New Toy Gun

bruno22rf

Finally got my hands on one of these diminutive beasts. After searching around the kit below came to £450 new (+£25 for the shoulder doodah) so what do I think of it.Well it's tiny, noisy and is dying for a little lube around the probe and cocking link, the Mag fell to pieces before my very eyes (it "may" have been my fault) and the charging probe is really stiff to insert. Had a handfull of shots with it yesterday before even cleaning the barrel and was quite impressed although my favourite Exacts were not grouping too well, about 3/4" over 27 yards but the odd flyer which is unusual for these. Decided to "fix" the Mag (newer guns only come with one!) and soon realised that you need to be an skilled jeweler to stand much of a chance, but after much hassle and discussions as to it's parenthood I got it together. Didn't get chance to try her out till late this afternoon, persevered with Exacts (middle target) but not impressed (the 2 high and left were where I managed to double load the thing!!) then switched to H&N FTT(top right target) and looks promising....more testing if it doesn't pour down tommorow.

p15.jpg

Bruno, verily thou hast strayed from the path of righteousness....... You'll be buying a BSA next!

The FTT's look a bit more like it though alot of testing fun to be had I'm sure. Shame it looks like P ing down tomorrow.

Didn't fancy a Galahad? No, don't blame you.... Is the a Brian Samson butt hook?

Look like a fun new toy, enjoy.

I shall be playing with a 6 chambered smoke machine when they let me out!

Guilty as charged Mr.C - the devil (and failing health) did tempt me into the path of enlightenment, but I have yet to succumb to Beelzebub's BSA!! It's all come down to weight I'm afraid (and wanting a new plaything) and this thing feels like a pistol on steroids. Having a few issues but, then again, having fun solving them, have a sneaky feeling that she has a slow leak so the thing is currently laid on the Dining room table with a Condom over it's cylinder!! Been like that for a couple of hours and still not managed to fill the thing but then I never managed it either in  over 40 years. Magazines are a work of art and are totally self indexing, brilliant till you try and fix one!!!

Did think about having one of these a while back as I had a go on someone's at the range. Apart from it feeling very light, it felt alright and I'm a big guy. Seemed accurate as well, strangely I believe he was using some brand of cheap pellet and it was grouping well. Dammed if I can remember what tho.

Is that a .177?

The carm mags are supposed to be good Bruno if your after another,  I did look at these a while back, but the price had gone up from £350 to around £450+ but they often still  need debugging to run smooth.

How does she feel when compared to your 510, I'm guessing like a pistol,  hopefully it means you can get out more , I'd imagine it would fit in a back pack to make carrying it easier. 

Heard of the carm ones Mice! and may look at one in the future although having mentioned my Mag woes to the dealer he is posting me 2 more by Fedex, now that's customer service. Compared to my S510 it feels about the same weight as the AA's bag, I've managed to find a pefect fitting bag for £15 so as soon as the weather improves I'm off out on the greys although I'm kinda tempted to take her to AirFective for a fettle.

Buy a BSA Stu!! Never!! besides the CLX has no sleeve, no Reg, limited shot count and is heavier. 

6 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Heard of the carm ones Mice! and may look at one in the future although having mentioned my Mag woes to the dealer he is posting me 2 more by Fedex, now that's customer service. Compared to my S510 it feels about the same weight as the AA's bag, I've managed to find a pefect fitting bag for £15 so as soon as the weather improves I'm off out on the greys although I'm kinda tempted to take her to AirFective for a fettle.

Buy a BSA Stu!! Never!! besides the CLX has no sleeve, no Reg, limited shot count and is heavier. 

Hello, did you manage to get those things done like the probe ?  How do you find now with stock extension ? That's good customer service👍 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

The probe is getting easier, the stock extension was childs play to fit and feels great (looks nifty too!!), I'm taking the beast to Airfective early next week for a complete strip and service, common complaints seem to be the quality of the O rings so I will have decent ones fitted. Going to be £100 but I've had work done by these guys before and it's well worth the money.

5 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

The probe is getting easier, the stock extension was childs play to fit and feels great (looks nifty too!!), I'm taking the beast to Airfective early next week for a complete strip and service, common complaints seem to be the quality of the O rings so I will have decent ones fitted. Going to be £100 but I've had work done by these guys before and it's well worth the money.

Well at least you'll know after that that there won't be any issues,  and the gun will perform as it should do.

Great news about the mags, you'll have a nice light weight rifle for the longer walks.

On 10/03/2021 at 02:05, bruno22rf said:

Hello Chris , how you getting on with the new P15 ?

