How to kill time?

eddoakley

32 minutes ago, 243deer said:

from a boxful of materials that cost 10x buying the best quality flies available - but there is still something about catching on flies you have tied yourself

Yes, but it doesn’t seem right paying £3 for a fly when I can spend hours wasting materials until I come up with something nowhere near as well tied having spent £40 on materials to tie it...

Edited by oscarsdad

3 hours ago, oscarsdad said:

Yep fly tying, it’s a slippery slope, filling boxes and boxes with flies, become a perfectionist and never being happy with them and then fishing the same patterns and only using 10% of the flies you tie lol!

Its a real slippery slope when you first start for sure!! Then i realised I've tied up loads and loads of patterns but in the local river I could count about 5 different wets and a few dries that I use with the odd wildcard thrown in to see how it works. Most of my river fish have been caught on pheasant tails or hares ear 14s and 16s.

If you like tinkering and making things get yourself a 3d printer you could also involve your son in it he can make things for around the house or toys or whatever he is into.

In the 60's and 70' i had meccano, lego or spirograph to keep me busy as a kid, 3d printers are the modern day equivalent of those things and it depends on what type of shooting you do you can find loads of things to make that will keep you occupied and the old grey cells working.

You can spend countless hours restoring a vintage vehicle. a little vintage tractor or something would be ideal. Buy right and they dont cost the earth and you have a nice thing to play with it at the end of it all. This assumes you have a garage or suitable workshop space next to the house thats within baby monitor range. 

Or model engineering if thats you thing, the stuff some people make in a little 8x6 shed with just a lathe and small mill is fantastic. 

Get an X box :). Although I may get shot down for this I have been online gaming for years and have got to know quite a few people from various parts of the globe. I tend now not to get involved with too much in depth stuff that requires a load of commitment but still tend to drop on a couple of times a week to game with some old mates in different parts of the country. 

Edited by Zetter

Thanks for the replies guys.

It's all a learning curve.

As soon as I move I'll have the rowing machine so that can take up a few hours one I build up again. Used to do 2 marathons a week (never under 3hrs) so will have that soon.

Me and The Boy have loads to do when he's awake, it's the time he's sleeping that's killing me. I was described yesterday as a bit of a gypsy and not liking to be tied down. I have never really been one for spending time in the house.

No garage or workshop here or at the next place so that takes a lot of the suggestions out of the equation.

I did ties some flies as a kid but not sure if I could get into that now. Haven't used one in probably 20 years.

There only so much internet you can browse!

Once I move I'm sure there will be more opportunity for some company but I need to make sure that doesn't mean drinking! I like it but don't want to fall into doing it too much. Going to concentrate a bit on the fitness.

I just have to get used to it I guess.

Edd

Plant a few veggies or potatoes etc 

If you don’t have the space outside then try a few herbs / chillis on the windowsills. 

Growing is good for the kid as well as yourself! 
You could spend hours potting up if you want being delicate. 

Plus you both get something to eat at the end of it.....