Personal Macnab...

shootgun

18 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Where are you getting your info from?  I'm not aware of any current season of any sort for Canadas.

https://basc.org.uk/advice/quarry-species-shooting-seasons/

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-kill-or-take-to-prevent-serious-damage-gl42/gl42-general-licence-to-kill-or-take-certain-species-of-wild-birds-to-prevent-serious-damage

Table 1: action you may take to prevent serious damage, shown by species

Species (scientific name) for which action is to be taken Livestock - direct attack Livestock - feedstuffs and spread of disease Crops, fruit and vegetables Fisheries Inland waters
Canada goose
(Branta Canadensis)
No No Yes Yes Yes

From Natural England that's why i suggested the OP to ring them. Yes you can shoot them 12months of the year but as i posted they have a season which when it ends 31 January you can then shoot them under the GL but it's not just the case ( not saying the OP done this ) eg whilst carrying a gun a pair/Skien of Canada Geese fly over and you can legally shoot them. So rather than be misguided just phone Natural England i personally know plenty taking pot shots at Canada Geese are breaking the law FACT. Apologies to OP i was/am trying to offer sound advice not derail his thread or start a Bun Fight

5 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

From Natural England that's why i suggested the OP to ring them. Yes you can shoot them 12months of the year but as i posted they have a season which when it ends 31 January you can then shoot them under the GL but it's not just the case ( not saying the OP done this ) eg whilst carrying a gun a pair/Skien of Canada Geese fly over and you can legally shoot them. So rather than be misguided just phone Natural England i personally know plenty taking pot shots at Canada Geese are breaking the law FACT. Apologies to OP i was/am trying to offer sound advice not derail his thread or start a Bun Fight

No one is taking pot shots, the canadas in question are being removed from a private fisherie at the owner request due to causing a lot of mess and damage around, perfectly legal under the General Licence.

Good post. I haven't come across the concept of the Macnab, it's an interesting one! I'm might try something similar for my location. This would be realistic:

• Goat with rifle
  • Snapper on rod
  • Kingfish on spear

Maybe swap out the kingfish for duck with shotgun, but I like the idea of covering all three of my interests. For most of the rest of NZ, deer with rifle, trout on fly and duck on shotgun is not only realistic, but highly likely. I know one chap who always takes a shotgun when he goes trout fishing. Apparently, the ducks think you are not a threat when you have a rod in your hand!

As an aside, it's a shame when someone actually puts up a good post about their activities it attracts negative comments. 

6 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

What's from Natural England? 

Why does anyone need to make a telephone call to Natural England? The seasons are defined, and general licences issued, by legislation from DEFRA.

It's all written down in black & white.  With respect I think you've got yourself in a bit of a twaddle.

16 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

What's from Natural England? 

Why does anyone need to make a telephone call to Natural England? The seasons are defined, and general licences issued, by legislation from DEFRA.

It's all written down in black & white.  With respect I think you've got yourself in a bit of a twaddle.

I'm not in a twaddle what so ever. I never accused the OP of anything . I'm fully aware of what can be done and can't legally. Quick question if i may. From 1st September to January 31st can you legally shoot Canada Geese with a FAC semi auto or pump action shotgun

On 17/03/2021 at 17:46, 6.5x55SE said:

I'm not in a twaddle what so ever. I never accused the OP of anything . I'm fully aware of what can be done and can't legally. Quick question if i may. From 1st September to January 31st can you legally shoot Canada Geese with a FAC semi auto or pump action shotgun

Yes on GL40, 41 & 42.

7 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

Yes on GL40, 41 & 42.

I'm fully aware what you can due within the GL my question was from 1st September till 31st January can you legally use  a FAC semi auto or pump action shotgun or are you suggesting Canada Geese are on the GL for 12 months of the year

The general license runs from 1st January to 31st December. Each license can be used for all listed birds on that license for the purposes listed on that license using any firearm, including semi automatic weapons, shotguns or airguns throughout the duration of the license. If you were shooting them just for sport or to eat them however, then it would be treated as wildfowling and the standard season and suitable shotgun and ammunition would then apply.

7 minutes ago, Rimfireboy said:

The general license runs from 1st January to 31st December. Each license can be used for all listed birds on that license for the purposes listed on that license using any firearm, including semi automatic weapons, shotguns or airguns throughout the duration of the license. If you were shooting them just for sport or to eat them however, then it would be treated as wildfowling and the standard season and suitable shotgun and ammunition would then apply.

And that's the reason i suggested people shooting Canada Geese as vermin/pests 12 months of the year with any type of shotgun phone Natural England/DEFRA .

Canada Geese can only be shot using GL rules and regulations from 1st February through to 31st August. As for the eating and sporting part I've never heard or read that  .

3 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

And that's the reason i suggested people shooting Canada Geese as vermin/pests 12 months of the year with any type of shotgun phone Natural England/DEFRA .

Canada Geese can only be shot using GL rules and regulations from 1st February through to 31st August. As for the eating and sporting part I've never heard or read that  .

As said before, it’s there in black and white.