially more than anyone else, that is if they still have a job.

I'm inclined to agree.  The 12 1/2 % 'demanded' by the Unions is completely stupid.  With inflation very low, it was never going to be a big figure (the big figures are reserved for greedy MPs).   And the MPs awarding themselves a substantial increase and denying it to others does stick in the throat - but I have come to realise that MPs are pretty contemptible people.

My own view is that there will be some 'manoeuvring' and end up about 2 - 2 1/2%.

50 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

They also got plenty of perks like shopping priority in supermarkets and home delivery slots, 10% discount (at least from Morrison’s), free AA cover, etc, etc. They seem to have, conveniently, forgotten all of these things.

Plus job security, plenty of annual leave, good pension....and we all had to stay indoors to ease the pressure on them.

I’m embarrassed by the fuss being made. We are paid well these days for what we do. Due to 12hr shifts I get plenty of days off. I can’t change jobs because I’m paid far too well. I was once told that as paramedics we are over paid 98% of the time for the work we do, but for the other 2% we do is impossible to put a price on. 

I’m not sure many supermarket workers tended to seriously ill or dying COVID patients with almost no PPE. That comparison is baseless. 

How many of you “clapped for the NHS” and now begrudge those same nurses a reasonable wage?  Unbelievable. I do not know a single nurse that went into nursing for the high pay and easy career.

6 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I’m not sure many supermarket workers tended to seriously ill or dying COVID patients with almost no PPE. That comparison is baseless. 

How many of you “clapped for the NHS” and now begrudge those same nurses a reasonable wage?  Unbelievable. I do not know a single nurse that went into nursing for the high pay and easy career.

i’m glad someone is grateful those against it will be quick enough to accept treatment to save their life no doubt 

1 minute ago, Newbie to this said:

That might have something to do with it not being a part of their job as a supermarket worker

Your job when working in a supermarket is to stock shelves and serve customers. As I did to pay my way during education as I wasn’t born with a silver spoon. The exposure to COVID is minimal compared to nursing staff. 

1 minute ago, clangerman said:

i’m glad someone is grateful those against it will be quick enough to accept treatment to save their life no doubt 

My doctor friends pretty unanimously hated the “clap for the NHS”. They found it embarrassing and the excruciating hypocrisy of those often elderly, often needing care, often conservative voters clapping for them after supporting years of austerity was cringeworthy. Interestingly they are quite well paid so were not fussed over pay, but rather working practices and conditions.