New Toy Gun

bruno22rf

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

just received one back offering me updated maps and a tally of 677 over the last March-March season which is the highest score since Warfarin was stopped.

667, well there's some serious numbers of squirrels there then, imagine the increase if those hadn't been culled.

Hopefully the results will increase the diversity of birds using the woodland, I've certainly noticed new species appearing in the 3 years I've been visiting my nearest wood with Nuthatches and Tree Creepers last year and Coal Tits this season. Most of the woods are still recording empty feeders every week though so still plenty to do and breeding season is just under way. Wish I could find someone local to share the outings as the furthest woods are 1/2 hour drive and some are 300+acres, would be nice to have a companion sometimes. 

Edited by bruno22rf

12 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Hopefully the results will increase the diversity of birds using the woodland, I've certainly noticed new species appearing in the 3 years I've been visiting my nearest wood with Nuthatches and Tree Creepers last year and Coal Tits this season. Most of the woods are still recording empty feeders every week though so still plenty to do and breeding season is just under way. Wish I could find someone local to share the outings as the furthest woods are 1/2 hour drive and some are 300+acres, would be nice to have a companion sometimes. 

Hello, is that north or south of Buckingham way Chris ?

4 greys fell to the little P shooter early this morning. Bought some QYS pellets while having my tank filled t'other day and find them easily a match for the JSB's, suffered with an out of date map again on yet another new wood but managed to find 2 feeders (both empty) after a good stroll and settled down to wait, all 4 shot on one feeder in less than an hour but time flew by as 2 Jays were stealing peanuts every couple of minutes and kept me entertained (supposed to shoot them but I dont), walked around after the first victims and came across a clearing where there must have been 15 Squirrels running around on some felled Ash trees (will report this tommorow and hopefully get a feeder put up nearby), nine o'clock soon came so back to the car. Parked in a public, yet secluded car park and was rather suprised by the amount of people parked there chatting and eating sandwiches!!!

I found the qys  pellets in 8.5 grn streamlined to be a very accurate  pellet and out to 40 yds every bit as accurate as the jsb exact .

Only at extreme range of 60 yds does the slightly lower bc of the qys show its hand in slightly more drop and a touch bigger group (out of my guns ) 

But to be honest if I couldn't shoot jsb I'd swap over to these qys they are a very  good second placed pellet .

If I remember right .I get the bc of jsb exact around 0.0245 

And the qys 0.023 

Which is as good as a bismag at 10.5 grns 

Only pellet to best the exact is the jsb heavies  at 0.033 which is more than a lot of .22 pellets  

"Like" OPP? that's an understatement, I honestly cannot fault it, it weighs next to nothing, it's as accurate as my S510R, it almost fits in my handbag (🙄), it's good for around 100 shots and just "does the job". Faults/Dislikes?, the Mag can be fiddly to load in the field and I need reading glasses to do the job (buy 3 mags and load them at home), the trigger, out of the box, is not good (easily adjusted), it's got quite a bark (AirFective sorted for £30), struggling to think of anything else.......Nope! Few things I have learned, the later guns come with metal magazines, some earlier models suffered with a coating inside the barrel flaking off and ruining accuracy, AirFective make them 100% reliable and usable for a £100 basic service, the cocking lever is cold on your cheek if you're a lefty!! A good fitting gunbag takes some research but one is readily available for around £15, at the end of the day it's a regged gun with a Titanium cylinder, 11 shot (.177), 100 + shot count that does everything you could ask of it for under £400, what's not to like?

15 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Titanium cylinder, 11 shot (.177), 100 + shot count that does everything you could ask of it for under £400, what's not to like?

Thought the cylinder was Aluminium? And the stock is drab (walnut fetish 😘)

Sounds like its perfect for what you need, not such good news for the squirrels. 

57 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Actually Mice, the cylinder is made from a cut down Ford Anglia shock absorber whilst the stock utilises wood deemed too poor for making pallets, but any parts rejected by Snowpeak are sold on to BSA 😂.

😅😅😅