Cold Lay Tar

stumpy69

I have just widened the gates into our driveway buy knocking down part of the wall. This has left a patch approx. 9" x 18" where there was previously wall and it is surrounded by tar.  

I am assuming the most economical way to fill this is with a bag of the cold lay tar. The price of the bag vary from around £7 for a bug up to £24 for a tub the same size. Are these all very much the same of is it worth paying extra for the more expensive stuff?

Not all monkey dung is created equal! There are lots of products and prices and some are a lot better than others. If it’s lightly trafficked then it won’t make a big difference, prep will be the key. Square off the edges, brush clean, seal with hot or cold bitumen and then fill and compact well, in layers if need be. 6mm aggregate will be big enough and will bind in better than a larger chip.

15 minutes ago, bigmcg said:

Not all monkey dung is created equal! There are lots of products and prices and some are a lot better than others. 

Thanks, wont see much traffic, only really my trailer going over it maybe once a week. Is there any of the products which should be avoided?

Viafix is excellent, but is more expensive. Colas used to do a good one as well but can’t remember the name. The big thing with a lot of them is getting fresh material, many are solvent based and can “go off”.

Sourcing in small quantities is difficult as many are geared towards road maintenance and want to sell bulk.

pick one you can get local but make sure you prep well.

As said if you go cold tarmac route , seal the edges , it’s the undoing of 90% of repairs , water seeps in and sits under waiting for the chance to freeze and lift the patch out ! Or if the area is big enough to hold large area of water will lift anyway , 

On 10/03/2021 at 13:27, spurs 14 said:

As said if you go cold tarmac route , seal the edges , it’s the undoing of 90% of repairs , water seeps in and sits under waiting for the chance to freeze and lift the patch out ! Or if the area is big enough to hold large area of water will lift anyway , 

Do you know I always wondered why they did that, I've never been into that work but now you say it, it makes perfect sense.

I wish someone had told the eastern europeans this who put virgin cables in all around our estate.