Map and log your pigeon shooting activities

1 hour ago, miki said:

BASC do it again, demonstrating how 'in touch' they really are. 🤠

The PW massive do it again, spouting off on a topic and generally putting the boot in, without bothering to actually read how BASC proposes to use the data it collects.

Some of you even appear to think it will be available for all to view...

True, the OP could have/should have addressed privacy concerns in his post.

If you lot don't trust SSL then that's fair enough.  But I suggest you stop buying things from Amazon, Ebay etc.  I've seen people on here seriously advocating emailing their firearms team details of their new gun.  Seemingly blissfully unaware that emails are transmitted in plain text, completely unencrypted (by default at least).

Look the reality is, it's no longer enough to say we, as a community, are doing conservation.  We need to be able to back it up with data.  Somehow, our organisations have to collect data.  Nobody is suggesting you plonk your prime hide locations online for all to see, ***.

How do you lot in the peanut gallery map your shoots?  Or do you all rely on memory?

I draw my few perms in magic map and create PDFs for reference, very useful tool, but a bit overkill, and quite flaky.  Google maps doesn't have layers or SSIs....  OS Maps wants many pound for a subscription, and doesn't have SSIs and the like AFAIK.  Will take a look at the BASC offering later.

I have all my perms on an OS map, outlined in red. That’s all I need. Why on earth would I want to inform BASC or anyone else of that? 
Do you seriously believe those who oppose us believe we do conservation work? Do you seriously believe those who are indifferent to what we do, give a monkeys chuff? 
We all know why we shoot....don’t we? 

Edited by Scully

16 minutes ago, Scully said:

I have all my perms on an OS map, outlined in red. That’s all I need. Why on earth would I want to inform BASC or anyone else of that? 

I find an OS Map bulky and unwieldy personally, but chacun a son gout.  I prefer an A5 sized printout, laminated, which I can use to show my shooting buddy the plan of attack, without the danger of mixups or ambiguous directions

I'm going to let BASC respond last part.

17 minutes ago, Scully said:

Do you seriously believe those who oppose us believe we do conservation work?

Data, and its use will negate the need for believing.  Obviously, you'll never convince those opposed to our activities on principle, or snakes like Packham.  But there is a real drive for evidence-based policy making - look how enthralled the government is to the modelling in SAGE - we must have some numbers to back up our claims.

Funny how people are quite happy to post their big pigeon numbers on here, and approximate locations, for all to see, but won't log sightings of (insert rare species here) on a restricted area of a website to aid their organisation building up a bigger picture.

2 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I find an OS Map bulky and unwieldy personally, but chacun a son gout.  I prefer an A5 sized printout, laminated, which I can use to show my shooting buddy the plan of attack, without the danger of mixups or ambiguous directions

I'm going to let BASC respond last part.

Data, and its use will negate the need for believing.  Obviously, you'll never convince those opposed to our activities on principle, or snakes like Packham.  But there is a real drive for evidence-based policy making - look how enthralled the government is to the modelling in SAGE - we must have some numbers to back up our claims.

Funny how people are quite happy to post their big pigeon numbers on here, and approximate locations, for all to see, but won't log sightings of (insert rare species here) on a restricted area of a website to aid their organisation building up a bigger picture.

Mine are all A4, laminated and in a folder for if and when I need to show them to anyone. 🙂
I can’t speak for other folk, but BASC aren’t my organisation anymore, and haven’t been for some time.

in a perfect world this might be just innocent information gathering. In our imperfect world look out for wallet wielding ex driven game shooters approaching your farmers for pigeon shooting. It has happened on and off in the deer world where ex policemen have abused information privilege as well as comittee members of deer societies.

As BASC have chosen to ignore scientific evidence regarding lead shot from New Zealand - here is the link again for you Conor https://fishandgame.org.nz/game-bird-hunting-in-new-zealand/hunting-regulations/non-toxic-shot-regulations/ - how can BASC expect us to believe they are going to use the data correctly?

I am out - ex BASC, ngo and gwct due to their not limiting their call for a lead ban to meat going in to the public food chain and throwing .410 users under a bus.

