Nurses 1% pay increase

old'un

2 minutes ago, clangerman said:

i’m glad someone is grateful those against it will be quick enough to accept treatment to save their life no doubt 

As a proportion of nhs employees exactly how many do you think are dealing directly with covid patients?

They will all want the same pay rise. It makes me laugh when its all about "the nurses" in the news media.

At a time when the millions have lost their jobs or are in fear of losing them, NHS staff should quit whining about the size of their pay rise or there will be a real public opinion backlash against them...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I’m not sure many supermarket workers tended to seriously ill or dying COVID patients with almost no PPE. That comparison is baseless. 

How many of you “clapped for the NHS” and now begrudge those same nurses a reasonable wage?  Unbelievable. I do not know a single nurse that went into nursing for the high pay and easy career.

in some super markets the checkout staff did not get any protection for weeks, so its not baseless comparison, I know because my wife works in one, one of her friends who works on the checkouts came down with covid, she believes she got it from a customer that latter proved positive for covid, you don't need to tend someone dyeing to catch covid.

1 minute ago, old'un said:

you don't need to tend someone dyeing to catch covid.

I appreciate that but the exposure, risk and impact are completely different. The nurses on my mum’s COVID ward were watching dozens of otherwise healthy people die each week. 

I hope your wife’s friend has recovered. 

No. They are paid to do a job; just like anyone else. They are worth every penny they get, and possibly deserve more than 1%, but the unions were never going to be happy no matter what was offered. 
Much will be made of this by all those who resent the tories and their policies, but no one goes into nursing for the money, just as no one enlists into the armed forces for the money. They take the good times and the bad times, the rough and the smooth. 

13 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I appreciate that but the exposure, risk and impact are completely different. The nurses on my mum’s COVID ward were watching dozens of otherwise healthy people die each week. 

I hope your wife’s friend has recovered. 

yes she as recovered thank you.

In the super market my wife works in they had to recruit temporary staff because of lay-offs due to due to depression and staff self isolating, most of the staff hated going on the tills due to the amount of people entering the store and checkout without a mask (that's changed now thankfully) in some of the bigger stores they could get hundreds of people passing within a couple of feet, anyone of them could have been infected with covid.

Now while i have every sympathy with nurses doctors etc ,lets  just remember that they knew full well what they were signing up for when they started in the health profession . Surely they knew that they would be dealing with all manner of illnesses and diseases some of which  are a sight more dangerous and contagious then covid.

For instance if i ring the doctors for an appointment he will have little if any idea of whats wrong with me until he has examined me and asked a few questions  could be a simple illness or something more sinister that's easily transmitted and deadly , so why the big deal about covid and "were putting ourselves at risk for you " . 

So yes they deserve a rise but lets stop with the bleeding heart and self sacrifice stuff .

Tin hat ready .

9 minutes ago, Jega said:

Now while i have every sympathy with nurses doctors etc ,lets  just remember that they knew full well what they were signing up for when they started in the health profession . Surely they knew that they would be dealing with all manner of illnesses and diseases some of which  are a sight more dangerous and contagious then covid.

For instance if i ring the doctors for an appointment he will have little if any idea of whats wrong with me until he has examined me and asked a few questions  could be a simple illness or something more sinister that's easily transmitted and deadly , so why the big deal about covid and "were putting ourselves at risk for you " . 

So yes they deserve a rise but lets stop with the bleeding heart and self sacrifice stuff .

Tin hat ready .

Fully agree, it's like joining the Army and then whinging when sent to war.

11 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Fully agree, it's like joining the Army and then whinging when sent to war.

Yep, also agree and said all along with the whole clapping thing and thank you nhs signs.

People should always have been grateful for the nhs, before covid. Look at America, I’d hate that system. 

However, when was the last time nhs below doctors had an appropriate pay rise? And where would we prefer the money went, councillors, mp’s, that ‘press briefing room’ mentioned above?

They paid far too much in furlough. £2500 some people getting!? Who tf needs £2500 a month to sit at home, unbelievable.

Target inflation rate is 2%, if that is achieved the 1% “pay increase” would be a reduction in real world wages. Weasely actions.

The government needs to have a cojones to say “We believe nurses are overpaid for what they do, there will always be altruistic people (typically women) who want to care for the dying and sick, regardless of pay. The freemarket economy dictates that we need to pay less not more.” 

4 minutes ago, southeastpete said:

However, when was the last time nhs below doctors had an appropriate pay rise?

2018, between 6.5% and 29% depending on the job, with the lowest paid receiving the higher percentages.

6 minutes ago, southeastpete said:

And where would we prefer the money went, councillors, mp’s, that ‘press briefing room’ mentioned above?

Clearing the skyrocketing national debt.

7 minutes ago, southeastpete said:

They paid far too much in furlough. £2500 some people getting!? Who tf needs £2500 a month to sit at home, unbelievable.

Agreed.

11 minutes ago, southeastpete said:

Yep, also agree and said all along with the whole clapping thing and thank you nhs signs.

People should always have been grateful for the nhs, before covid. Look at America, I’d hate that system. 

However, when was the last time nhs below doctors had an appropriate pay rise? And where would we prefer the money went, councillors, mp’s, that ‘press briefing room’ mentioned above?

I'd have loved 2.5 k a month to sit at home 😊.

The furlough scheme was a brilliant idea , it just went a bit too far in my opinion . I wouldn't know if that's because it was thrown together in a rush , or , if it was to make sure that people did stay at home ,  and slow the spread of covid.

