Chassie welding

snow white

Hi lads I have a Nissan Navara that’s had the Chassie checked all ok I have look after it for the last six years waxoil inside and out I am thinking of putting plates on Chassie I was a welder for years and I can put a good arc weld down but was wondering if a mig or tig welder would be better I have a Oxford 110 oil cooled welder do you think it would be to strung for Chassie the plates are 3mm and 4mm thick.

thanks for looking and all helpful advice I don’t need any wish cracks please 

Back in the late 1970s they used to gas weld the chassis of my Triumph Vitesse 6. Each MoT as it came off its assessment from the inspection pit it had so much yellow chalk underneath it looked like a map of the Circle Line on the London Underground. So my point is that if you weld in short "stitches" and allow adequate cooling I don't see distortion as a problem. The flame and heat will sort out the Waxoyl on the line you are welding enough for your purpose.

Edited by enfieldspares

4 hours ago, snow white said:

The waxoil on the outside will be took of it’s the waxoil on the inside of Chassie  that I am a bit concerned with will it set fire and if so what do I put it out with as I don’t want to put water down inside of Chassie 

if you have a 2nd cylinder of CO2 funnel some gas into thje chassis whilst you are welding...........if you stitch weld as ENFIELD  says... or what some welders call wandering...it is unlikley that the internal waxoyl will catch alight

just on a side note ...mr muscle oven cleaner is good for melting/dissolving off waxoyl...

59 minutes ago, snow white said:

Thanks ditchman was good to stitch weld then join welds after cooled down 

EXCACTLY..............also have a soaking wet rag to hand...to dab the welds if things get too hot.....just take your time and switch from one side of the vehicle to the other..

Hello tagether I would like to just say if you are welding near a big hole in the chassis ( meaning what should be there) mind it don't ignite and blow in your face , I had this happen when welding Land Rover chassis up years ago with gas welding when owners had put waste oil in chassis. All so I have drilled a hole in bottom of chassis at lowest point to let oil out when heated.You don't think there is much but suprising sometimes when it gets warm .Hope this helps and not gone on a bit but have had many hours welding Land Rover chassis up

On 13/03/2021 at 22:14, ditchman said:

if you have a 2nd cylinder of CO2 funnel some gas into thje chassis whilst you are welding...........if you stitch weld as ENFIELD  says... or what some welders call wandering...it is unlikley that the internal waxoyl will catch alight

just on a side note ...mr muscle oven cleaner is good for melting/dissolving off waxoyl...

We used to pump diesel fumes into HGV  diesel tanks when we brazed patches on to them . Obviously mig will be a lot hotter though 👍

On 13/03/2021 at 18:00, snow white said:

The waxoil on the outside will be took of it’s the waxoil on the inside of Chassie  that I am a bit concerned with will it set fire and if so what do I put it out with as I don’t want to put water down inside of Chassie 

Hello, a co2 fire extinguisher 

22 hours ago, snow white said:

Morning thank for that but there are no holes in Chassie these are just strengthening plates 

Hello, as Simon mentioned, a mig welder is best, 

On 13/03/2021 at 16:22, snow white said:

That’s the Nissan navara plates that you buy two side plates and one that’s welded under the two side plates for each side 

Hello, what are the plate thickness? and chassis ? I see 3 and 4 mm , you can arc weld 3 and 4 mm plate but only if chassis is in good condition , your main problem is the internal wax oil , white spirit will get the outer chassis oil off, you could spray latter inside and steam clean after, leave for a few days to dry out , then weld but with a co2 extinguisher handy, never use water or powder extinguisher , 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

If you can find a local fire extinguisher company then if you ask nicely then they may sell a couple of co2 extinguishers that are out of test cheap. As said don’t use water but if things go really wrong then a hose pipe is going to save the day (from experience see notes on carpets below) 

if you are welding anywhere near any of the internal structure then remove carpets and sound deadening also. And finally check for wires they always  seem to be hiding right where you are welding! 

once done park it away from anything you cherish and check every hour for a couple of hours to make sure nothing is smouldering, I try and leave mine overnight away from the house, garage etc just in case as there is normally a lot of residual heat. 

I'd MIG weld it using stitch welds then join together if required, TIG welding would take forever and really does need to be clean, I'd leave the MMA alone as you'll have nothing but problems with slag inclusions. Grind all pieces  to bare metal before you start you'll find it makes like a whole lot easier. Keep a CO2 extinguisher to hand and a fire watcher probably wouldn't go amiss.