Which glue do I need

ilovemyheckler

Last time I attached pheasant wings to a dummy I used elastic bands, they worked fine.  If you have a scout around on the pavement there's tons of them dropped by posties which are very good bands.  You just have to make sure you get fresh ones because if they've been there a couple of days the UV degrades them and they snap ;)

21 hours ago, ilovemyheckler said:

I remembered I have a glue gun in garage

I forgot one of my spaniels was in the kitchen and when I came back she had taken the pheasant upstairs and destroyed it leaving a mess all over the house!

Now need to try and find somewhere that has pheasant skins in stock

Look up fly tying suppliers, might not be the perfect pheasant smell but you will be able to get something pretty cheap that's already preserved and should last a while.

Any dark reddish cape and a couple of tail feathers chucked on for good measure will do the trick.

1 hour ago, snow white said:

Duck tape would mask the feathers to start you want to get dog find dummy it’s smell they work on so duck tape would hide smell once you got it to pick up you can cut the sides out of sock or tight to pull wing though 

I only put duct tape around each end and leave feathers exposed in the middle. The idea is to get dogs used to the feel of feathers in their mouths, not used to the smell of pheasants.

I think it all depends on the willingness of the dog to pick up a real bird.  Some will just grab it first time, no questions asked whereas others will take a bit of help and encouragement to get their gob around it!

I think the bird inside the tights is a good way to start them off in terms of linking scent to retrieve without the potential off-putting factor of a feathery mouth.  After that, you'll find out whether the dog gives two poops or not about feathers in its chops and then you take steps accordingly.

I'm lucky I've never had to worry about it with any of mine, the wings on the dummy were just to give a bit of realism and a slight scent on blind retrieves (although the scent issue is a topic of debate on its own).

I made a load of dummies out of old socks!  Stuffed them with plucked feathers and a few other old socks/rags etc then attached the wings.  I used to go out on my own prior to a training session with 6 or 8 of them, fling them out, then go get the dog.  Quite often by the time it got to retrieving the dummies I'd forgotten where half of them were but the dogs made sure we never lost one 😊