Marvelous Marvin Hagler RIP

chrisjpainter

I was a big Alan Minter fan and saw him robbed at the Olympics. He seemed to have everything - good brain, decent speed, decent chin and a punch. I then watched the Hagler fight and was astonished. Every time Hagler hit Minter another bump appeared on his face. It was as if he had concrete in his gloves. The scenes that followed were not British boxing's finest hour. I started to follow Hagler and was always impressed. A hard lad, who was on the wrong end of a couple of truly awful decisions.

He was a class act inside and outside of the ring.

Just lost myself on YouTube for over an hour reviewing some of his finest moments.  He was so obviously head and shoulders above the competition at the prime of his career.  What struck me was his physical condition - totally ripped, and compared to Tony Sibson who looked like a bucket of lard it's no wonder he could brush him off with relative ease. 

What an era he represented!

Alberto Hands of Stone Duran best middle weight brawler since LaMotta

Thomas Hitman/Motorcity Cobra Hearns an allrounder with an explosive punch and the first boxer to win the world champ at five different weights

Marvellous Marvin Hagler undefeated for seven years with more knockouts per fight than any other middleweight champion 

Sugar Ray Leonard arguably the best middleweight boxer since Sugar Ray Robinson, who ended Hagler's unbeaten run, at least according to two out of three judges at ringside.  

Each was a legend and each fought each other, giving us some of the best fights in history.   A spectacular loss to the world of sport.  

I've had a picture from Hagler v Mugabe on my desk for well over twenty five years.  He was an example inside and out of the ring.  Chin down, fists up, and swing with precision!