Any electronics guys - I'm stumped

discobob

Sorry if this bores people but I am stumped!!

Due to Brexit where getting a Pot (it does come with cable and mount and gear cog) from the manufacturer of my lads sim racing pedals costing circa £45 (only costs 8 euros and they will only supply 2 max) I have gone on the hunt for a Pot I can source from somewhere else. It is a 10K Linear pot D Shaft and I have found this - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/potentiometers/1548183/ and ordered 3 as it looked bang on the money.

However on connecting it up to the rig and using the calibration software I am getting a logarithmic effect in that the signal (inverse to voltage) is low through most of the turn of the shaft and then shoots to maximum signal. Connect up the manufacturers one and it works nice an smooth.

However I have taken it out and come back to my bench and got the avo on it - and at half turn I am reading 5k ohms - the same as a manufacturer pot. Trouble is I haven't got a dc supply to test with either

Anybody any ideas???

Hopefully this won't drop to the bottom the page PDQ :)

All I can think is feed voltage 

all the ones we used on the touring cars were given a 12v feed from a cleaned supply.

all I can suggest is running feed to the pot using a battery or batteries to correct voltage they take very little amps to run and check readings

other longshot could it be picking up noise from something else motor !

sorry not really and expert either !

I am no expert but I seem to remember that about 50 years ago I was building a R/C transmitter and one of the pots wouldn`t throw a servo properly. We soldered a resister of the correct value either end of the pot track and that sorted it. I guess that you would need a 5 ohm one.

Shouldnt do any damage trying this but as I said I`m no expert, try at your own risk.

Hope it helps.

FB

I will hunt around to try and sort out a supply - the voltage being supplied is 3.5v. 

the daft thing is that I am also doing a mod with a Hall effect sensor and magnets which will get rid of the POT - but I am looking at setting the lad up doing both to give him a bit of income from uk based sim racers!!

17 minutes ago, cheddletonkev said:

Have both pots got the same amount of rotation ? 
if they are different then obviously the track in the pot is different length

which will effect how it works

can you fit each pot into wherever  it goes and then measure the voltage at the wiper when operating it

then you can compare the two

I eventually traced it down to a bad solder contact - the trouble is that the "replacement" pot has through board connectors on it - not solder tabs. I have now set up a test bed using an Arduino which really helped trace down the bad connection as it was causing the USB port to trip - a quick re-solder and it was working exactly the same as the original. I have now found a supply from Mouser that has the solder tabs on which will overcome trying to solder to the legs or using the through holes which they are not meant to be soldered. 

Only trouble is the handling fee which means I will have to order more than I wanted for the first batch to bring them down into a reasonable cost.

I now need to find a better cable that can be used with an RJ12 connector, and be robust and flexible - the stuff I have is either multi-strand (telephone cable) that is too thin for soldering or single which is too stiff 😞 (2 pair and is also poorly colour marked).