BASC’s Green Shoots mapping project has been running for many years and the reason for the OP was to highlight the project and some new features that have been added. 

There are some comments on security and the details around this can be read on the site’s terms and conditions.

In summary:

• It is a rigorously designed and tested site to keep information secure and has done so for many years. 
  • We are more than compliant with our legal duties under the General Data Projection Regulations to keep information safe.
  • Information is not subject to Freedom of Information requests because BASC is not a public body.
  • As standard, no-one can see your shooting areas, bag data etc apart from you. 
  • The one scenario when others can see shooting areas is when a BASC club choose to use it to manage their shooting areas and bag returns. This is set up by the club committee and only their club members can see club shooting areas.
  • If people allow us to share biological records (and the vast majority do) they do so knowing none of their personal data goes with it but that it helps demonstrate the sustainability of shooting.

For anyone interested in learning more about the project the best place to start is watching the following countryside workshop that aired yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=1041935706329986

On 09/03/2021 at 17:38, 243deer said:

in a perfect world this might be just innocent information gathering. In our imperfect world look out for wallet wielding ex driven game shooters approaching your farmers for pigeon shooting. It has happened on and off in the deer world where ex policemen have abused information privilege as well as comittee members of deer societies.

As BASC have chosen to ignore scientific evidence regarding lead shot from New Zealand - here is the link again for you Conor https://fishandgame.org.nz/game-bird-hunting-in-new-zealand/hunting-regulations/non-toxic-shot-regulations/ - how can BASC expect us to believe they are going to use the data correctly?

I am out - ex BASC, ngo and gwct due to their not limiting their call for a lead ban to meat going in to the public food chain and throwing .410 users under a bus.

Funny you should mention the policeman thing we had one the other day turn up at a perm and getting shirty because we got there first and threatening to check up on us. There was plenty of room so no need to get narky but there go 

On 08/03/2021 at 21:12, Conor O'Gorman said:

BASC's Green Shoots mapping and bag recording website provides both an excellent online mapping, wildlife recording and shooting diary and a simple way to enable members to assist us to protect and promote shooting and conservation. A number of new features have been added and of specific use to pigeon shooters is the inclusion of National Grid references to allow exact recording of events.

For more information see:

https://basc.org.uk/conservation/green-shoots-mapping/

For a presentation on the software and latest features see:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=1041935706329986

Being a bit sceptical, what level of encryption ensures absolute data security?

What possible reason would make anyone want to disclose such information anyway?

On 09/03/2021 at 12:20, udderlyoffroad said:

The PW massive do it again, spouting off on a topic and generally putting the boot in, without bothering to actually read how BASC proposes to use the data it collects.

Some of you even appear to think it will be available for all to view...

True, the OP could have/should have addressed privacy concerns in his post.

If you lot don't trust SSL then that's fair enough.  But I suggest you stop buying things from Amazon, Ebay etc.  I've seen people on here seriously advocating emailing their firearms team details of their new gun.  Seemingly blissfully unaware that emails are transmitted in plain text, completely unencrypted (by default at least).

Look the reality is, it's no longer enough to say we, as a community, are doing conservation.  We need to be able to back it up with data.  Somehow, our organisations have to collect data.  Nobody is suggesting you plonk your prime hide locations online for all to see, ***.

How do you lot in the peanut gallery map your shoots?  Or do you all rely on memory?

I draw my few perms in magic map and create PDFs for reference, very useful tool, but a bit overkill, and quite flaky.  Google maps doesn't have layers or SSIs....  OS Maps wants many pound for a subscription, and doesn't have SSIs and the like AFAIK.  Will take a look at the BASC offering later.

Please carry on.

20 minutes ago, old man said:

Being a bit sceptical, what level of encryption ensures absolute data security?

What possible reason would make anyone want to disclose such information anyway?

Please carry on.

You’re not being sceptical more like realistic 👍

what if the organisation accidentally employed a anti that accidentally made the information public 🤭

just a thought 🤔