FX wireless chronograph.

TRINITY

Bought an FX wireless chronograph the other day. Seemed a great bit of kit and so easy to set up. Also quite a bit of good press on you tube. However I was surprised to see my R10 was between 9.8 and 10.3 over various pellet types. The gin had a full service and reseal quite recently and when it was return ther was a document stating it was about 11.2

My son and grandson both have air rifles and both were also tested and both of theirs were lower than they believed by about 1ft lb. I know the best way would be to get a competitive calibration on another machine but with lockdown that is too difficult. Unless I am missing something the unit is fixed and cant have its calibration adjusted.

Just wondering if anyone out there had experience of this type of chrono , or could offer any advice. 

Hi i have one and its fine are you putting all the settings in ie  uk air gun 12f1lb .22 or .177   pellet weight  domed  pointed or hollow point  if you put any of them wrong you will not get a true reading

Hi forgot to say are you using the same pellets and weight  ie on the document after service unless it does say what the pellet was and weight you wont get the 11.2 1lb

Yes gone over it on my phone put all the settings in correct and used different pellets and used both a 22 and 177 gun. It must be accurate because if I set it up for a particular pellet, fire a few and get a good average reading ,then switch pellet the machine recognises it immediately and the readings are different. 

Maybe I will have to try and use another chrono and test the comparative readings... 

12 hours ago, villaman said:

All depends where about you fit it to your barrel, to far forward may give you under power to far back might give you higher readings, or the other way round . Even FX said this them selves, after contacting FX with this problem 

Quite honestly if that's true then it's not acceptable. It makes a mockery if you move it and it alters the reading because you have no way of knowing which is the optimum position and which reading to believe. Surely they should offer some guidance and indicate the ideal length from the end of the muzzle.

After saying all that I have placed it at various positions on the sound moderator and seen no difference as such. I have watched a few videos and about 2 inch from the end seems about what most people prefer so i stick with that.

On the plus side it gives me something interesting to continue and experiment with during this boring lock down 😁

On 11/03/2021 at 09:02, TRINITY said:

Quite honestly if that's true then it's not acceptable. It makes a mockery if you move it and it alters the reading because you have no way of knowing which is the optimum position and which reading to believe. Surely they should offer some guidance and indicate the ideal length from the end of the muzzle.

After saying all that I have placed it at various positions on the sound moderator and seen no difference as such. I have watched a few videos and about 2 inch from the end seems about what most people prefer so i stick with that.

On the plus side it gives me something interesting to continue and experiment with during this boring lock down 😁

On my FAC guns it can be as much as 40 FPS and sub 12 10 FPS 

25 minutes ago, villaman said:

On my FAC guns it can be as much as 40 FPS and sub 12 10 FPS 

So what is the correct distance from the end of the barrel. They offer no guidance with the product. If its positioning effects accuracy of readings surely it needs mentioning

I'm not sure how the dopplar radar is supposed to work on these chronos ? 

At what range  does it read the pellet speed and over what distance. ? 

Ie .my lmbr chrono .reads at the range the chrono is set from my muzzle. And the distance is between the 2 sensors so about 80 mm .

The lab radar  chrono .can track a pellet out to 100 yds and give you the speeds at every 10 yds  .which is very cool and great for workingvot the bc of pellets .

And if I had the cash and need for one id have one .

But the fx chrono (for all I know .) Reads the speed 1 m away from the muzzle over 500 mm ? Which would give lower readings than a true end of muzzle velocity  .

AND is why I dont own one .

My mate does though .and he likes his .though I've never got too involved  with it .

I don't like the FX chrono as it's readings are to the nearest rounded three FPS.

How can a inch or two make such a difference to how it reads.  If that's the case they should state exactly how far from the muzzle it should be as they will be calibrated for a set distance. 

The only decent radar chrono is the lab radar. 

Only way you can get the FX to work close enough is to shoot over a known chrono at 1m from muzzle then adjust the position of the FX radar until it's the same readings take a measurement so you can repeat each time. 

Otherwise you might as well put your finger in the air and take a wild guess.

On 13/03/2021 at 20:09, TRINITY said:

So what is the correct distance from the end of the barrel. They offer no guidance with the product. If its positioning effects accuracy of readings surely it needs mentioning

There is no correct distance. On my two FAC air it about 80 mm back , sub 12 about 50 mm , on one gun then the other 25 mm . The way to tell is to get FPS to read  evenly 

Looking at all the variables it does make me wonder just how many people could be using air rifles that are well under there stated power or possibly over the legal limit??

Does anyone know how the police check the ft lb in the field if you are stopped and questioned about the power of your rifle?

They don't check in the field .they seize your guns and take them away for testing .

Some times your lucky if they come back in one piece or at all .

Best not to give reasonnfor testing in the first place 

And if you do feel you could possibly get pulled .carry a simple chrono with your gun so it is possible for you to show its legal in the field .

A combro  is best for this situation .

On 20/03/2021 at 18:16, Ultrastu said:

And if you do feel you could possibly get pulled .carry a simple chrono with your gun so it is possible for you to show its legal in the field .

A combro  is best for this situation .

That is one of the primary reason I chose the FX chrono. Extremely light ,simple to use.  

Since I started this post, I have tried it on a number of guns. I have come to the conclusion  it seems quite accurate and provided its somewhere between an inch and 3 inch from the end of the muzzle the readings are not affected.  OK it's not going to give you the accuracy of the forensic firearms lab, but is still a fair guide to where you are. 

All I need to do now is somehow get the bloody anti tamper cover removed as I am sure I have a good ft lb to play with and still remain comfortably within the limit.