Personal Macnab...

shootgun

Had a cracking morning few days ago on one of my permissions, went out for a muntjac, and after shooting a doe, swapped the rifle for the fishing rod.

Managed 3 jacks in about 45 minutes, and just as i was packing up a pair of canada came into land on the pool, so ended the morning with a left and right ( shotgun always ready whilst around water )

Superb morning and one happy landowner !

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

On 14/03/2021 at 06:27, shootgun said:

I only lost the rib cage, other than that , perfectly fit for consumption.

The .270 left an unusual big exit wound , it does happen from time to time.

I was just thinking that’s one hell of a hit on that munty :lol: I bet he didn’t run on? 

lovely day out! 

I find it disappointing that your post, covering three different field sports, has so far only received six responses.

Other threads covering such irrelevances as 'woke' and Harry and Megan are receiving much more attention. Pity.

Edited by JDog

9 minutes ago, JDog said:

I find it disappointing that your post, covering three different field sports, has so far only received six responses.

Other threads covering such irrelevanvaces  as 'woke' and Harry and Megan are receiving much more attention. Pity.

Thank you for your kind words!

That's alright, i'm not so important... Just wanted to share my experience with like minded people...

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Other threads covering such irrelevances as 'woke' and Harry and Megan are receiving much more attention. Pity.

Having never shot , or wanted to shoot a deer with a rifle , or caught Pike for that matter I couldn't say how bigger a achievement this would be , I have shot plenty of geese in what we would class as the shooting season but never shot any in March , also it might have put a few members off in answering seeing a small deer with a large part of it's belly missing .

So for some members it was a dream come true , and for others maybe it was best to keep there thoughts to themselves. 

4 minutes ago, marsh man said:

never shot any in March

I am similar wrt the geese. I’m all in favour of pest control, the geese are just large wood pigeons and very destructive. But for some reason it looks wrong to my eye even though I know it isn’t.

Nonetheless it’s a fantastic achievement and demonstrates a very rounded sportsman with ability I’m distinct areas of fieldwork. 

16 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Having never shot , or wanted to shoot a deer with a rifle , or caught Pike for that matter I couldn't say how bigger a achievement this would be , I have shot plenty of geese in what we would class as the shooting season but never shot any in March , also it might have put a few members off in answering seeing a small deer with a large part of it's belly missing .

So for some members it was a dream come true , and for others maybe it was best to keep there thoughts to themselves. 

To make it clear , that small deer it was an adult muntjac doe, invasive species and very destructive for the enviroment, same like the canada geese, and they got no close season.

March, August or January, it makes no difference to me as the landowner wants them gone. If i'm not doing it, he's going to bring someone else in my stead.

As for the belly, nothing was missing, just a slighty bigger than usual exit hole on a perfect heart and lungs shot , that deer was dead before it touched the ground.

1 hour ago, shootgun said:

To make it clear , that small deer it was an adult muntjac doe, invasive species and very destructive for the enviroment, same like the canada geese, and they got no close season.

March, August or January, it makes no difference to me as the landowner wants them gone. If i'm not doing it, he's going to bring someone else in my stead.

As for the belly, nothing was missing, just a slighty bigger than usual exit hole on a perfect heart and lungs shot , that deer was dead before it touched the ground.

May i politely suggest you ring Natural England reference shooting Canada Geese  under general license as it's not as simple as shoot them anywhere anyhow also they do still have a season which means a different set of rules/regulations than when they become out of season 

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

May i politely suggest you ring Natural England reference shooting Canada Geese  under general license as it's not as simple as shoot them anywhere anyhow also they do still have a season which means a different set of rules/regulations than when they become out of season 

Where are you getting your info from?  I'm not aware of any current season of any sort for Canadas.

https://basc.org.uk/advice/quarry-species-shooting-seasons/

*Canada geese

This species can be shot throughout the year (i.e. during the close season) in England, Wales and Scotland only under the terms and conditions of specific general licences

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-kill-or-take-to-prevent-serious-damage-gl42/gl42-general-licence-to-kill-or-take-certain-species-of-wild-birds-to-prevent-serious-damage

Table 1: action you may take to prevent serious damage, shown by species

Species (scientific name) for which action is to be taken Livestock - direct attack Livestock - feedstuffs and spread of disease Crops, fruit and vegetables Fisheries Inland waters
Canada goose
(Branta Canadensis)
No No Yes Yes Yes

18 hours ago, JDog said:

anyone shooting Canada Geese out of season will not get a ‘well done’ from me.