I felt sorry for my lad , he was still working three days a week( something to do with ventilator parts) so was only earning 60% wages , while the rest of the country were doing nothing and earning 80%. Having said that , he's now working 12 hour days , 7 days a week , and doing very nicely  , whilst some of the competition (that furloughrd staff )have shut the doors for good .

On the subject of nurses , the ones that I know personally (mainly family members ) earn a very good living in the nhs , and whilst nobody likes a pay freeze , I think that they would have accepted it at the moment. 

I have a mate that works for the nhs( he's also a pw member ). He was rather scathing of the whole preferential treatment for nhs staff thing . He said that the front line staff ,nurses etc, we're happy to stand in queues at supermarkets with everyone else , but lazy managers and hangers on , we're the first to push to the front of the shopping queue and wave their nhs badge. 

20 minutes ago, southeastpete said:

They paid far too much in furlough. £2500 some people getting!? Who tf needs £2500 a month to sit at home, unbelievable

Mortgage, gas elec, water. Food, kids... Just because people didn't get on a bus or train, drive to work, doesn't mean they had no outgoings. 

Ive worked through the whole year, no sitting down doing nothing for money, but my bills have actually gone up.. Two laptops running 8 hours a day, heating on when cold in house, filling the kettle when normally it would be the office doing all this for me. 

Furlough had to happen. 

2 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Mortgage, gas elec, water. Food, kids... Just because people didn't get on a bus or train, drive to work, doesn't mean they had no outgoings.

This is very relevant; if you have used your salary and have mortgage, contract hire vehicles, loan repayments, HP, relatively expensive utility bills, they don't go away.  I have always thought relatively well paid people are silly to live at 100% of their income - and should be putting a bit by for a rainy day - but many many don't - and live to the maximum and a bit more.

If you stop it - you not only hurt the overstretched individuals, but also the lenders/creditors - who are likely in turn partially owned by the pension funds etc.

(I speak as someone who has had no state assistance, furlough etc. and have supported myself on reduced income via being a bit more frugal and an occasional dip into savings)

As far as I'm concerned they chose their profession and all that goes with it. Whining moaning and going on about it. It's simples find another job. There lucky to be getting anything.

Can you imagine a soldier moaning they're shooting at us, it's not on or a bouncer moaning about drunks getting rowdy. 

Can you tell I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing about the NHS. I'm not the oy one.

I don't see why Nurses feel they should be an exception. They have been under an increased risk since Covid, but once it is under control and the risk diminishes, will they accept a pay cut? I think not.

The NHS has enjoyed increased public support, with the clapping every Thursday etc., but they complained when they didn't get their little badges. Many deserve more than they are paid, but some are overpaid, which is the case in most occupations.

There are many risky occupations, but they don't try to claim more just because it got a bit riskier. Lifeboat crews risk genuine danger - for free.  

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

Ive worked through the whole year, no sitting down doing nothing for money, but my bills have actually gone up.. Two laptops running 8 hours a day, heating on when cold in house, filling the kettle when normally it would be the office doing all this for me. 

Furlough had to happen. 

Yea furlough had to happen, but the whole deal was you could put mortgage and other big loans on hold, or so I was under impression. So groceries and bills. Not £2500 a month. And if they were, then people should have cut back and gone without.

15 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I’m not sure many supermarket workers tended to seriously ill or dying COVID patients with almost no PPE. That comparison is baseless. 

How many of you “clapped for the NHS” and now begrudge those same nurses a reasonable wage?  Unbelievable. I do not know a single nurse that went into nursing for the high pay and easy career.

Well said

14 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I am glad that she’s recovered well.

I accept that it can’t have been an easy 12 months for supermarket workers, but feel the comparison really is not relevant to the nurses’ situation.

By that reasoning, some of the soldiers on front line duty who have been exposed to risk way beyond what should be expected due to the unstable and dangerous nature of war should be given millions, unfortunately it'll never happen and to an extent its part and parcel when you sign up for a job. Nurses may not have thought they'd have to deal with a pandemic in their life times but there are plenty of equally nasty and worse infectious diseases that are a risk when you take a job like that on. You don't hear the military complain very often, or many nurses either to be fair, it's the union just like the teachers union demanding jabs first. 

15 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

How much is a reasonable wage? 

£25-30k starting off as newly qualified (thats without the shift enhancements on extra pay for working Saturdays/ Sundays and any evening hour enhancements). 

A band 6, which is not hard to achieve (my mate got a band 6 job in less that 1 year of being newly qualified) is £31-38k... again not including the out of hours enhancements. 

What’s jobs for we compare it against? Police? Teachers? Social workers? Prison officers? 

Being appreciative of their hard work, and many have undoubtedly worked extremely hard over recent months, doesn’t make NHS workers deserving of some sort of hero worship and us suddenly deciding they should get a 12.5% pay rise whilst all the above workers get a 5 year pay freeze. 

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

How much is a reasonable wage? 

£25-30k starting off as newly qualified (thats without the shift enhancements on extra pay for working Saturdays/ Sundays and any evening hour enhancements). 

A band 6, which is not hard to achieve (my mate got a band 6 job in less that 1 year of being newly qualified) is £31-38k... again not including the out of hours enhancements. 

What’s jobs for we compare it against? Police? Teachers? Social workers? Prison officers? 

Being appreciative of their hard work, and many have undoubtedly worked extremely hard over recent months, doesn’t make NHS workers deserving of some sort of hero worship and us suddenly deciding they should get a 12.5% pay rise whilst all the above workers get a 5 year pay freeze. 

Plus they can massively increase that with overtime