Head injuries

Scully

Good point JDog, lots of us will have suffered headaches from firing heavy cartridges. It has to be affecting in some way. It's like getting repeatedly jabbed in the cheek and jaw with a uppercutting jab.

Edited by figgy

3 hours ago, figgy said:

Good point JDog, lots of us will have suffered headaches from firing heavy cartridges. It has to be affecting in some way. It's like getting repeatedly jabbed in the cheek and jaw with a uppercutting jab.

Surely if it was that severe there would be heavy bruising too.

On 15/03/2021 at 07:28, Scully said:

I wasn’t inferring people were unaware, simply that apart from a tragedy it doesn’t seem to get the same coverage whenever as football or rugby when being discussed on the news, and certainly not recently. 
I suppose head guards could be used, but I always felt being hit hard while wearing one had a more concussive effect than when not wearing one. Perhaps that was just me. 🙂

I started boxing encouraged by my farther from virtually the moment I could walk and competed at a decent level until I was 28 before continuing to a lesser extent into my 30s. Head trauma was never really talked about or thought about, or at least not by me until recently with it being in the news all the time. Head guards in my opinion do very little if anything to prevent shock to the brain, I guess its like putting an egg in a steel container, you can put as much padding around the container as you want, but when it hits the ground, the egg smashes against the container or that's how it felt to me being hit, I used to wear one before a fight if I was doing heavy sparring for prep with competition gloves more to stop cuts and tears from being hit or clashes of heads, I believe the amateurs have done away with them now so I'm guessing there's something in it.