Knife handles wanted

Mungler

I have a drawer full of these - I got them off eBay for peanuts ages ago and these have been used daily for probably knocking on 10 years (and being dishwashered).

I could just buy some more off eBay for peanuts, but I’ve grown attached to these - nothing spreads butter / bovril on toast like these bad boys.

So, are there any budding lathe operators or the like who can give me a price for some turned handles for these and which will withstand the dishwasher? I could use 10 (as I know of a few of my mates in a similar position). Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Ta very all.

61465838-5939-418E-84EF-94724117141F.jpeg

36 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, try making a mold and make a new handle in resin, or you can buy a mold if you do a search, but some wood handles would look nice, 

That’s a good idea.

I like the idea of resin - something modern and durable.

Antler, goat horn ?????      I agree , those old knives do spread better than anything else we have and those could be fairly quickly made into some very nice individual pieces of cutlery.  I personally would go for goat horn or if you can get it buffalo.  Quite a few water buffs bred in this country today.

Resin is a bit too modern for my liking on thise old knives.

This my very old spreader which I put an antler handle on over ten years ago and even though used many times daily has not moved.

005.jpg

Edited by Walker570

Mungler, I have a growing connection of similar loved but used knives with broken or missing handles.

I am planning to make some simple stainless handles drilled to fit the tang of the knives and araldite them on.

I shall make a few extra for you.

Let me know if you are interested.:good:

On 15/03/2021 at 08:11, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Mungler, I have a growing connection of similar loved but used knives with broken or missing handles.

I am planning to make some simple stainless handles drilled to fit the tang of the knives and araldite them on.

I shall make a few extra for you.

Let me know if you are interested.:good:

I’m in squire and the wallet is open - let me know what you need.

I sharpened one of the blades up on the longer knife (with the view of turning it into a filleting knife) and the blade was wicked to the point of dangerous because it looked like a butter knife - I gave that knife to a mate at work (and I think that that could do with a new handle).

I think there’s a viable back garden business of buying these old stainless deco knives off eBay for as little as possible, marrying the blades to new handles and then flogging them as unique artisan filleting knives. 

Bottom line, the edge I put on that butter knife you could shave an egg with - great steel on those old knives.

19 minutes ago, Mungler said:

I’m in squire and the wallet is open - let me know what you need.

I sharpened one of the blades up on the longer knife (with the view of turning it into a filleting knife) and the blade was wicked to the point of dangerous because it looked like a butter knife - I gave that knife to a mate at work (and I think that that could do with a new handle).

I think there’s a viable back garden business of buying these old stainless deco knives off eBay for as little as possible, marrying the blades to new handles and then flogging them as unique artisan filleting knives. 

Bottom line, the edge I put on that butter knife you could shave an egg with - great steel on those old knives.

Yep, that knife I put photo of also comes up like a razor.