Another threatening letter

Walker570

......from the TV Licensing Brigade.  A bit different this one as they have now addressed it personally to my wife and how it was addressed has caused mayhem......... Ms........

Now she has been a very proud Mrs for 57yrs and has no truck with all this WOKE brigade rubbish, because as far as she is concerned you are either Mrs or Miss.

I am a bit worried as it is getting close to lunch time and she has not come off the ceiling yet.

We have not had a TV for 36yrs and way back in 1985 decided that we did not need to watch the garbage  on there. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

......from the TV Licensing Brigade.  A bit different this one as they have now addressed it personally to my wife and how it was addressed has caused mayhem......... Ms........

Now she has been a very proud Mrs for 57yrs and has no truck with all this WOKE brigade rubbish, because as far as she is concerned you are either Mrs or Miss.

I am a bit worried as it is getting close to lunch time and she has not come off the ceiling yet.

We have not had a TV for 36yrs and way back in 1985 decided that we did not need to watch the garbage  on there. 

This is really serious stuff nev . What were you having for lunch ?, you might just have to tough it out and cook yourself a cheese and onion sandwich if Mrs nev is still took angry to do it.

12 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

because as far as she is concerned you are either Mrs or Miss.

And I agree, with very limited exceptions like Dr, Professor, Lady, The Duchess of .... etc.

Ms (when encountered) is clearly a typo for either Mrs or Miss.

Ms has been around and used for as long as I can remember and way before any notion of wokedness.

I was brought up to believe it was the correct way to address or refer to a lady who you either didn't know marital status of or who you knew to be unmarried and no longer a young lady.

Some women I know prefer it because they believe their marital status is of no business to any stranger they may encounter or need to interact with.

From a pure equality perspective, surely Miss should equate to Master and Ms or Mrs to Mr!?

Just because something is established tradition does not make it right - I do not consider the use of Ms as a reflection of wokedness but gender equality (on the basis of a binary choice between gender) and individual respect in a more traditional sense.

Some replies here really are showing some peoples "age" 😛 

Let the lady choose I say...

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Ms has been around and used for as long as I can remember and way before any notion of wokedness.

I was brought up to believe it was the correct way to address or refer to a lady who you either didn't know marital status of or who you knew to be unmarried and no longer a young lady.

Some women I know prefer it because they believe their marital status is of no business to any stranger they may encounter or need to interact with.

From a pure equality perspective, surely Miss should equate to Master and Ms or Mrs to Mr!?

Just because something is established tradition does not make it right - I do not consider the use of Ms as a reflection of wokedness but gender equality (on the basis of a binary choice between gender) and individual respect in a more traditional sense.

Some replies here really are showing some peoples "age" 😛 

Let the lady choose I say...

Trouble is most of the Ms types are not ladies.  A greeting to a lady who you do not know was always Good morning/afternoon Maam and I will stick to my old aged ideas thank you and the flagrant use of someones Christian name(first name) is also against my upbringing unless asked to or invited.   My relatively young Garage mechanic always refers to his clients as Mr or Mrs ..surname.  I have many times told him to call me by my first name but he still insists in his polite respectful way of doing things.

"Ms" is just a polite address for a woman that doesn't include her marital status.  I use "Ms" on principle because my marital status should have no bearing on my commercial relationship with anyone. 

And no, I'm not a "lady". I am a woman and I will not say that some women are not worthy of being treated with respect because they don't fit inside some narrow box that makes them a "lady". I will have an opinion, property, vehicles, power, wear trousers, shoot guns, eat in public, swear, drink, and all kinds of other non-ladylike behaviour. 

But only man who wasn't a gentleman would have an issue with any of this 😁

25 minutes ago, London Best said:

No woman should be proud of not being a lady.

This may shock you, but some 'women' are not ladies, some are in fact, not really women 🍆

And some men, are not gentlemen either. 

But in this brave new world, we cannot question others choices about what they are, or what they choose to be referred to as. 

Or you could end up in a brave new world of trouble 🙄

Edited by Rewulf

4 hours ago, ehb102 said:

"Ms" is just a polite address for a woman that doesn't include her marital status.  I use "Ms" on principle because my marital status should have no bearing on my commercial relationship with anyone. 

