AA s400, brilliant thing!

Taileron

Just before xmas i was thinking about buying a PCP for some plinking in the garden. Went down to Bradleys angling and guns at Millride and had a look at S400/S410/S510r. After some deliberation and costings I opted for the S400 as I couldn't justify the extra expense as i was buying the whole outfit including a bottle. TBH I wasn't expecting much as it was the cheapest of the 3, but I am hugely impressed with this little gun. I have to admit that loading .177 individually for each shot was a pain in the a@@@ so i bought a rowan engineering multi shot adapter. Maybe my expectations were too low because of the costs compared to the others, but what a phenomenal bit of kit it is. The engineering seems to be top rate, its well put together and nice to shoot. Cant shoot/miss clays at the moment so I have put a couple of tins through it so far.

My question to the font of knowledge on PW is there a catch with this gun? Should I be looking out for any failure points or is just excellent value for money. My pcp knowledge is quite poor so any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

The air arms s400 is an excellent  gun and is renowned for accuracy  and quality  .

Just be careful not to bump the barrel it can loose zero .and the safety is in the trigger guard  not the best location imo.

But those are little points,  just enjoy it .

I use the  S400 MPR version for HFT competition and it's a very accurate rifle.

If you do catch the barrel and knock it off zero it should only be a matter of releasing the 2x grub screws on the barrel band so they're loose and re-tighten.

Don't yank on the bolt handle, it's much smoother and less likely to break if you put your thumb on the bot opposite the handle

Find a pellet that it likes and away you go. Mine prefers AA diabolo field 8.4gr in 4.52mm although some favour JSB Exact 

Some say they never clean their barrel and I know others who religiously clean it after every use. Mine gets done, or used to when I was allowed to shoot comps, every 150 pellets or so. If not I'd get the occasional, really irritating, unexplained flyer.

I have an S410, never really rated it 

. until I started to really use it, covid gives plenty of time.

The AA FIELD in 4.52 is very good but after a pellet test the QYS Domed in 4.50 is possibly better, very close so I'm trying them out. It's proving to be a much more accurate than I thought it could be

Thanks for all the pointers, I have been using AA fields and it seems to like them.  I was looking fwd to a few more shots today but the wind has been bad here, looks set for some poor weather for the next few days so hope get it out again next week.

Cheers All.