.243 wanted

hairysausagefingers

I'm looking for a light(ish) .243 for some foxing in the dark. My .223 is a heavy barreled beast that sucks the fun out of it. I quite like the idea of an old BSA or Parker Hale and as long as it still holds a group I don't mind sorting out dings and gouges in the woodwork if need be. Ideally screw-cut, even better with a mod though. Better still with brass and dies. There must be loads of unfashionable stuff in the back of cabinets not getting used- anyone got something suitable? I'm about 20 miles South of Chester. I don't have a massive budget and I'd be buying new if I did. Just after a cheapie for a few hundred quid really. 

I went the same way with my first deer rifle. I bought a Parker hale 1200 deluxe that was in a proper shabby shape. I gave the action a full strip and clean, refinished the stock and had the muzzle screwcut. 

I quite like it now compared to modern budget rifles. 

Photos uploading

IMG_20201216_193343_copy_780x1040.jpg

IMG_20201216_193117_copy_780x1040.jpg

Paid about £200 for my Parker hale and put about £20 of oil and 24hours of work in to the stock. From what i can remember the screw cutting on the muzzle was to 1/2"unf and cost about £80 without proof. If I ever part with it I'll have to send it to the proof house for testing before I pass it on. 

I've actually been looking at a 1200 just like yours Foxbasher. Nice job on the woodwork by the way! Accurate enough and not too heavy? 

49 minutes ago, oscarsdad said:

Much nicer than modern foreign budget stuff. I can’t find any pics of just my rifle on my phone but it has a lovely piece of wood on it. 

1064D0AA-5C91-4CEE-825B-9625B285E8AB.jpeg

It is a lot better than a chunk of plastic isn't it? And it clover-leafs too!

It'll hold its own compared to modern stuff in the same sort of price bracket. ive had 1" at 80-90yds with ppu ammo. Most of what I do is woodland roe and foxes so I've not needed to push distances much further than that. I'm sure with some home loads and some action and trigger work it could achieve a lot more

Edited by foxbasher

When I got it, the stock had a really nasty laquer finish and it was really rough. I used a paint and varnish stripper made by rustins I think and that took all of it off in one or two applications. After cleaning it off with white spirits I finished it with Liberton finishing oil. As per the instructions on the tin, I started with one or two heavy applications every few hours before turning to a light coat every 24hours for about 8-9 days. You can get the finish as deep and as lustrous as you want by applying light coats every day but patients and restraint is the key to get a good finish.