Case resize

Hi lads how can I get the plastic cases I reload to fit my semi they are new case that I load for first time but when I reload them second time the are to thick in the middle so won’t  fit semi is there away to make them smaller in diameter the metal end is perfect as I have tried that to see if it fit breech

I am using fiber wads when I load first time the wads are nice fit in cases but second time they are loose it seems a shame that I can’t use them in semi as I don’t like o/u or sxs in hide all help appreciated.

they are 20 bore cases 

Hi vince that’s not the case they are to think in diameter to recycle in chamber they will fit in o/u or sxs but I don’t like using them in hide they are just to thick in diameter will load in magazine but not recycle from mag to chamber the bolt will not shame shut.

I have seen that happen in a .410 semi before  Years ago after the handgun ban a few people tried ,410 semis loaded with slugs, probably quite a heavy load, and the cases used to come out looking like coke bottles.

I had a bulged .410 case I picked up in my bits box in the garage, I will have to go an see if its still there.

I can't remember the make of the shotgun they used, it looked like an assault rifle, anyway they didn't catch on. Partly I think because the ammo was too expensive and partly because they didn't feed that reliably.

Edited by Vince Green

Andy h tried that mate I have tried everything I know but still big in middle the lad at Folkestone eng said that some people have put them in airing cupboard for a few days the warm resets the plastic as anybody else heard of this we don’t have a airing cupboard so was wondering put in greenhouse incubator would do the same thing suppose it’s worth a try

I'm no expert on this reloading stuff. But what I've found is that almost any 12g case will reload if its fired plastic wads or fibre. 20g, a lot more sensitive and prone to bulging after firing where the shot charge was. 410 almost hopeless. It seems the plastic cases we have here are so thin and without the additional protection from a plastic wad on first firing, the case just stretches. I use new Fiocchi cases for the 12g and 20g and load fibre.Both have a crimp close and I have in the past, been finished with a spinner. The cases show signs of bulging. Again, what I've found, sticking with 20g, is that if I just do a gentle crimp, no spinner, then the cases don't bulge and go again. I guess its to do with pressure too. I have not noticed any difference in the performance of the cartridge taking this route. I imagine a RTO would give similar results and be less destructive on the case. For the same reason, I reload 410 with an RTO. Most factory 410 loads are crimped now. Weak plastic combined with the high pressures in a 410 load, destroys most makes especially if they have previously been fibre rounds. In all cases, I load with an over powder card and fibre wad. 

I have tried Andy H's idea of re sizing from his kind advices, but it hasn't worked for me. Once the plastic has stretched, un like a brass case, it can't be shrunk back. I did experiment in all sorts of ways heat etc, to see if the cases retained memory, but with no success. 

I'd suggest not finishing the case of with a spinner, if you are, do as light a crimp as you can, experiment with an over shot card and shallow RTO finish.

Hope this helps.

Don’t think is anything to do with the crimp it’s just  way they are swelling up after first time of use I have tried roll turn but still will not recycle in semi I have also tried cases fired in o/u sxs and pump up the resize ring fits the steel and also the crimp and the roll turn it’s the part in middle that tight just can’t get it to stay resized I think I will have to buy new cases for crow/pigeon shooting and use the old ones on game days in o/u or sxs.

Thanks for your reply’s tony

If you've tried a RTO then i would say the cases are probably just really poor quality, unless you're running a really hot load. What cases are you using Snow white? If not using them already, ask John at FES if he can send you 25 Fiocchi to try. 

Edited by turbo33

I am using case of john from fes and they are fiocchi had 1000 of him about 6 weeks ago even tried reloading 

black gold cases with longer metal heads but they were the same will try putting some in over for half hour will try gas mark 4

only kidding just hot enough to warm them

thanks again tony

On 17/03/2021 at 13:14, Dangerous Brian said:

I had similar problems reusing .410 cases. The best way I found was to warm them up in the oven then put them through the resizing die still warm. It takes a bit of trial and error to get the heat right (too much and a perfectly good baking tray gets a nice plastic coating).

I travelled similar routes Brian, and realised it wasn't worth the faff! I now just use new primed cases, but can re use if I've done an RTO finish. However, we are already into 4p for a primer, excluding any hazmat charges, so the slight additional cost of a new trouble free primed case is a no brainer for me. Even the cost from John at FES for 2k primed 12g cases, delivered, means the new case itself is only 2p. The savings are really made in sourcing the shot, homemade being the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi lads tried putting resized cases in oven and it works just reloaded 25 cases and all recycled though semi with no problems 

I now want you mean turbo33 not really worth the trouble but john at Folkestone can’t or as not got 20 bore case in stock 

I would normally just bin them but last year I was struggling to get cases.

• 1 month later...
On 13/03/2021 at 21:11, Andy H said:

About 80% of the 410 i reload using cork wads will not chamber in my sxs so I run them through a sizing die after the final roll crimp.

in my case its the other way round i find that with the lyvale ribbed 410 cases if I reload with fibre wads they will chamber in my Mossberg 500 hushpower and fire but they just won't eject no signs of pressure etc the mossy just does not like em smooth wall cases no problems 

The wads are just that little bit oversized and they expand the case ever so slightly when loading if I use plastic wads i dont have a problem so I just use them now 

Edited by hafod

Try just readjusting your crimp set die, you may be applying just a tad too much pressure which is swelling the case. I had to do this in a similar situation. I load maybe  around 1000 a year and now rarely have a problem using Ficchi shells.  If I do it is my fault for not spotting the badly finished cartridge.

I use Folkestone felt wads.

Edited by Walker570