Outdoor Edge Knife Sharpener

Jonty

As a ‘bloke’, there’s  a couple of things that I’m loathed to admit being a bit rubbish at.  One is reversing a trailer and the other is sharpening knives with either a stone or a steel.  I ended up buying myself a lansky system which is absolutely brilliant but can be a bit of a faff for putting a quick edge onto a blade.  So after seeing one being used on a hunting program recently, I bought a small ‘outside edge’ sharpener for about £12 posted.  I can’t comment on long term use, but having put all of my kitchen and butchers knives through it I really do have to say that I’m really impressed with it and would thoroughly recommend it.   It’s probably more suited to more occasional use than every day, but it’s small enough to sling in with your stalking gear and will liven up a dull blade in a few strokes.  So far - great piece of kit.

727D8AF9-78AE-4670-A1A8-2B890D3CBA09.jpeg

41 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

I can't reverse a trailer nor sharpen knives either

Maybe we should start a club... ‘’hi my name is Jonty, I’ve not been able to reverse a trailer for 49 years, 5 months and 25 days’’ 😀

1 hour ago, Jonty said:

Maybe we should start a club... ‘’hi my name is Jonty, I’ve not been able to reverse a trailer for 49 years, 5 months and 25 days’’ 😀

I pull rank then; I'm nearly 52. . . . keep me posted if the knife sharpener holds up with the test of time please

41 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

I pull rank then; I'm nearly 52. . . . keep me posted if the knife sharpener holds up with the test of time please

Doe that mean you are more practiced at not being able to reverse a trailer than I am?  

Will do on the sharpener front.

Edited by Jonty

2 hours ago, mgsontour said:

I can't reverse a trailer nor sharpen knives either

I'll admit to sniffing bike saddles , and  dressing up in ladies clothes from time to time , but not being able to reverse a trailer or sharpen a knife is just too much , some things should be kept private😅

these type of sharpeners are truly excellent for cheapish kitchen/cooking knives....quick and easy to use and produces a wicked edge........................

BUT..............i would never use them on expensive culinary high quality kitchen knives .or hunting knives...they will soon mess up/destroy the blade and edge

for quality knives i always use a flat fine diamond file and sparingly.........

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

these type of sharpeners are truly excellent for cheapish kitchen/cooking knives....quick and easy to use and produces a wicked edge........................

BUT..............i would never use them on expensive culinary high quality kitchen knives .or hunting knives...they will soon mess up/destroy the blade and edge

for quality knives i always use a flat fine diamond file and sparingly.........

Could you spend a few mins and educate us lot on the correct way to use a flat fine diamond file to sharpen a knife correctly?

25 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Could you spend a few mins and educate us lot on the correct way to use a flat fine diamond file to sharpen a knife correctly?

dig the point of the blade in a piece of wood

1. as walker 570 says...circular motions up and down the blade at 12 deg's sort of
  2. twist blade and do the other side
  3. sweep the file down each side
  4. bend your knee so your jeans are tight
  5. strop off the burr

sounds ok ?

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

dig the point of the blade in a piece of wood

1. as walker 570 says...circular motions up and down the blade at 12 deg's sort of
  2. twist blade and do the other side
  3. sweep the file down each side
  4. bend your knee so your jeans are tight
  5. strop off the burr

sounds ok ?

Sounds good in theory and like pigeoning if you don't give it a go then you will never know how good it can be; cheers my man 

The only thing I’d say with pull through sharpeners is to buy a few, they get worn and if you can’t get the same one then you’ll get another and the rod angles will be different and all your hard work will start again! 

I have a pull through I used on a works leather man for years and like it, I’m tempted to buy the worksharp pull through, it looks neat 

1 minute ago, Jim Neal said:

Could you elaborate on that?!

if you dont bend your knee and tighten your jeans when you strop,.... the blade might catch a fold and either damage you or the crown jewles or the jeans ...

and we wouldnt want that to happen now  ,....would we..

24 minutes ago, ditchman said:

if you dont bend your knee and tighten your jeans when you strop,.... the blade might catch a fold and either damage you or the crown jewles or the jeans ...

and we wouldnt want that to happen now  ,....would we..

Depends if you've done steps 1-3 right, you might just smack yourself in the nuts with a blunt lump of steel or slice the old chap right off 😂

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

"Snurging "

😲😲😲oh my good god . I just googled it 😲😲😲😲😲.

I never thought for a single minute that it was actually a real thing ( doing it , or , naming it) .

Every day is a school day on pigeonwatch.  Todays lesson, is that I've had a very sheltered life 😲

34 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

😲😲😲oh my good god . I just googled it 😲😲😲😲😲.

I never thought for a single minute that it was actually a real thing ( doing it , or , naming it) .

Every day is a school day on pigeonwatch.  Todays lesson, is that I've had a very sheltered life 😲

:lol::lol::lol:

did you see that someone had paid 10k to snurg pippa middletons bike seat........(might have been mighty man harry wales)

17 minutes ago, ditchman said:

did you see that someone had paid 10k to snurg pippa middletons bike seat........(might have been mighty man harry wales)

I didn't read that far .  my jaw dropped open when I realised that it was a real actual thing , that people actually really  do 😲.