Nurses 1% pay increase

old'un

13 minutes ago, henry d said:

Gonads.

MR and lifeboats do it because governments say, "OK, thanks for that..." As they don't have to pay up. FF's you forget 77 and 04 the former was due to many being on the breadline and having to work 2 jobs. Plod, no idea, forces is the only relevant argument yet it is apples and oranges argument, you can train for normal day to day scenarios but not for the apocalyptic. If the services had to deal with (for instance) Russian ships blockading us, air force backing up tanks rumbling across Europe, would you say thanks but that's your job?

Gonads to you too! 🙂

Mountain Rescue and lifeboats do it because they want to. One of our beaters is 71, and he still does it, including flotation exercises in the Lune! At 71! 😀 
Yes, you join up of your own free will. No one is forcing anyone to become a nurse, doctor, soldier, sailor, tinker, tailor, rescue service personnel whether paid or unpaid; totally choices made by the individual. 

40 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

You're correct. He didn't. I think it was just another convenient passing bandwagon he climbed on to. In the cynical belief, no doubt, that it would increase his "good old Boris" likeability with us plebs. Standing on the steps with his current woman. And now she's demanding how much to decorate? £200,000 by some estimates. From "Tory party donors" the press reports. 

So your point is? 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 07/03/2021 at 08:38, WalkedUp said:

Target inflation rate is 2%, if that is achieved the 1% “pay increase” would be a reduction in real world wages. Weasely actions.

The government needs to have a cojones to say “We believe nurses are overpaid for what they do, there will always be altruistic people (typically women) who want to care for the dying and sick, regardless of pay. The freemarket economy dictates that we need to pay less not more.” 

Well I'm getting 0%, and have been at work every day. As part of that treating seriously injured trauma patients, taking pressure off the NHS and having temporary 10% pay cut.

It’s not necessarily helpful to compare gains between professions. The other half got 10% last April and is expecting about the same this year, but she works in a shortage field where good candidates are hard to come by so pay is rising. I got about 3.5% on a deal set pre covid but am in a field of generally falling wages.

Ultimately the market sets the rates, and although there is a shortage of nurses I understand it is cheaper and more efficient to get more hours out of the ones we do have by paying less for a standard week and pushing them to pick up extra hours to top up. What happens if a 12.5% raise then means people don’t have to work an extra few shifts a month to make ends meet?

On 07/03/2021 at 10:52, Lloyd90 said:

What about all the other public service workers who have gone above and beyond during all this? 

Agreed, the military has been working extremely hard behind the scenes. We have got 0%, for the last 10 years we have got 1%, without complaint. The AFPRB ( total wasted of time ) was told, IMO, what funds were available the produced a report recommending 1% year on year. What really boils my blood was to hear the chancellor stating that the finances were in a good position prior to COVID-19, if that was the case why did we get 1% ( along with other public sectors, other than MP’s) for 10 years. 

12 hours ago, Wb123 said:

Ultimately the market sets the rates, and although there is a shortage of nurses I understand it is cheaper and more efficient to get more hours out of the ones we do have by paying less for a standard week and pushing them to pick up extra hours to top up.

What happens if a 12.5% raise then means people don’t have to work an extra few shifts a month to make ends meet?

Pushing them to pick up extra? 
Most nurses do their extra overtime that they CHOOSE to do (no one can force them) at different hospitals and trusts from where they usually work so they get a much higher rate of pay. 

Every time I go into hospitals here (and it’s several times a week) they don’t have the usual staff doing overtime, they have agency staff. The usual staff have gone to do their chosen overtime out of area, just a short drive in the car. 

And suggesting nurses need 12.5% increase just to make ends meet? 
It’s a job you’ll be making £30,000 with the enhancements pretty much straight out of uni. 

Whilst your never going to be a millionaire on that sort of money are you really suggesting that’s a poor wage for a single person? 

As I said opportunity to be on £35-38k plus enhancements fairly easily by moving up to band 6 (once again my friend did it in less than a year after being newly qualified, and I know several others who did the same).