Greenfinch

twenty

Found a dead female greenfinch on the birdtable this morning, signs of trichomonosis (uneaten food around bill).

Also found a dead Goldfinch under the feeders about three weeks ago, looked like the same cause of death.

A pair of Black Redstarts on Gloucester Cathedral at the moment, if anyone is local and interested.

All the best.

We have this awful disease affecting finches around East Anglia.

Pops up sporadically and we have to remove the feeders when we see it to help reduce the spread.

Have seen Goldfinch’s, Greenfinch’s and Chaffinch’s with it at different times over the years here.

Saw a little Redpoll recently that was behaving unusually but I’m not certain it had this particular disease.

Have also seen a few chaffinch’s with thick, scaly legs about as well.

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I understand that there has been a widespread disease effecting finch in the UK. Would this be a case.  One of the reasons I was given for the drastic drop in Greenfinches.

Yeah definitely a case of tricho,.......such a shame, as we have not seen many Greenfinch in the garden this winter, and only the occasional Chaffinch.

Plenty of Goldfinch though..........not unusual to have 6-10 on the feeders at any one time,

All the best.

14 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

We have plenty of Goldfinch, a few Greenfinch and a couple of pairs of Chaffinch. Now we have a pair of Bullfinch coming every day. The hen bullfinch really is top of the pecking order.

That's nice getting a pair of Bullfinch visiting,..............had a pair of Herring Gull gorging on the scraps on the bird table yesterday.......one had a leg ring.

Also a pair of Ravens already feeding their nestlings locally, female was sitting on eggs early February.

See regular outbreaks of canker in wood pigeons, collard doves, house sparrows and green finches, we get large flocks of gold finches but they do not seem to have been effected badly, bull finches are well down in numbers with just the odd pair on the feeders, the same for green finches.

There was an article about large numbers of wood pigeons dying from canker in Ireland.

If you wish you can report any bird deaths to the BTO...https://www.bto.org/our-science/projects/gbw/gardens-wildlife/garden-birds/disease/trichomonosis

11 minutes ago, JerryT said:

I too found a chaffinch dead on the patio this afternoon. Looked in very good condition with no signs of disease, just wondered if it might have flown into the patio window.

Probably a window accident, but if you can open its beak, and see a yeast like deposit in the mouth/throat area, it would be trichomonosis,

All the best

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, there's been quite a few yellowhammers on the farm recently, they like the hedgerow near the grain store, I chuck out some wheat for the small birds through the winter, 

Lovely to see yellowhammers isn't it,......Linnets as well........A House Martin spotted over the Forest of Dean (Littledean), yesterday.

All the best.

I know it's the geographical location of this County but we have huge flocks of Yellow Hammers, Greenfinches, Lesser Redpoll, Linnets etc

Two days ago I saw a huge flock of Fieldfares feeding up then heading North on their return migration.

6 hours ago, JDog said:

I know it's the geographical location of this County but we have huge flocks of Yellow Hammers, Greenfinches, Lesser Redpoll, Linnets etc

Two days ago I saw a huge flock of Fieldfares feeding up then heading North on their return migration.

Greenfinch have been scarce in these parts for some time now, used to be regular garden visitors, but not in recent years.

29 Dark- bellied Brent geese on the River Severn at Purton yesterday.

All the best.