Pigeon shooting

Hi guys, now not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it goes. I have just joined a club that gives me access to 1500+ acres of arable farmland. I have been pigeon shooting a few times but it has always been under someone else in that they set everything up and you come and shoot. Now that i have access to this land i was wondering whether there are any experienced pigeon shooters that will be willing to come out with myself to teach me the ropes. I know the club does charge a daily fee for guests but it isn't too much. I mean I am more than happy going through everything on the forum and going out on my own and learning the ropes via trail and error but i always say that one can never underestimate experience. So if anyone is up for it drop me a pm and we can talk further. Oh and preferably should be based around Kent/Essex.

Best regards 

I have seen these type of requests before and the uptake was very poor, but I hope I am proven wrong and you get someone to show you the ropes.

its not that easy to arrange a meet on a given day and hope some pigeons turn up, when I have taken people out I like to find a field worth shooting on the day and tell them they could get a phone call to meet me at the gate within the hour, nothing worse than inviting someone a day or two before, only to stand on an empty field all day without shooting anything, although they could show you how to put the hide up and where to put your decoys but you more than likely already know that bit, the hard bit is finding the pigeons. :yes:

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

the hard bit is finding the pigeons. :yes:

Or finding 300 plus like I did today on rape, only to spend a few hours chasing them around the field, with no fixed flight line.
Ended the day with just two, that just were unlucky, but nice to be out.

Hope you find somebody to show you the ropes, but nothing is certain pigeon shooting and every day a school day.

With the op being a club member wouldn't it be better if he tried to find a club member who have been pigeon shooting for a number of years , there wouldn't be any extra fees to pay and you could share traveling expenses while learning the ropes at the same time .

Also is the acreage in one block or a number of small and medium size farms ? , if in one block you could help each other out by keeping an eye on certain fields when you know what crops are going in and when would be the best time to shoot fields .

As old'un saying , the hardest part of pigeon shooting is often finding the pigeons to shoot in the first place , once you find them you can put plan A into play , or plan B ,...... C , and so on .

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

With the op being a club member wouldn't it be better if he tried to find a club member who have been pigeon shooting for a number of years , there wouldn't be any extra fees to pay and you could share traveling expenses while learning the ropes at the same time .

Also is the acreage in one block or a number of small and medium size farms ? , if in one block you could help each other out by keeping an eye on certain fields when you know what crops are going in and when would be the best time to shoot fields .

As old'un saying , the hardest part of pigeon shooting is often finding the pigeons to shoot in the first place , once you find them you can put plan A into play , or plan B ,...... C , and so on .

:good:

Appreciate the replies gents, and i agree with all the above but hopefully some with experience in pigeon shooting already knows that we do our bit and whether the pigeons turn up or not is a different story! With what @marsh man has said, that would be idea but the club hasnt got anything in place as of yet so members can contact each other but they said they are looking into it. I know unless people have perms pigeon shooting can be very expensive so thought i would put it out there to see if anyone is interested. Im more than happy to read through everything and learn what i can by trial and error! :) 

On 07/03/2021 at 21:51, MWildfowler said:

Appreciate the replies gents, and i agree with all the above but hopefully some with experience in pigeon shooting already knows that we do our bit and whether the pigeons turn up or not is a different story! With what @marsh man has said, that would be idea but the club hasnt got anything in place as of yet so members can contact each other but they said they are looking into it. I know unless people have perms pigeon shooting can be very expensive so thought i would put it out there to see if anyone is interested. Im more than happy to read through everything and learn what i can by trial and error!  

looks like you may have to, or have you found someone?

• 2 weeks later...