council tax

armsid

I know that council tax goes to paying for services etc, but the amount of peoplenot paying and causing the increases year by year is frustrating, Students in full time education who live in a house pay no council tax and some of the properties contain more than 1 person, So if your 40 yrs old and enrol for full time education ie take up a course to change career   you might not have to pay council tax as i do not think there is age mentioned you could save a fair bit  but the services suffer as lloyd90 said so poll tax is the best as long as everyone pays, If you have a city/town with large numbers of student housing and benefit claimants (i have no problem with those rightly entitled to them) the bills can be astronomical, It should be fair all round the care has to be paid for but to keep the same system working is going to make a lot of us pay a lot more than we should, I think the time is right to bring in the poll tax before it is too late and councils start to go bust, 

5 hours ago, armsid said:

, I think the time is right to bring in the poll tax before it is too late and councils start to go bust, 

All that people would have to do to avoid the poll tax is not register to vote and drop off the electoral register. Which is what happened last time, 

A lot of people only go on the electoral register because  its one of the requirements to pass credit checks for finance. They would not stay on once they got the credit card or mobile phone 

4 hours ago, Vince Green said:

All that people would have to do to avoid the poll tax is not register to vote and drop off the electoral register. Which is what happened last time, 

A lot of people only go on the electoral register because  its one of the requirements to pass credit checks for finance. They would not stay on once they got the credit card or mobile phone 

The rest of Europe has compulsory registration  of residents that was brought in by the allies at the end of WW2 and it works very well, but mention this in the land of the free UK and folks get up in arms about it. There is no other way to track the population and illegal immigration. Grow a pair Boris and do something useful.

1 hour ago, bavarianbrit said:

The rest of Europe has compulsory registration  of residents that was brought in by the allies at the end of WW2 and it works very well, but mention this in the land of the free UK and folks get up in arms about it. There is no other way to track the population and illegal immigration. Grow a pair Boris and do something useful.

I completely agree, it really couldn't be more obvious could it?

On 13/03/2021 at 07:45, bostonmick said:

Opposite my three bed is a eight bed three garage set in three acres detached but pays exactly the same council tax as me .So the current system is not a fair division .

Do they have more bins than you, use more street sweepers than you. 

The whole system is wrong. Why should a bigger property pay more, may only be one or two people living in it. Where as a small semi could have 8 living in it, yet pay much less.  Do more police or fire engines turn up if a 999 call is made, no. So what are they paying for.

It shouldn't ever be a wealth tax there are enough if them already.  

On 14/03/2021 at 12:35, figgy said:

Do they have more bins than you, use more street sweepers than you. 

The whole system is wrong. Why should a bigger property pay more, may only be one or two people living in it. Where as a small semi could have 8 living in it, yet pay much less.  Do more police or fire engines turn up if a 999 call is made, no. So what are they paying for.

It shouldn't ever be a wealth tax there are enough if them already.  

Fair or not the current system as far as i am aware is based on the rental value of the property.so if they are 2k or thereabouts a month and mine is 800 thdn yes they should pay higher or I should pay less.a poll tax style is a fairer way.as for what services we get weĺl bins emptied.no street lights no library no bus service.no road sweeping.no gulleys cleared.no verges cu unless locals do it for free.roads are more like hard-core tracks now.you can't get into the civic amenity sites so rubbish now dumped in gateways then cleared and paid for by us landowners.i could go on but really don't have hours to waste animals need tending.

2 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

i am aware is based on the rental value of the property.

Not so in fact.  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/understand-how-council-tax-bands-are-assessed

It is based on the notional value as at 1st April 1991 (in England) and the bands are arranged around the values.  Like you - I get bins emptied - and precious little else.

4 double beds /2 bathrooms and I pay £109 a month but I live on my own permanently . 
my kids stop over every other weekend but they are only young . To be fair I fill half  a bin and spend my life at work . 
I’d rather pay full amount and have a family but that’s a different story. 

my parents live in the same size house 1 mile away and pay £180 a month .

Mine is £300 a month. I think that is just nuts but there you go. I get my bin emptied once a fortnight, no street lights, no bus within 2-3 miles, roads full of potholes, etc etc.

Can't say I would move just to get it cheaper though. Rural 3 bed detached, not exactly a mansion.

20 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

Mine is £300 a month. I think that is just nuts but there you go. I get my bin emptied once a fortnight, no street lights, no bus within 2-3 miles, roads full of potholes, etc etc.

Can't say I would move just to get it cheaper though. Rural 3 bed detached, not exactly a mansion.

Bloody hell where is that? 
Must be one of the posh counties! 

4 bed town house in Bristol and ours has just gone up to £260 pcm. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Bloody hell where is that? 
Must be one of the posh counties! 

4 bed town house in Bristol and ours has just gone up to £260 pcm. 

Cheshire, but it shouldn't really matter. On the other hand the location makes a very big difference to the value, exact same house 20-30 miles away with better services could easy be worth a third less.

Out of interest, what sort of money would yours be worth? Mine would be £6-650k at a push.

Edited by 39TDS

2 hours ago, 39TDS said:

Cheshire, but it shouldn't really matter. On the other hand the location makes a very big difference to the value, exact same house 20-30 miles away with better services could easy be worth a third less.

Out of interest, what sort of money would yours be worth? Mine would be £6-650k at a push.

Next door just sold the other month for £450k. 

One a bit further up sold last year for £475k but had a lot spent on it. 

Depends on a lot of factors. Houses less than a mile down the road £250k. 

We do live in a major city where you can see those sorts of changes over short distances. 

2 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

Location location location as they say

The way in which they assess the value is here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/understand-how-council-tax-bands-are-assessed

Location is indeed part of it - as is size, type, 'character' etc.  The values are very much an 'approximation' as they don't take into account condition - which does of course affect the true resale value.  For example - two originally identical houses - one of which has been allowed to fall into disrepair and is in need of serious expenditure, and the other of which has been fully modernised (but not extended) and is in immaculate condition with expensively fitted out internals - will pay the same nominal council tax.  However - extending the property may move it to a different group.  It is all a bit of a lottery.

I appealed the banding on my first property. 
luckily a friend bought a house in 1991 with an extra bedroom and bigger garden just up the road. 
I used his sales pack as my trump card. 

my band was lowered along with a fair few others. 110 if I recall

upon enquiring as the estate was new it was subject to a paper banding using the present sale price minus x y z. 
All were 1 band higher than they should have been 

Edited by ph5172