Recommend me a corvid call

Agriv8

I have the Primos one mentioned above.  At first it was great, not terribly realistic sounding but you could shape its sound and it certainly worked.  However it has gone a bit funny lately, sounds like a strangled duck sometimes - I can only guess there's something wrong with the reed.  I can temporarily fix it by blowing hard the wrong way through it, then puling back the rubber sleeve a bit before it slips back to sounding like Daffy's death throes.

I got myself a CMS "Nasty Crow" a couple of months ago.  It's not a beginner-level call, you really have to work at your technique to get a decent shape of sound out of it.  I'll be honest, I haven't had the time to properly master it but it seems to me you need to use two hands to really work it properly which is obviously somewhat of a handicap if you've got to hold your gun as well.

I've watched Charlie Sandin's YouTube videos and have tried to emulate his technique.  I don't fully understand the "rolling R" sort of thing you have to make in your throat, I just end up coughing a lot.

Will report back if I arrive at a Eureka moment!

I got the primos one there are some instructions  on the back ( that seemed to have got lost already) if you remove the rubber sleeve you the push the Reed and holder and the 2 halves separate and clean .

at the moment I am struggling to sound anything other than a constipated duck

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2021 at 22:39, Agriv8 said:

I got the primos one there are some instructions  on the back ( that seemed to have got lost already) if you remove the rubber sleeve you the push the Reed and holder and the 2 halves separate and clean .

at the moment I am struggling to sound anything other than a constipated duck

You have to 'growl or grrrr' when blowing the caller. Biting hard on the rubber creates a higher pitch and is excellent for calling in Jackdaws. Don't give up, it really is a good caller.