Ferret Hunting Advice

EoinGalway

Full belly before a hunt, otherwise they may opt for the running buffet ! Remember to give them a light lunch of some rabbit liver and if possible some water as its hungry and thirsty work hunting !

**If so how long before they go hunting ?** Do you mean after a meal or do you mean how old they need to be before they hunt ?

**If so how long before they go hunting ?** Do you mean after a meal or do you mean how old they need to be before they hunt ?

As in what time before they are sent down the burrow?

I've heard if you feed them only an hour or so before hand the can be inclined to lay up for a quick nap if things are going slow..

I am also a newbie to this but what I do is give them a feed before going out. Not huge but enough to stop them being hungry.

As already mentioned, running about underground is hard work and mine always fall fast asleep when they get back home.

Bit like me after a hards day work.

bless.

/Mad

• 2 weeks later...

As in what time before they are sent down the burrow?

I've heard if you feed them only an hour or so before hand the can be inclined to lay up for a quick nap if things are going slow..

I`ve never heard or had that happen, however I always have feed in their cub during the winter and my routine is to wake them up and handle them and get them excited, their first action is to have a dump and after I leave they tend to have something to eat. If you have plenty of rabbits on your ground the ferrets will be sharp, remember that the ferret has little to do in the summer and it makes up for it in the winter by going full pelt. The only major lie ups I`ve had are when they have been worked for 3-4 days hard and they need a break.