Lump on throat

Centrepin

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice as my vetinary can't see my dog till Friday and a little bit of Google is frightening.

My smallest, youngest bitch, 2 1/2 years has developed a lump under her throat. Black in colour and think it's bled because she's scratched it. Very tender to the touch and she's definitely not feeling very well.

Hot tummy and back but nose cool as normal. Eating and drinking normally but refusing treats (buiscuits).

She was constipated a little over tge weekend but that appears to have cleared now.

To the best of my knowledge its not a bite as she's been nowhere in over a week as I haven't been well enough to take them out.

Pictures below, any advice welcome. I'm considering sudocreme to try soothing it for her.

20210309_135715.jpg

20210309_135716.jpg

20210309_135717.jpg

20210309_135718.jpg

20210309_135719.jpg

20210309_135721.jpg

9 minutes ago, stumpy69 said:

If your vet says they cant see your dog until Friday and you are as worried about it as you are you should be getting another vet. I would expect my vet to see something like this on the same day.

I've been offered a phone consultation after surgery tonight but thats the best they can do.

I'm loathe to change vets untill I've at least spoken to a vet and not a receptionist. 

17 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I've been offered a phone consultation after surgery tonight but thats the best they can do.

I'm loathe to change vets untill I've at least spoken to a vet and not a receptionist. 

Get that consultation in. I lost a young springer to septicaemia in similar circumstances many years ago.

I've spoken to many vets receptionists and no-one will see her as we're not registered with them and due to covid they don't see non registered clients.

My vets receptionist phoned back and said our vet has an emergency operation to carry out and will therefore not be making a phone consultation. 

By asking friends I've found a vet in Barnsley that will see her tonight at 1945 so that's at least a start. 45 mins drive from home and the vet will come to the car outside as I'm not allowed inside. Having seen her they can then advise, they've already seen the pictures as I emailed them so must think its worth it.

Thanks for the advice, just 2 hours to wait now.

9 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I've spoken to many vets receptionists and no-one will see her as we're not registered with them and due to covid they don't see non registered clients.

My vets receptionist phoned back and said our vet has an emergency operation to carry out and will therefore not be making a phone consultation. 

By asking friends I've found a vet in Barnsley that will see her tonight at 1945 so that's at least a start. 45 mins drive from home and the vet will come to the car outside as I'm not allowed inside. Having seen her they can then advise, they've already seen the pictures as I emailed them so must think its worth it.

Hope she’s okay!

45 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Fingers crossed for you and glad a vet has taken it seriously. Given your vets approach I would be looking to change as soon as possible. They are all expecting to collect from the car and leave you outside. I believe it is overall BVS advice.

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

That is disgraceful, surely they have more than one vet on at a time. I would 100% be getting a new vet and making sure they know why

Thanks for all the replies. Shes now seen the vet and we're back home. 

I had to wait outside but she was collected by a nurse who took a full history and all symptoms.  She also asked if she could carry her and fuss her as she was a cutie.

Vet came out twice to ask questions, suggest treatment and then carry it out. Nurse brought her back and explained what had been done.

The vet thinks she has picked something up or been bitten. Twice he asked if she had been ratting as its the type of swelling caused by rat bites. Its a very tender hotspot which needed cleaning and shes been given an intramuscular steroid injection (dexafort) and lightly sedated to stop the scratching. No collar of shame as its too low and she'd still get to it. I'm to allow 2 to 3 days for it to settle then either go back (or go to my own vet) and they can biopsy it and start other treatment. But he thinks it may go given the steroids. 

She's been no further than the garden since 25th February as I've been in hospital for an op and recovering at home, so no walks. So in theory, nowhere to get bitten.

She's asleep on a cushion now and now doubt when I go to bed will cuddle up to me as usual. She sleeps on my bed upstairs and the older one sleeps downstairs on my wife's bed.

Oh and the price, £43.51 consultation and treatment. My vet quoted £129.00 just to see her in 3 or 4 days time.

Was definitely worth a 45 minute drive just for peace of mind. Changing vets, very soon.

An old picture of them both running together:

20210309_214722.jpg

10 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

Hope she is okay. Where are you?  If you’re in distance of DN15 I can recommend a brilliant vet.

I'm NW Sheffield, S6. Long way to Donny, thanks anyway.

I'm going to ask friends and family for recommendations locally. We have several within a couple of miles.

She's had a rough night, slept on the hall floor, I think it must have been cooler for her as she was very hot. Currently curled up at the foot of my wife's bed in the living room, looking a little sorry for herself.

Good news you got to see a vet and it is nothing serious. Price is good too, I'm guessing your usual vet is part of a chain and the one you went to see in still independent? Not always but usually it seems to make a difference, my vet is independent and always has someone on call 24hrs a day. They will always at least let you talk to a vet out of hours to see if they think it is an emergency if they do take them in straight away, even on Christmas day, if not they will give you an appointment first thing the next day.

Price is also very reasonable.

A couple of years ago we took a 10 year old dog in at 7.30pm on a Saturday night, completely unconscious, the vet on call got to work on her and called in the practice owner in to help. Ended up she had septicaemia and needed 24 hour care for three days, we took her home on the Tuesday evening as she no longer needed a drip. At her check up the next week we were dreading the bill, the receptionist even covered her eyes when we said we didn't have insurance! The total bill was only £386! We were expecting at least a 1 in front of the total and asked them to check if they had got it wrong. I may be wrong but a friend said if we had taken her to most vets out of hours service 'vets now' we would have been £250 before even walking in the door.   

To be honest I was expecting a mammoth bill and went armed with over £200 in cash plus credit card. I was surprised when given the bill and questioned it. I was told I was only charged a standard fee as it was still "in hours" as they work 0700 - 2100 standard but after that have a vet and nurse on standby. Fantastic service but its just been bought into a chain 

Phew - I don’t know about you but I had a lump in my throat never mind the dog. I am not a fan of my vets but they are fantastic compared to yours.

just one to remember for future we have a vets consultation by smart phone Vidio call free with our dog insurance. But you can pay as you go . They can’t prescribe stuff. But I have used em 3 times and they have been fantastic to gauge if I need to go demand something from my physical vet but in most cases put your mind at rest.

I can’t recommend them enough and then you get a written report afterwards. 

Just checked the app first vet I think they do have affiliate physical vets they can recommend 

fingers crossed for a full recovery atb Agriv8

Edited by Agriv8

I had her back to my vets last night for a back up appointment, they listened to what I said, looked at the letter from the other vet gave me 4 antibiotic tablets. 1/4 of a tablet twice a day and another appointment next week.  £130.39.

As soon as I can re register with another vet I will.

I love both my dogs and can't put a price on good health, but how can one vet charge £43, for an emergency unregistered appointment at 8pm and my own vet justify £130, for a routine appointment at 5pm?

20210312_093502.jpg

Because one vet is there for the customer and there pets and one vet is there to make as much out of customer as possible so they can afford a new Range Rover. My vets bills are very much closer to the expensive one for when she pinched the Christmas Cake ! They do have a some big overheads /buildings I guess computers X-ray machines on site. Dedicated emergency team at main practice up road she was in and given vomiting drug within 30 mins it took me 20 to get her there ! 

i would be asking around for vet recommendations fellow dog owners etc google can also give you an idea with reviews etc! 

is your dog still improving? That’s the main thing!

Agriv8