And no, I'm not a "lady". I am a woman and I will not say that some women are not worthy of being treated with respect because they don't fit inside some narrow box that makes them a "lady". I will have an opinion, property, vehicles, power, wear trousers, shoot guns, eat in public, swear, drink, and all kinds of other non-ladylike behaviour. 

please excuse my ignorance on this liz , but , is a woman eating in public really a thing ?. if it is , why is it ?.

i live in the black country , and , women get called mate (the same as men) . lin found it very amusing when she came to live here , and the woman on the till in asda called her mate :yes:.

8 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Trouble is most of the Ms types are not ladies.  A greeting to a lady who you do not know was always Good morning/afternoon Maam and I will stick to my old aged ideas thank you and the flagrant use of someones Christian name(first name) is also against my upbringing unless asked to or invited.   My relatively young Garage mechanic always refers to his clients as Mr or Mrs ..surname.  I have many times told him to call me by my first name but he still insists in his polite respectful way of doing things.

I would use Maam in a verbal address too but I’d not write or refer to somebody as Maam, in that context it would be Ms.

As for most Ms not being ladies, again you are showing your “age”.

No idea what relevance address by Christian name has to this discussion but I was brought up exactly the same way.

8 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Very well said Ms!

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

Has anyone else?

Yes: Some years ago (and long before I retired) we had a rather formidable lady join as a Contracts Officer - and she insisted on being Ms. Christian-name, Surname.

In fact she was both very pleasant and highly efficient at her job (much more so than her dull, ultra pedantic and unimaginative boss).  Sadly, she moved on after a couple of years - I suspect held back by the boss.

16 hours ago, mel b3 said:

please excuse my ignorance on this liz , but , is a woman eating in public really a thing ?. if it is , why is it ?.

i live in the black country , and , women get called mate (the same as men) . lin found it very amusing when she came to live here , and the woman on the till in asda called her mate :yes:.

Yes. You would be astounded at the list of things a woman shouldn't so including in public. First reference I can think of that shows this is Scarlett O'Hara being told by her Mammy to eat before she goes to the barbecue so she doesn't display a healthy appetite. 

ETA Why is this a thing? To squash "ladies" into a tiny restrictive box. If your wife and daughters are half starved and fairing under corsets they won't give you much trouble will they? 

Not to be confused with eating in the street of course. That just showed you were too poor to cook at home. 

Edited by ehb102

6 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

Yes. You would be astounded at the list of things a woman shouldn't so including in public. First reference I can think of that shows this is Scarlett O'Hara being told by her Mammy to eat before she goes to the barbecue so she doesn't display a healthy appetite. 

Not to be confused with eating in the street of course. That just showed you were too poor to cook at home. 

Every days a school day on pigeonwatch. 

Was the not appearing to have a healthy appetite , a not getting fat thing , or a , not costing much to feed thing ?. It seems quite funny and quite ridiculous,  but I bet it's no joke when you're hungry 😕.

Mind you , I tell lin to eat before a bbq or she won't leave enough food for everyone else , and I darent even mention the unseemly catfight over the last piece of chocolate cake😅  

I can claim that I've been a past victim of the eating in the street thing , but I never understood why.

I was sitting outside a pub in Shrewsbury , eating a firkins/greggs sausage roll , folks were walking past and looking at me like I was some kind of vagrant . They couldn't have looked more horrified if I'd been eating it from the floor 😅. My late wife made me put the sausage roll in my pocket until we got home 😅.

Can you send me a full list of things that women shouldnt do in public please  . I can use it to point out to lin how common she is , and how truly lucky she is to have someone as wonderful as me😅.

Just now, mel b3 said:

full list of things that women shouldnt do in public please  . I can use it to point out to lin how common she is , and how truly lucky she is to have someone as wonderful as me😅.

😄 It's for *ladies*, not for ordinary women. Basically if it's at all fun or interesting, a lady probably shouldn't be seen doing it. 

Interestingly, no one ever seems to mind that the Esquire was dropped and all men are now addressed as Mr. Men now have equality of address. Women are still addressed in relation to a man. I'd go and earn a Dr title on principle if I were clever enough. 

In one of my jobs where I had to try my best at proper english, I got properly told off by one of the guns for calling him 'sir'. He had a right paddy with me, 'I'm not a ******* sir', right you are then **** stick, you can ram my good morning right up your ****. Last time I tried manners with him 😅