Purchasing an item sold privately

400_racer

Hi all, i cant see any related threads so thought i'd ask here.  Just like to get your thoughts on the best way to purchase an item sold privately not via ebay etc and the best method of payment to protect oneself, although i think it may be limited.  

So ive agreed a price on a nice exhaust system for the motorbike, seller is in Holland, advertised through a facebook group for this particular bike.  Sale seems legit, plenty of correspondence, photos of the exhausts, including them being packaged/boxed.  Am as confident as you can be it is legit.  

How would you go about paying though?!    They're not cheap, so just wanna make sure im protecting myself as best i can.

Is it best through paypal, using credit card etc.  I and he suggested paypall friends and family, but understand this removes buyer protection.  Does section 75 credit card purchases cover private, non-trader sales?   

How would you do it?  

Thanks

I would rely on due diligence. Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge if you want protection in these circumstances you may struggle to find it without paying for it. Paypal and cover the fees at your end would seem to be the best bet that I am aware of.

5 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

Millions of things bought and sold every day.

PP will protect you if you pay the fees as will CC. 

Whichever is easier for you. Just don't do PP friends and family and don't do a bank transfer.

I'm sure it will work out easily enough.

Edd

Spot on .

20 hours ago, London Best said:

Get in the car and go and see what you are buying. I know it’s in Holland, but do you want it or not?

Excellent idea !
Wait around 3 months till you are allowed to travel, then around £150 on a ferry, another £50-100 on fuel, possibly overnight stay, so 2 days of your time ?

All to avoid £20 worth of shipping and some paypal fees :lol:

Just now, Rewulf said:

Excellent idea !
Wait around 3 months till you are allowed to travel, then around £150 on a ferry, another £50-100 on fuel, possibly overnight stay, so 2 days of your time ?

All to avoid £20 worth of shipping and some paypal fees 

Stop being so damned sensible!:w00t:

On 08/03/2021 at 15:20, 400_racer said:

How would you go about paying though?! 

I think Pay Pal is the only protected one (unless they take CC, but unlikely in a private sale), I have used it for purchases from Spain before, had substandard goods and Pay Pay gave me a full refund (after evidence to and fro).

On an added note, due to Brexit, you may find that customs hold your item until you pay a tariff.  This can be anything, even more than 100% the sale price,

Yours,

RS

Thanks for the responses all, much appreciated.  CC via paypall, not using Friends and Family looked like the best option.  However, i decided to step away as hadnt accounted for import fees at all, didnt even cross my mind.  Although i couldnt find the exact rates due (likely VAT, duty and handling charges) they'd put the price well over what i was willing to pay, shame as they dont come up often.  I probably could have driven over there for the same price 😂