Cylinder and 1/2 choke

Hello, sorry to disagree but those open chokes are more for shooting on a clay skeet range, once you get past 20/30 yards the pattern will open right out with to small a shot, a few people I knew back in the 1980s had a 2 barrel set O/U one for skeet one for sporting, although I would stand correcting on the above, it would be interesting if a PW member did a video on 7.5 cartridges and different chokes, 

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

28g 7’s through those chokes should chop them down. 

Gamebore Blue Diamond 28g 7 1/2 (U.K. size 7) are a decent price. 

Will also chop down game at reasonable range. 

Not too sure about the terminology, but the cartridge choice is good. Or you could also try their Super Game high Bird which for me is more SbS-ish.

Some choke in one barrel is advantageous. A nominal 1/2 may throw 1/4 in practice - no problem, but the same sort of thing also applies to TC which can be. Most barrels which throw TC will have a couple of thou'. Those which are a true TC could throw 35% or less so it may be worth a quick check on that one barrel.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, sorry to disagree but those open chokes are more for shooting on a clay skeet range, once you get past 20/30 yards the pattern will open right out with to small a shot, a few people I knew back in the 1980s had a 2 barrel set O/U one for skeet one for sporting, although I would stand correcting on the above, it would be interesting if a PW member did a video on 7.5 cartridges and different chokes, 

yup do disagree with your view...........i have always used 26" barrells with Imperial cylinder and 1/4..........and have had no issues shooting at range with the 1/4 choke and 7's

40-45 yds is its limit tho.........beyond that for regular kills a tighter choke may be needed , i will grant you

56 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Not too sure about the terminology, but the cartridge choice is good. Or you could also try their Super Game high Bird which for me is more SbS-ish.

Some choke in one barrel is advantageous. A nominal 1/2 may throw 1/4 in practice - no problem, but the same sort of thing also applies to TC which can be. Most barrels which throw TC will have a couple of thou'. Those which are a true TC could throw 35% or less so it may be worth a quick check on that one barrel.

That's the cart I would use use given the chokes. Gamebore Super Game High Bird. 28g No7 felt wad. Will drop pigeons over deeks all day long.    

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

yup do disagree with your view...........i have always used 26" barrells with Imperial cylinder and 1/4..........and have had no issues shooting at range with the 1/4 choke and 7's

40-45 yds is its limit tho.........beyond that for regular kills a tighter choke may be needed , i will grant you

Hello, ok , well next time  I will try those chokes in my O/U and some 7.5s , or the 7.5s that are English 7s 

15 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, ok , well next time  I will try those chokes in my O/U and some 7.5s , or the 7.5s that are English 7s 

bear in mind it will make a bit of difference wether you use plasi-wad or fibre...........

46 minutes ago, ditchman said:

bear in mind it will make a bit of difference wether you use plasi-wad or fibre...........

Hello, ah will look at that Simon , I have both but I think the 7.5s English 7s are fibre, saying this there has been very little pigeon activity on rape, hoping that the new drillings might be better, must be many months since I had the decoys out, and with this lockdown you cannot go far from your area, have a chance on drillings but 10/12 miles away and TVP said to far 🤔🙄

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

2 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

That's the cart I would use use given the chokes. Gamebore Super Game High Bird. 28g No7 felt wad. Will drop pigeons over deeks all day long.    

Are these only 65 cham as my aya is 70mm

1 hour ago, cluais said:

Will plastic give tighter pattern 

it is said that plasi-wad will tighten the pattern by a quarter...........i was also told by Evans (london) that the best pattern (most even) is produced with fibre wad and true cylinder......

having said all that ...shoot what you are comfortable with..........one ex professional pigeonshooter in the Anglia region used a 30".sxs... full choke in both barrells for his weapon of choice...and he didnt take any prisoners either

see London Best post......................"bag filler"

5 hours ago, London Best said:

I’m with Ditchy on this one. Experience with true cyl and imp cyl chokes over the last half century has taught me that they are by far the biggest bag fillers for all sorts of normal shooting, and are especially suitable for decoyed pigeon.

This. Best shot on game (and with a side by side) on clays I ever knew shot a 12 bore 28" barrel Purdey bore CYL and IMP. He used Hull 1 ounce paper case English #7. Both my "go to" 12 bore 2 1/2" chambered game guns...my late father's Henry Clarke 30" barrel BLE and my own 28" barrel Boss are bore IMP and IMP. On pheasants I use 1 1/16 ounce English #6 but on pigeon I use 1 ounce English #7. 

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

This. Best shot on game (and with a side by side) on clays I ever knew shot a 12 bore 28" barrel Purdey bore CYL and IMP. He used Hull 1 ounce paper case English #7. Both my "go to" 12 bore 2 1/2" chambered game guns...my late father's Henry Clarke 30" barrel BLE and my own 28" barrel Boss are bore IMP and IMP. On pheasants I use 1 1/16 ounce English #6 but on pigeon I use 1 ounce English #7. 

Out of my 8 shotguns (6 British, 2 Spanish) the tightest barrel carries .015 thou of choke. All the others are less than .010 thou. Most are between zero and .004 thou choke. In the 12 bores I mostly use 1 ounce of English No.7 for partridge/pheasants/pigeon/crows, but late season if the quarry is to be pheasants only I will take 1 ounce English No.6 if I have any. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/03/2021 at 10:38, wymberley said:

What is the difference please between the Blue Diamond 28g 7.5 (U.K. size 7), and the GB super game high bird 28g 7 please? 

The super game ones are a few quid more. I see they are a 65mm case and pitched as a SxS cartridge but I was looking at both last night and wondering if there’s much difference? 🤷‍♂️

40 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

What is the difference please between the Blue Diamond 28g 7.5 (U.K. size 7), and the GB super game high bird 28g 7 please? 

The super game ones are a few quid more. I see they are a 65mm case and pitched as a SxS cartridge but I was looking at both last night and wondering if there’s much difference? 🤷‍♂️

Just the name and price…..if I gave you a box of 28g 7s costing £180 per thousand and a box of 28g 7s costing £300 per thousand I doubt you tell much difference in there killing ability.

Its all bull poo.