Took her to meet the greys yesterday, the thing is so light that the wind was blowing the gunbag around me, I felt like a gymnast practising the ribbon routine. First time this season the blighters are showing no interest in the feeders, maybe too late in the day and they were simply not hungry so I ended up doing a little plinking and happy to find her accurate. Left after just over an hour but met the chap who fills the hoppers, he has suggested another wood that I have never visited as it's "crawling with them" so hopefully once AirFective have breathed on her early next week I'm of to pastures new. Cannot really find a fault with the gun at the moment tbh but early days, build quality is a little lacking in places but nothing that a little time cannot cure. 

Booked in at AirFective Monday @12:00. Bit more plinking in the garden today, cannot grumble about the accuracy on my example although I understand that others have had issues. Being so small/light does make trigger control a major contributing factor to accuracy, the slightest pull and the shot veers off, from the box the trigger is set so safe as to be verging on unusable and has required 2 turns of the sear engagement adjusting screw to be acceptable. Can comfortably put 11 shots in a 5p size hole at 27 yards now and getting used to the surgical precision needed to fill the magazine, wouldn't even try it at night though but the larger .22 may be better. Looking forward to Monday now and then I'm going Squirrel bashing asap.

Just a basic strip service/polish/set the Reg and replace all the O Rings with decent quality items, it's costing a 1/4 of the price of the gun but it looks like this little devil will become my go to gun and I have total confidence in their work, Liam is a genius where Airguns are concerned (might be tempted to add one of their modified shrouds), had a little gun bag delivered from the bay of plenty today and ,tbh, I'm amazed at the quality for just over £16!! and loving the fact that it fits like a glove and just looks too small to be carrying a rifle. Tweaked the trigger again and now it's sweet as anything I've ever tried (apart from Daystates electronic jobbies), these guns are soooo addictive, I think that because you assume they are cheap chinese tat you cannot help but consider them the underdog - and everybody loves the underdog.So far it has already given me more pleasure than my twice the price AA S510R.The magazine alone is a work of art - totally self indexing and needs nothing adding to the action to trip it, as the probe is drawn back the mag indexes, why dont other makers use this system? 

Edited by bruno22rf

27 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Just a basic strip service/polish/set the Reg and replace all the O Rings with decent quality items,

Sounds good, what I'd read had said the assembly let the gun down,  and often the crown was rough, just bits that could cause issues,  seem to recall a burr somewhere that caused leaks but can't think where? My have been the fill probe?

27 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

S510R.The magazine alone is a work of art - totally self indexing and needs nothing adding to the action to trip it, as the probe is drawn back the mag indexes, why dont other makers use this system? 

Haven't seen one, but I've had no issues with the rapid or bsa mags, not sure they could be more straightforward?

Just back from AirFective. Gun undergone service with all O rings replaced with high quality items, trigger sorted and a calbre specific air stripper and modified baffles fitted. She now "clicks" on pulling the trigger (which now feels crisp and predictable) and spits JSB heavies downrange at a consistant 11.7ft/lb. Before leaving I was told that the gun may take a couple of hundred rounds to settle down and achieve its full accuracy potential, mmmmmmmm.....10 shots 27 yards...

target.jpg

Yes Gordon, the 2 guys wore face masks (as did I), but if Liam wanted to explain anything he went to the other side of the workshop and slipped his mask down then spoke so I could hear him clearly. As always, an absolute pleasure to spend some time with these guys, Liam was working on an FAC Impact that some fool had siezed the power adjuster, when he'd finished it sounded like a .22lr and was visibly recoiling, pretty impressive I must say.

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Yes Gordon, the 2 guys wore face masks (as did I), but if Liam wanted to explain anything he went to the other side of the workshop and slipped his mask down then spoke so I could hear him clearly. As always, an absolute pleasure to spend some time with these guys, Liam was working on an FAC Impact that some fool had siezed the power adjuster, when he'd finished it sounded like a .22lr and was visibly recoiling, pretty impressive I must say.

Hello, they sound some very good people to get an air rifle sorted,y your be off to the new wood soon,  cheers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Down the new (to me) woods this afternoon but wasted most of my time trying to find the feeders. Eventually found one and within 10 minutes the first victim of the p15 was scurrying down the tree and sat on the feeder. This little gun is so small and easy to manoeuvre that I had the crosshairs on the front of his head in seconds, as the trigger clicked he dropped stone dead - just over 30 good paces so just over 30 yards at a guess. Sent a txt to the manager only to find that my maps are a couple of years out of date, just received one back offering me updated maps and a tally of 677 over the last March-March season which is the highest score since Warfarin was stopped.